Adding to a previous LR import

When I first used LR (version 4) it was very different and put me off at first, but I learned it quickly and now couldn't manage without it and am a big fan of how much easier it makes working with images. When I used PSE, I didn't use the cataloguing feature as I saw no benefit to it and wanted to use my own folder structure. I still prefer my own folder structure as it's the same then with any other software I use with my images, but LR works well with that.

Betty has already had an answer to her question so there's no need for me to repeat it, but after reading other's posts about their workflow I thought I'd add details of how I do it, for anyone who's interested or wants to compare notes. or yell at me for doing it the "wrong way".  :)

I have LR setup to always import every image to the same folder on my SSD. That's where all my images go no matter what my plans for them are. I have a subfolder off that called "Alamy-Preparing", and I drag all images I plan to use on Alamy to that folder. Some I'm unsure about, so I just leave them in the original import folder along with any older imported images until I decide if I want to delete them, use for Alamy or use for something else. Think of it as my photo in-tray. Then I go through the "Alamy-Preparing" folder to do my processing and editing. Once they're done, I move them to another sub-folder "Alamy-Ready". It helps me keep track of what's what if I don't finish all the processing before wanting to upload to Alamy. So when I'm ready to upload, I export all images in the ready folder to another subfolder using an export preset that creates the JPGs, and I upload them via FTP from that folder. Once they're uploaded, I delete the JPGs and drag everything from "Alamy-Ready" to an appropriate folder on my HDD for long-term storage and backing up.

All the dragging is done in LR, so the XMP sidecar files used for RAW edits are automatically moved too. I always keep the RAW files, plus any TIFF files created if I edit in PS. Everything is where I want it in my own folder structure for using with other software, accessing from my NAS, etc.. All my exports are done using presets and everything goes to the correct folder without me having to choose them every time. I have different export presets for Alamy, depending on if I want to downsize, upsize, or leave the size as it is.

I agree with MDM that learning the basics of how LR handles images would really help those who struggle with it, but I know from experience with helping family that if someone isn't interested in or comfortable with computers generally, they won't take things in and won't want to try to learn. It is frustrating for geeks like me when after hundreds of explanations over 2 decades my Parents still don't understand what a folder is, but we're all different.

Geoff.

Thanks for your detailed description of your workflow in LR. Very informative.

I hope I'm not missing something in your question, but do you mean adding photos to one of your Lightroom folders?

- In Library mode, right-click on the target folder

- In the drop-down, choose "Import to this folder"

This sounds like the solution I'm after, Bill. Yes, that's what I want to do. Bless you!

MDM, if you were walking in my shoes, you'd understand why, as much as I'd love to learn LR properly, I. Have. Absolutely. No. Extra. Time. To do so.

My husband has dementia. Just getting my images developed and keyworded is monumental with interruptions every few minutes. I can't tell you how many brilliant keywords that have come to me and been lost from my frazzled brain after yet another interruption. Then I have a large house to care for, deal with everything (repairmen, or do the actual needed painting or anything I can muddle through and fix) by myself. I've just spent 9 weeks ferrying him to daily radiation for prostate cancer. So it's ok to give up on me, I've almost given up on myself.

Our daughter took him for two days a week ago so I could get out and shoot, and it was dreary and misty both days. :(

Thinking about trying to learn something new when I must have uninterrupted concentration gives me the heebie jeebies these days.

So I ask a little question, hope for a simple solution, and ingest it for now. Bite by bite. Or maybe nibble by nibble would be more appropriate.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions freely given of your time. I've always thought this is the best forum I know.

Betty

Betty - I am sorry to hear of your awful situation and I certainly wasn't intending to add to any problems you have.

I just meant I was giving up trying to persuade you to use Lightroom properly - that is going back a few steps and understanding what the LR catalog is and how it works with your folder structure. This would make your image workflow so much easier. This goes back a few years of course since I first started trying to help you with LR and there must be 10 threads in this forum where we have discussed this. I know that if you had done or did now take this small step, you would have far fewer problems and questions. In other words, the reason you have difficulties is that you are not using it properly. 

In any case I wish you the best in dealing with the troubles in your life. I am sure you will emerge from this eventually stronger, happier and even more productive with your images.

Thank you. My above problems have been ongoing in the more severe aspect for 3-4 years. Longer than that with stages.

I tackled PS back when I first bought it and didn't have a clue how to use it. And thought it fun figuring it out.

Hopefully, someday I will have the opportunity to do that with LR. I love the develop panel or otherwise I'd just use PS.

While I keep a clean house, when it comes to managing the shoes on my closet floor, it defeats me much like the organization of LR. ;)

You can pick any folder you want to import them to. Just hit "Import" and then on the right side, choose the folder you want to put them in.

I suspect Betty is hoping to import the extra images so they join the others in her "Previous import" collection as she doesn't use LR "folders".

I think my suggestion above is possibly the only way to achieve this.

It may be an illogical way of working, but Betty isn't the only one working this way. I do the pretty much the same. All my images are already stored in a folder structure of my own making going back over 30 years now. I've no need or desire to import this structure into the LR catalogue.

When I'm about to process a batch of images for Alamy, I select and copy some RAW files from wherever into a folder called "Working folder" using BreezeBrowser. I then import the contents of this folder into LR and adjust and convert each RAW file into a PSD which is exported directly into PSE where I make the final edits and save as 8 bit jpg. I upload the finished jpgs to Alamy. The JPGs and their RAWs then get archived (moved) to a new folder called "Alamy submission NNNNN" and the PSDs get deleted, leaving the Working Folder empty. I then clear the LR catalogue, ready for the next batch.

A bit convoluted, but it works for me.

Why don't I use LR for everything?

1) I find BreezeBrowser provides much, much faster way of viewing, sorting,rejecting and moving images without any need to import images first. The 100% side by side compare of 2, 3 or 4 iages is superb and extremely fast.

2) For pixel based editing I much prefer PSE to LR

Why do I use LR at all?

1) I like to use develop presets

2) Excellent CA removal

Mark

Exactly. Except I go through my images in Bridge first, delete the undesirables and import what's left to LR. I may import similars to check what each looks like after using the upright tool for all that needs that particular correction. Sometime a bit too much is taken off one image, but I don't know that until I use the tool.

I'll add that tool to Mark's list, along with noise correction.

I shoot a lot of buildings so the upright tool is amazing.

Just one suggestion that I find useful. I use Smart Collections and stars to do automatic sorting. In my case it is one star for images I want to copyright, two for ones that have been registered with the copyright office, three for ones I have "developed", four for those I am uploading and five for those accepted by Alamy. Because I have my smart collections set that way I don't have to spend time dragging and dropping. The images just go automatically to those folders. I'm sure other people would find different ways that fit their workflow. I also use the color labels to sort automatically.

Paulette

I just took a long hot shower and took that time to think, thanks to this thread.

There are things that come easy for me. I have written and been published. I have painted watercolor and sold. I have designed and made jewelry and sold. It is easy for me to do artistic things to my images. Add baking and cooking, I got that. Decorating my home.

There are many things that don't come easy for my creative brain. A lot of technical stuff. Hooking up all those wires to a computer, DVR or stereo system. Figuring out how to change the clock on my new car. Figuring out how to use all the features of my latest DVR that is hard for me, easy for my daughter. Figuring out the LR system.

Mark Chapman has made me realize that I use LR exactly how I want to use it, although I have a question from time to time within those uses.

I love my folder system, like Mark. It does what I need it to do.

So not using the LR organization is not a "refusal", it is a choice. It is a choice to not figure out something that is inherently hard for me, but choosing organization that is inherently easy for me.

It's all about free choice, which we all have.

With this epiphany, now I can quit worrying about LR organization and how to do it someday, and free my mind to do the things I do well.

I use but a fraction of the power of Photoshop, but what I do use is exactly what I want and need to do. Just because something is "there" doesn't mean I'm a failure for not using it.

Thanks Mark. You made me see my path.

Edited to add, that was the best shower of my life. ;)

I'll add that tool to Mark's list, along with noise correction.

I shoot a lot of buildings so the upright tool is amazing.

Agreed I use the auto upright / straighten / rotate tools. They seem to work really well, especially with the auto-contstrained crop.

I usually find I don't need NR in LR as I usually shoot at lowest ISO on MFD sensor and don't apply much detail sharpening

Betty, my answer works for you probably because I use LR approximately the way you do. Keep on doing what works for you. For a tool like a hammer, there aren't a lot of different ways to use it; for a tool like Lightroom, there are many ways.

And hang in there.

Betty, my answer works for you probably because I use LR approximately the way you do. Keep on doing what works for you. For a tool like a hammer, there aren't a lot of different ways to use it; for a tool like Lightroom, there are many ways.

And hang in there.

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate the encouragement. My weekend company is gone, the computer is on, and I'm getting ready to test your solution. I'm hoping I can scrape up some raw files to import. I've not had an opportunity to shoot for the past 10 days.

You can pick any folder you want to import them to. Just hit "Import" and then on the right side, choose the folder you want to put them in. 

I suspect Betty is hoping to import the extra images so they join the others in her "Previous import" collection as she doesn't use LR "folders".

It may be an illogical way of working, but Betty isn't the only one working this way. I do the pretty much the same. All my images are already stored in a folder structure of my own making going back over 30 years now. I've no need or desire to import this structure into the LR catalogue.

When I'm about to process a batch of images for Alamy, I select and copy some RAW files from wherever into a folder called "Working folder" using BreezeBrowser. I then import the contents of this folder into LR and adjust and convert each RAW file into a PSD which is exported directly into PSE where I make the final edits and save as 8 bit jpg. I upload the finished jpgs to Alamy. The JPGs and their RAWs then get archived (moved) to a new folder called "Alamy submission NNNNN" and the PSDs get deleted, leaving the Working Folder empty. I then clear the LR catalogue, ready for the next batch.

1) I find BreezeBrowser provides much, much faster way of viewing, sorting,rejecting and moving images without any need to import images first. The 100% side by side compare of 2, 3 or 4 iages is superb and extremely fast.

Why do I use LR at all?

2) Excellent CA removal

Mark

What I don't understand is why you don't retain the archived raws in the LR catalog and don't wish to import your file structure. You must surely want to make changes sometimes to your original raw conversion even if it's a tweak of white balance. If so, then you have to reimport given that you are using PSE and don't have full PS/ACR. Using LR and BreezeBrowser together would not conflict.

Similarly I don't understand dumping PSDs on which you have worked - presumably saving disk space but I guess that depends on how you value your time. Disk space is very cheap now. Also you never want to modify or tweak your PSDs? I'm frequently going back to my PSDs and raws and making changes - easy when all held together in a LR catalog.

But I doubt anything I say is going to change your mind.

I think the difference between you and Betty is that you are very comfortable with computers and don't have problems with your workflow, even if it is non-standard. I think Betty's problems all arise because of her refusal to understand that very fundamenal LR feature - the catalog and how it works with file storage.

Hi MDM,

As a result of your encouragement I've taken another step towards greater LR integration into my workflow. I had been using Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems to download my images because it supported my 30 year old directory/folder structure, whereas LR didn't. However, after some digging I found the trick of editing the LR file called TranslatedStrings.txt that allows customisation of the options for the destination folders. So I was able to create an option that doesn't occur in the standard list.

If anyone else is interested the trick is here.

So now another part of my workflow is handled by LR and is fully compatible with my folder structure.... I'm getting there - one step at a time! Now I don't need Downloader Pro any more, which is good because it only ran under Windows (or in a virtual windows machine on my Mac).

Thanks!

Why do I use LR at all?

2) Excellent CA removal

Mark

What I don't understand is why you don't retain the archived raws in the LR catalog and don't wish to import your file structure. You must surely want to make changes sometimes to your original raw conversion even if it's a tweak of white balance. If so, then you have to reimport given that you are using PSE and don't have full PS/ACR. Using LR and BreezeBrowser together would not conflict.

Similarly I don't understand dumping PSDs on which you have worked - presumably saving disk space but I guess that depends on how you value your time. Disk space is very cheap now. Also you never want to modify or tweak your PSDs? I'm frequently going back to my PSDs and raws and making changes - easy when all held together in a LR catalog.

But I doubt anything I say is going to change your mind.

I think the difference between you and Betty is that you are very comfortable with computers and don't have problems with your workflow, even if it is non-standard. I think Betty's problems all arise because of her refusal to understand that very fundamenal LR feature - the catalog and how it works with file storage.

Hi MDM,

As a result of your encouragement I've taken another step towards greater LR integration into my workflow. I had been using Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems to download my images because it supported my 30 year old directory/folder structure, whereas LR didn't. However, after some digging I found the trick of editing the LR file called TranslatedStrings.txt that allows customisation of the options for the destination folders. So I was able to create an option that doesn't occur in the standard list.

If anyone else is interested the trick is here.

So now another part of my workflow is handled by LR and is fully compatible with my folder structure.... I'm getting there - one step at a time! Now I don't need Downloader Pro any more, which is good because it only ran under Windows (or in a virtual windows machine on my Mac).

Thanks!

You made my head hurt. I think I'll go create some art. ;)

Archived