Adding to a previous LR import

I assume, since I've checked the tutorials, that I can't add new photos to an import I'm working on.

A few times I've taken a few extra images that fit in with those I've already imported and would like to do that. Say I imported bird photos. Then the next day, I take 6 more.

In PS CC I can do that. Just upload them to the folder of birds already on my desktop and open in PS with the rest. But with the import feature of LR, that's not doable, is it?

I think you probably can choose which folder you want them to go into but I would just let them go into a new folder and then move them to the folder you want them in. I usually let my imports go into folders by date and then as I am going through them I move them into different folders... i.e. "lions" "zebras". I make new folders and then drag and drop. When you select them to move you click on either the frame or the image (can't remember which but it will be clear when you see if you can drag it.) Of course, I don't do folders on my desktop as I think you do. All my organization is within Lightroom.

Paulette

Edit: I'm not sure but since I think you still use folders on your desktop you could put the images there and then select them for import. I'm quite possibly just making you as confused as I am. In any case, it is possible to move photos around to different folders in Lightroom.

Set up a saved collection like Alamy Possibles and you can add new imported photographs to that manually (and probably programmatically but I don't know for sure as I simply set add new photographs as I work through new imports).

I don't use collections or any of the features but the below. MDM has tried to convince me to learn that!

I simply create a folder on my desktop > Upload a card through my card reader to that folder > Go to LR, and import those images > Develop > send to PS > tweak further > Upload the finished images to Alamy.

Save the folder to two desktop HDs and delete the folder from my desktop.

Do nothing else in LR. No collections or management.

But if I shoot three or four similar images the next day, it would be nice if I could open my last upload and add those 3 or 4 new images to it. I guess I'm nitpicking, and should let those new ones have their own import folder.

Thanks, gals!

Put the new images into the same folder via your file system.  In LR go to that imported folder in the Library module.  Right click (Windows) on the folder name and choose Synchronise from the menu.  The new images will be imported, firstly as a stand alone set but, if you click on the folder name as part of that entire set.  Repeat as many times as you need.

Hi Betty,

I work in a similar way to you. I think there maybe a slightly roundabout of doing this, providing you haven't made individual LR adjustments to the images you've already imported that you want to keep.

When looking at the thumbnails of your Previous import in the Library tab, select all the images (cmd + A)

Now right click and select "Remove photos"

In the pop-up dialog box click "Remove". DO NOT choose the "Delete from disk" option or you'll lose your images altogether.

This will remove the images in you previous import from your LR catalog, together with the record of any LR adjustments you made to them.

Now simply reimport the entire folder to which the new images have been added. Then all your images will appear together as your "Previous import"

Although it's possible to do it this way, you could simply import the new images and then Click on "Catalogue" in the left hand panel and select "All Photographs" instead of "Previous import" and you'll see all your images.  However, if you've not been tidying up your catalogue when you delete the folder from your desktop each time, you may be horrified to see the thumbnails of all the images you've previously imported, processed and then deleted with exclamation marks in the corner of each (image is missing).

If you want to remove all this "debris" fro the catalogue, then Cmd + A then Remove will do this. Assuming there's nothing in the catalogue you want to keep.

Betty, I wasn't saying anything about Collections but on the left I think you will see folders no matter where your actual photos are stored. Mine are stored on an external hard drive. Anyway, you can always do an import of a group of photos and say that you don't want to import any that are already in the catalog. I have a feeling you will get very clear instructions from MDM for your particular situation.

Paulette

I hope I'm not missing something in your question, but do you mean adding photos to one of your Lightroom folders?

- In Library mode, right-click on the target folder

- In the drop-down, choose "Import to this folder"

I have a feeling you will get very clear instructions from MDM for your particular situation.

Paulette

I don't think so - I've given up on Betty and LR :). I've tried and failed I'm afraid. In any case M.Chapman has I'm pretty sure hit the nail on the head and has said what I was thinking when I read this earlier . It is indeed a very odd way of working with LR which is a very benign and very well designed program - nothing to be scared of at all but ???

I don't think so - I've given up on Betty and LR :). I've tried and failed I'm afraid. In any case M.Chapman has I'm pretty sure hit the nail on the head and has said what I was thinking when I read this earlier . It is indeed a very odd way of working with LR which is a very benign and very well designed program - nothing to be scared of at all but ???

It is indeed benign and well written and I agree that I (and Betty?) use LR in an odd way. But for me, OSX and Windows already have indexed filing systems that I'm familiar with and do what I need. I just connect my external HDD to whichever computer I'm using, and wham, there are all my images. I can search them, copy them, rename them, view thumbnails, slideshows etc. It's not as powerful as LR, but I know how to use it, there's no catalogue to get out of synch and I'm free to use whatever tools I want to directly access and modify my images at any time. Apart from LR which requires images to be imported first.

If I could use LR without the catalogue I would, but unfortunately that's not an option. So my RAW images are temporarily imported into the catalogue for processing and then removed afterwards. That being said, I am slowly doing more of my processing in LR and less in PS as I learn more. Maybe one day I'll do it all in LR, but I'm not there yet...

It is indeed benign and well written and I agree that I (and Betty?) use LR in an odd way.

I was referring to Betty actually but I guess your fear of the catalog could fit my idea of the odd (in the nicest possible way) bin as well. The fact is that the catalog is just that - a database that keeps track of files - it doesn't actually alter anything in the raw files (any changes are written into the sidecar xmp files).  You can use any other catalog or file system at the same time and they shouldn't interfere with each other. I've never tried using the same catalog on a Mac and Windows (I've not had a Win machine in many years now) but I do take my main catalog with me on my Mac laptop when I travel and then just copy it back to my Mac desktop when I'm home. It's a simple matter of finding the missing files which takes a minute or two and is not difficult at all once. I expect it should be just as easy to do from Mac to Win although I'm not clear why you would want to have LR running on two different platforms (laptop- desktop?)

You can use any other catalog or file system at the same time and they shouldn't interfere with each other.

In a way, that's the problem. I wish changes made elsewhere were seen by LR. If I move/delete/rename/copy an image using Windows or OSX or another application LR losses track of the file. Whereas all my other applications PSE, BreezeBrowser, Finder or FileExplorer are "self-synchronising" as they just use the existing directory structure.

I'm not clear why you would want to have LR running on two different platforms (laptop- desktop?)

Kind of. It's all down to the hardware I have. I have a MacBook and a PC in a different locations. I prefer Mac OSX to Windows, but my old PC hardware won't run OS-X. So, until I can afford to upgrade my PC to a Mac, that's where I am. I like to be able to use whichever system depending on where I am.

Yes but you can find the missing files really easily - if a folder is missing, then there will be a question mark over it and the option to find it. It's a trivial matter to refind it and it will have kept the previews. I've never had it go wrong yet and I do it a lot.

Yes but you can find the missing files really easily - if a folder is missing, then there will be a question mark over it and the option to find it. It's a trivial matter to refind it and it will have kept the previews. I've never had it go wrong yet and I do it a lot.

Even easier, if you have moved or deleted many from your 'real' file structure, choose the root folder in LR Library module and right click to choose synchronise, it will allow you to re-import all lost files and delete previews which have the exclamation mark on them.

Just a quick question. Do I actually need to know what a sidecar file is, or can I safely remain in blissful ignorance? I've been using LR for about 5 years and exporting to PS when required, which is very rarely. I've only been using RAWs for a couple of years as you know.

If there is a quick explanation I'd be grateful.

Even easier, if you have moved or deleted many from your 'real' file structure, choose the root folder in LR Library module and right click to choose synchronise, it will allow you to re-import all lost files and delete previews which have the exclamation mark on them.

I'm sure you're right. I'll check it out next time I move files from my laptop to my desktop.

Just a quick question. Do I actually need to know what a sidecar file is, or can I safely remain in blissful ignorance? I've been using LR for about 5 years and exporting to PS when required, which is very rarely. I've only been using RAWs for a couple of years as you know.

If there is a quick explanation I'd be grateful.

I'ts been a long day but if you use them you need to know they exist if you are ever manually copying your images. They are simple text files that store all the metadata from your raw processing. You don't have to use them, you can use the LR catalog to store metadata but I think this is a bad idea as you are tied to LR if you do. In the Catalog Prefs, set Always write changes to XMP if you want to use them. Then the raw data is readable by other programs.

This what Adobe have to say:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/metadata-basics-actions.html

I hope I'm not missing something in your question, but do you mean adding photos to one of your Lightroom folders?

This sounds like the solution I'm after, Bill. Yes, that's what I want to do. Bless you!

MDM, if you were walking in my shoes, you'd understand why, as much as I'd love to learn LR properly, I. Have. Absolutely. No. Extra. Time. To do so.

My husband has dementia. Just getting my images developed and keyworded is monumental with interruptions every few minutes. I can't tell you how many brilliant keywords that have come to me and been lost from my frazzled brain after yet another interruption. Then I have a large house to care for, deal with everything (repairmen, or do the actual needed painting or anything I can muddle through and fix) by myself. I've just spent 9 weeks ferrying him to daily radiation for prostate cancer. So it's ok to give up on me, I've almost given up on myself.

Our daughter took him for two days a week ago so I could get out and shoot, and it was dreary and misty both days. :(

Thinking about trying to learn something new when I must have uninterrupted concentration gives me the heebie jeebies these days.

So I ask a little question, hope for a simple solution, and ingest it for now. Bite by bite. Or maybe nibble by nibble would be more appropriate.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions freely given of your time. I've always thought this is the best forum I know.

Betty

This sounds like the solution I'm after, Bill. Yes, that's what I want to do. Bless you!

MDM, if you were walking in my shoes, you'd understand why, as much as I'd love to learn LR properly, I. Have. Absolutely. No. Extra. Time. To do so.

My husband has dementia. Just getting my images developed and keyworded is monumental with interruptions every few minutes. I can't tell you how many brilliant keywords that have come to me and been lost from my frazzled brain after yet another interruption. Then I have a large house to care for, deal with everything (repairmen, or do the actual needed painting or anything I can muddle through and fix) by myself. I've just spent 9 weeks ferrying him to daily radiation for prostate cancer. So it's ok to give up on me, I've almost given up on myself.

Our daughter took him for two days a week ago so I could get out and shoot, and it was dreary and misty both days. :(

Thinking about trying to learn something new when I must have uninterrupted concentration gives me the heebie jeebies these days.

So I ask a little question, hope for a simple solution, and ingest it for now. Bite by bite. Or maybe nibble by nibble would be more appropriate.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions freely given of your time. I've always thought this is the best forum I know.

Betty

Betty - I am sorry to hear of your awful situation and I certainly wasn't intending to add to any problems you have.

I just meant I was giving up trying to persuade you to use Lightroom properly - that is going back a few steps and understanding what the LR catalog is and how it works with your folder structure. This would make your image workflow so much easier. This goes back a few years of course since I first started trying to help you with LR and there must be 10 threads in this forum where we have discussed this. I know that if you had done or did now take this small step, you would have far fewer problems and questions. In other words, the reason you have difficulties is that you are not using it properly. 

In any case I wish you the best in dealing with the troubles in your life. I am sure you will emerge from this eventually stronger, happier and even more productive with your images.

You can pick any folder you want to import them to. Just hit "Import" and then on the right side, choose the folder you want to put them in. 

I suspect Betty is hoping to import the extra images so they join the others in her "Previous import" collection as she doesn't use LR "folders".

I think my suggestion above is possibly the only way to achieve this.

It may be an illogical way of working, but Betty isn't the only one working this way. I do the pretty much the same. All my images are already stored in a folder structure of my own making going back over 30 years now. I've no need or desire to import this structure into the LR catalogue.

When I'm about to process a batch of images for Alamy, I select and copy some RAW files from wherever into a folder called "Working folder" using BreezeBrowser. I then import the contents of this folder into LR and adjust and convert each RAW file into a PSD which is exported directly into PSE where I make the final edits and save as 8 bit jpg. I upload the finished jpgs to Alamy. The JPGs and their RAWs then get archived (moved) to a new folder called "Alamy submission NNNNN" and the PSDs get deleted, leaving the Working Folder empty. I then clear the LR catalogue, ready for the next batch.

A bit convoluted, but it works for me.

Why don't I use LR for everything?

1) I find BreezeBrowser provides much, much faster way of viewing, sorting,rejecting and moving images without any need to import images first. The 100% side by side compare of 2, 3 or 4 iages is superb and extremely fast.

2) For pixel based editing I much prefer PSE to LR

Why do I use LR at all?

1) I like to use develop presets

2) Excellent CA removal

Mark

You can pick any folder you want to import them to. Just hit "Import" and then on the right side, choose the folder you want to put them in. 

I suspect Betty is hoping to import the extra images so they join the others in her "Previous import" collection as she doesn't use LR "folders".

I think my suggestion above is possibly the only way to achieve this.

It may be an illogical way of working, but Betty isn't the only one working this way. I do the pretty much the same. All my images are already stored in a folder structure of my own making going back over 30 years now. I've no need or desire to import this structure into the LR catalogue.

When I'm about to process a batch of images for Alamy, I select and copy some RAW files from wherever into a folder called "Working folder" using BreezeBrowser. I then import the contents of this folder into LR and adjust and convert each RAW file into a PSD which is exported directly into PSE where I make the final edits and save as 8 bit jpg. I upload the finished jpgs to Alamy. The JPGs and their RAWs then get archived (moved) to a new folder called "Alamy submission NNNNN" and the PSDs get deleted, leaving the Working Folder empty. I then clear the LR catalogue, ready for the next batch.

A bit convoluted, but it works for me.

Why don't I use LR for everything?

1) I find BreezeBrowser provides much, much faster way of viewing, sorting,rejecting and moving images without any need to import images first. The 100% side by side compare of 2, 3 or 4 iages is superb and extremely fast.

2) For pixel based editing I much prefer PSE to LR

Why do I use LR at all?

1) I like to use develop presets

2) Excellent CA removal

Mark

What I don't understand is why you don't retain the archived raws in the LR catalog and don't wish to import your file structure. You must surely want to make changes sometimes to your original raw conversion even if it's a tweak of white balance. If so, then you have to reimport given that you are using PSE and don't have full PS/ACR. Using LR and BreezeBrowser together would not conflict.

Similarly I don't understand dumping PSDs on which you have worked - presumably saving disk space but I guess that depends on how you value your time. Disk space is very cheap now. Also you never want to modify or tweak your PSDs? I'm frequently going back to my PSDs and raws and making changes - easy when all held together in a LR catalog.

But I doubt anything I say is going to change your mind.

I think the difference between you and Betty is that you are very comfortable with computers and don't have problems with your workflow, even if it is non-standard. I think Betty's problems all arise because of her refusal to understand that very fundamenal LR feature - the catalog and how it works with file storage.

What I don't understand is why you don't retain the archived raws in the LR catalog and don't wish to import your file structure. You must surely want to make changes sometimes to your original raw conversion even if it's a tweak of white balance. If so, then you have to reimport given that you are using PSE and don't have full PS/ACR. Using LR and BreezeBrowser together would not conflict.

Similarly I don't understand dumping PSDs on which you have worked - presumably saving disk space but I guess that depends on how you value your time. Disk space is very cheap now. Also you never want to modify or tweak your PSDs? I'm frequently going back to my PSDs and raws and making changes - easy when all held together in a LR catalog.

But I doubt anything I say is going to change your mind.

I think the difference between you and Betty is that you are very comfortable with computers and don't have problems with your workflow, even if it is non-standard. I think Betty's problems all arise because of her refusal to understand that very fundamenal LR feature - the catalog and how it works with file storage.

Hi MDM, many thanks for your comments. I hope that you're being too pessimistic when you doubt that anything you say will change my mind. I'd like to think I am receptive to change, indeed I recently changed from Windows to Mac and I'm quite happy with Linux and DOS. But it is getting more difficult.

The reason I don't retain the LR RAW adjustments in the catalogue is that they are usually so quick and minor and I simply use a preset. The majority of my time editing is still done in PSE where the adjustments are not recorded anyway. Also I rarely go back and re-edit (I've got too many new images waiting to be processed, without going back and re-tweeking ones I've already finished). If I need to make a tweek I'm usually happy to edit the quality level 11 jpg again anyway, or to start all over.

I am slowly doing more in LR (as I learn), but in most cases I still find PSE to be faster (partly because I am more familiar with it, but also because I find most adjustments I make in PSE appear instantly (i.e. very interactive), whereas (on my hardware) LR is somewhat laggy.

Notwithstanding, this is a useful thread. At some point I may go fully LR and then I'll get all the benefits, but it may have to wait until I have more powerful hardware. 

Archived