Automatic "NIGHT SHIFT" for OS Sierra 10.12.4

There is a new update for OS Sierra in 10.12.4 which among some useful updates includes something called "NGHT SHIFT".

This has been around in IOS devices for a while but not on macs.

Copy of article from "Mac Rumors" below.

"Night Shift, the feature first introduced in iOS devices with iOS 9.3, has expanded to the Mac with the release of 10.12.4. Night Shift is compatible with 2012 and newer Macs, so it won't work on older machines. 

For those unfamiliar with Night Shift, it's designed to cut down on the amount of blue light you're exposed to during the evening by shifting the display of a Mac to a more yellow tone. Blue light is said to have a harmful effect on your circadian rhythm, making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep. 

Studies suggest that eliminating blue light exposure at night might help you sleep just a bit better, but it does significantly change the look of your display. Many Mac users have been using blue light reduction software f.lux for years now, but with Night Shift, there's no need to install an additional app because it's an operating system feature."

There is potentially a very bad side effect for photographers who like to work late in that the colours of any images worked on during the night time hours will not be correct due to the mac shifting the colour gamut automatically into the yellow area.

So far I have not found any details, other than above, and no mention as how it could be switched off.

This could obviously curtail our processing of RAW images unless a switch off command becomes available or, as will probably be the case, we find a work around.

Comments please.

Allan

If we're lucky, it might not apply to Photoshop ... Fingers' crossed.

Or any adobe processing software.

Allan

Allan

Apparently you can adjust the night shift timings in the Preferences - Display settings. Or you can toggle it on and off altogether in the Notification Centre.

Thanks Gary I hope you are right.

Allan

PS PLEASE NOTE For those who allow automatic updates it is already on your system.

ITMA

There is nothing to fear Allan. It can definitely be switched on and off. Type night shift into Mac Help in the Finder and all will be revealed.

Thanks Mick.

Allan

Thank God for Windows 10 .................... bet you never thought I would say that!!

I didn't know God was in the software business :).  But if she was, then I bet she would be a Mac user/developer.

Come to think of it, isn't it Windows 10 that is forced on people without their knowledge or consent or is that just another urban myth :ph34r:?

I just updated my Mac and discovered Night Shift is turned off by default so there's no need to worry that your screen color will shift unexpectedly.

Here's Apple Support's page on how to set it up.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207513

Oh, you mean Apple isn't "forcing" updates like some suppliers do? How novel. Love my Mac.

Thank God for Windows 10 .................... bet you never thought I would say that!!

I didn't know God was in the software business :).  But if she was, then I bet she would be a Mac user/developer.

Come to think of it, isn't it Windows 10 that is forced on people without their knowledge or consent or is that just another urban myth :ph34r:?

Yep, probably right he/she would have been a Mac user .... and all the angels would have iPhonesm or iPads

as for '... forced on people without their knowledge or consent ...,' isn't that was this post is about with a Mac?

This blue light rubbish seems to be the latest "in thing". After seeing a documentary or news article about it recently, which debunked it as nonsense, I just see it as yet another sales gimmick to make people believe they're helping their health in some way.

Not that I use a MAC and never intend to.

Geoff.

I'm the same - PC all the way for me!

This blue light rubbish seems to be the latest "in thing". After seeing a documentary or news article about it recently, which debunked it as nonsense, I just see it as yet another sales gimmick to make people believe they're helping their health in some way.

Geoff.

I haven't heard about the debunking.  Most of the research I've read demonstrates that blue light affects melatonin production which affects sleep.

Maria

Yep, probably right he/she would have been a Mac user .... and all the angels would have iPhonesm or iPads

as for '... forced on people without their knowledge or consent ...,' isn't that was this post is about with a Mac?

That was a misunderstanding on Allan's part. There is no forcing. It's switched off by default. This is generally the case with Macs and often not the case with Windows in my experience.

That was a misunderstanding on Allan's part. There is no forcing. It's switched off by default. This is generally the case with Macs and often not the case with Windows in my experience.

Exactly Mick. I found out later that is switched off by default thanks to you.

If you wish to use "Night shift" you have to switch it on.

It was the Apple wording saying it would work AUTOMATICALLY that caused my concern.

Sorry if I mislead you guys. :huh:

Allan

Geoff.

World News Now (aka Insomniac News) ran a story about this a few months ago. It's a theory, nothing more. For those of us who have trouble sleeping at night it's something to consider.

Either way Apple isn't charging for it. It's a feature included in a free system update, so the idea that that it's some sort of sales gimmick doesn't apply.

When I was using Windows, way back when, updates were paid for.

Great thing with Apple is that all updates are free. :)

Allan

Archived