Website offline for essential maintenance

I have something new on many of my images.....The ones that don't have model releases (except those taken in wild places). Haven't checked a lot but should be interesting. A bit worrisome in terms of discouraging sales.

"If you want to use the image commercially , you’ll need to get permission from the model, artist, owner, estate, trademark or brand. Find out more on our releases help page."

Paulette

Edit: As far as I can tell it is based on whether I have stated people or property in the image. If yes to either and no release the image has this warning. Sensible, I suppose.

I have something new on many of my images.....The ones that don't have model releases (except those taken in wild places). Haven't checked a lot but should be interesting. A bit worrisome in terms of discouraging sales.

"If you want to use the image commercially , you’ll need to get permission from the model, artist, owner, estate, trademark or brand. Find out more on our releases help page."

Paulette

Edit: As far as I can tell it is based on whether I have stated people or property in the image. If yes to either and no release the image has this warning. Sensible, I suppose.

I'm not too keen on that new heading either.

That is going to change the way I answer the property question. No more blanket yes and no if it's a field or a church or a landscape, say, or state-owned, or a brand-free street scene, or otherwise not readily identifiable as someone's property.

Some updating for me then.

I've noticed some inconsistency here.  From what I can see - and I have only checked a limited number of searches - all my images with "Do you have a property release" - answer "No" have the warning quoted above.  However, other, almost identical images, with the same attributes (Property release? - No) don't have it.  Some do, some don't.  Why do you think this might be? 

And do you think it will give an advantage to those that don't have the warning?  Perhaps some buyers may shy away from the ones with the warning if they're not sure of their legal position.

It would be good to get some clarification from Alamy on this.

I've noticed some inconsistency here.  From what I can see - and I have only checked a limited number of searches - all my images with "Do you have a property release" - answer "No" have the warning quoted above.  However, other, almost identical images, with the same attributes (Property release? - No) don't have it.  Some do, some don't.  Why do you think this might be? 

And do you think it will give an advantage to those that don't have the warning?  Perhaps some buyers may shy away from the ones with the warning if they're not sure of their legal position.

I suspect it will be the way the Attributes section in Manage Images was filled.  If you leave the section asking if a property release is required as No then no restriction will be applied.  If you say Yes and then say you have no release then the restriction will be applied.  That's how mine look.

I suspect it will be the way the Attributes section in Manage Images was filled.  If you leave the section asking if a property release is required as No then no restriction will be applied.  If you say Yes and then say you have no release then the restriction will be applied.  That's how mine look.

I understood Chris to be saying that there are differences for images with attributes filled in the same way = inconsistency.

Pearl

I understood Chris to be saying that there are differences for images with attributes filled in the same way = inconsistency.

Pearl

Yep, that's what I meant.  Just did some random searches where I knew some of my images would crop up and, although mine had the warning, several others didn't even though they had "Releases: Property - no, Model - no".  Same as mine.  Here are a couple of examples, if you can be bothered: No warning - EHD0Y0 and others by same photographer; Warning - H1NXTH and others by the same photographer (i.e. me).

The playing field seems to be sloping.

Chris

I'm not much of a computer chap but can these things take a few hours to complete? I know that MI doesn't update until a few hours after "ready" images go "on sale", and that it takes a few minutes for all the "ready" images to show as "on sale" in MI.

Presumably this was why we didn't get a Saturday update as we usually do nowadays.

Paulette

Ironically, I just had a license drop in yesterday for a unreleased photo shot during an Occupy Wall Street march. The new warning would seem to advise against licensing an image such as this for commercial use.

Rights Managed

Usage: Commercial electronic

Media: Web advertisement, single design

Industry sector: Banking & Finance & Insurance

Start: 07 October 2016

End: 07 January 2017

The image will appear in a test ad running in paid Facebook advertising for a 24 hour period beginning October 7, 2016.

Archived