Portable hard drives with SD card slots for travel

I'm going on a month long trip in a couple of months and I'm thinking of buying a WD My Passport HD for back up purposes in case of SD card failure/loss.

My question is, does anyone have any experience of using one of these?  I currently take a small netbook with me when I am away for a while and back up the SD cards to the netbook's HD, but a portable HD would be lighter and take up less space.  It would also make it a slightly simpler process to upload the images to the computer when I get home as al the images would be on one device rather than spread over several SD cards.

Any thoughts from the Alamy contributer hive mind? 

I would be very suspicious to any storage based on spinning drives for travel. Lost all data when My Passport was bumped a bit and some parts moved inside (hopefully those were 100% backed up by the time). Now concidering affordable SSD alternative for travel.. 

I have been using the NextoDI for some years now, with complete success.  It is possible to install your own internal drive (very simple, no technical knowledge required): I use a 1TB drive in mine.  It has slots for CF and SD cards.  The cards are copied automatically to new folders, and with the latest firmware the device will, if you choose, recognise only newly added files and copy those (not entirely reliable, in that sometimes it does not recognise a card it has previously copied from, but the occasional full copying of a card is better than having to make full copies every time).

I do worry about a device with a mechanical hard drive, but it has never been a problem for me.  My strategy is to try to have enough cards for all the pictures I will take on a trip, and to copy all of them to the NextoDI device, but I invariably underestimate the number of cards I will need, so I am usually reliant on the NextoDI as my primary source, at least in part.  In hotel rooms, it is always locked in the safe so that it cannot be knocked off a table accidentally by hotel room cleaners.  En route, it always travels in my hand luggage with my cameras: I have found a nice snug-fitting case for it for additional protection (in addition to the case supplied with the device), and I suspect that it would survive being dropped, although I hope never to put it to the test.

This is the second such device that I have had.  The first was similarly reliable.  I replaced it with a newer version which supported CF as well as SD cards, simply to get this additional functionality, not for any reasons of dissatisfaction with the original. 

As I think you will gather from these comments, this is a travel storage device which I would highly recommend.  The latest version has USB3 support and can be easily connected to my laptop, from which it looks like any other external drive.  I create my new Lightroom catalogue for each trip in the top folder on the NextoDI drive, so that all the new folders created by the device are below the catalogue.  Then when I return home, I can copy the entirety of the files with the catalogue in place in the same structure to their intended permanent location, and import from the new catalogue into my main catalogue, which saves a tremendous amount of work, particularly if I have done a lot of editing or keywording on my travels.

Graham

I like the NextoDI also. Now that I have a laptop I can travel with my main storage is that with external hard drives but the Nexto is so fast that I also back everything up on it. Overkill perhaps but the trips I do are all "once in a lifetime" and even if I go to the same place the animals are different or doing different things.

Paulette

I took several on a three month trip to South America. They all survived and still work. I'd do it again.

Ooops, just noticed you're talking about wifi ones. I used normal drives connected to a netbook.

Also check out 7dayshop.com - they sell extremely cheap SDHX cards - 64GB for just over a tenner (when I last looked). 

I would be very suspicious to any storage based on spinning drives for travel. Lost all data when My Passport was bumped a bit and some parts moved inside (hopefully those were 100% backed up by the time). Now concidering affordable SSD alternative for travel..

Thanks for replying. I share your worries over HDs with moving parts. I've never experienced a hard drive failure yet, and I've been using computers for a long time. Maybe I've been lucky and my first failure is just around the corner ;-)

I'll be using the drives purely as a back up for SD cards, however. I tend to treat cards as film; when they are full, they are put into storage as a last ditch back up - after the Time Machine back up and off site back up. I am only looking for a temporary back up for when I am away.

I have been using the NextoDI for some years now, with complete success.  It is possible to install your own internal drive (very simple, no technical knowledge required): I use a 1TB drive in mine.  It has slots for CF and SD cards.  The cards are copied automatically to new folders, and with the latest firmware the device will, if you choose, recognise only newly added files and copy those (not entirely reliable, in that sometimes it does not recognise a card it has previously copied from, but the occasional full copying of a card is better than having to make full copies every time).

I do worry about a device with a mechanical hard drive, but it has never been a problem for me.  My strategy is to try to have enough cards for all the pictures I will take on a trip, and to copy all of them to the NextoDI device, but I invariably underestimate the number of cards I will need, so I am usually reliant on the NextoDI as my primary source, at least in part.  In hotel rooms, it is always locked in the safe so that it cannot be knocked off a table accidentally by hotel room cleaners.  En route, it always travels in my hand luggage with my cameras: I have found a nice snug-fitting case for it for additional protection (in addition to the case supplied with the device), and I suspect that it would survive being dropped, although I hope never to put it to the test.

This is the second such device that I have had.  The first was similarly reliable.  I replaced it with a newer version which supported CF as well as SD cards, simply to get this additional functionality, not for any reasons of dissatisfaction with the original. 

As I think you will gather from these comments, this is a travel storage device which I would highly recommend.  The latest version has USB3 support and can be easily connected to my laptop, from which it looks like any other external drive.  I create my new Lightroom catalogue for each trip in the top folder on the NextoDI drive, so that all the new folders created by the device are below the catalogue.  Then when I return home, I can copy the entirety of the files with the catalogue in place in the same structure to their intended permanent location, and import from the new catalogue into my main catalogue, which saves a tremendous amount of work, particularly if I have done a lot of editing or keywording on my travels.

Graham

That's very interesting. I'll certainly consider these. I like the idea of having the LCD screen to keep a check on what's happening etc.

I've used the MyPassport. Does it's job but if like me you don't have access to a computer when you're away you have to take a leap of faith and assume

that everything has downloaded ok as there isn't anyway of checking, simply a blinking LED to tell you that something is happening.

I would never erase any cards whilst I was away but keep the full cards and the drive in separate places if possible.

I should also point out that I'm a bit techno-phobic ie don't really know what I'm talking about !

I like the idea of having the LCD screen to check a check...

The LCD screen is not much use for reviewing anything, other than seeing the progress of copying.  For review of images, the screen on the back of your camera will be more use.  It's very useful (reassuring) that it tells you that the previous copy was a success etc. 

Graham

I have recently been considering this problem with two trips coming up in the next twelve months, and have decided as my camera has dual card slots, to do a backup in the second slot as I shoot. I figure that as cards are cheaper than other drives that this is a better option. Only works if you have the second slot though! :lol:

Thanks, everyone for the interesting and detailed replies.

The NextoDI seems to be the best option for my purposes, although the WD has the advantage when it comes to price (why is he best never the cheapest ;-))

Anyway, thanks again for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I do a fair amount of travelling overseas and use my iPad Air 2 for backing up all my images which, together with not deleting anything off my SD cards, satisfies my requirements. Obviously nice to be able to review the images on a reasonably sized screen as well.

I do a fair amount of travelling overseas and use my iPad Air 2 for backing up all my images which, together with not deleting anything off my SD cards, satisfies my requirements. Obviously nice to be able to review the images on a reasonably sized screen as well.

That's an interesting idea, especially as the new version of Lightroom Mobile allows Raw image uploads which sync back to your main catalogue.  I think space might be an issue, though, for Raw files.  I'll definitely look into it.

I use a compact USB powered Samsung hard drive (500Mb or 1TB)when travelling and usually keep the data on the cards as well, in any case I also copy them to the hard drive of my laptop. I have experimented with USB 64Gb flash drives for shorter trips as back up for my cards & laptop SSD (potentially not big enough for very long trips). That is probably the route especially if the larger flash drives come down in price, they don't need to be especially fast as they are not working data.

I copy the images to the laptop, do a very quick cull of complete no-hopers and then add copyright notice and basic caption/keyword data. Then I copy to back up. If I need to do any more work (I sometimes upload news while on the road) I do it on the copy on my laptop (unless I have had to overflow on to the USB HD) and I backup again afterwards .

I use one of these - Toshiba 1TB Canvio Aerocast USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive.

Plugs into the laptop like any portable drive but also has a SD slot which can automatically backup files.

Runs on an internal battery when not plugged in & you can connect a phone/tablet via wireless to manage files.

Can be had for a very good price & no problems so far...

I use one of these - Toshiba 1TB Canvio Aerocast USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive.

Plugs into the laptop like any portable drive but also has a SD slot which can automatically backup files.

Runs on an internal battery when not plugged in & you can connect a phone/tablet via wireless to manage files.

Can be had for a very good price & no problems so far...

Thanks, that's something I'll certainly look at.

I've gone through various travel backup systems. Started with laptop and portable drive, on one trip the laptop simply died, no way of replacing it as out on an island but was able to use the resorts computer out of hours to save photos.

Then went to another laptop and a couple of DgiMate drives. These have battery, can plug card in and simply copies files without any display. They were cheap, about £12 and added own laptop drive. They never gave a problem and worked on many trips, but won't handle the newer larger cards, but will still copy my 32GB CF.

Went for a netbook to replace laptops as smaller, lighter at the time. This was an affordable solution to give multiple backups using the DigiMate which could be carried separately. Always wanted a minimum of 3 copies of each photo and on independent media. Now have two larger USB portable drives to use with netbook, but slightly worry about being dependent on a computer to do the backups so may look at some of these other newer photo drives.

I have had cards corrupting photos, so I don't treat them as any more secure than a hard disk.

I took one of these to Japan http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wireless_readers/mlwg3

It worked really well for backing up to a usb hdd. If I was worried about spinning hard drive, a large usb stick or 2 would work just as well. Only slight snag is that you have to control it with a phone or tablet.

It's also useful for sharing an internet connection with others in your party.

I put some films on the hdd and kids could watch them on their tablets during the journey.

Archived