DACS opt out of Alamy claim

I've had an email from Alamy saying that I'm opted out from Alamy claiming payback from DACS on my behalf. I'm perfectly happy with that as I've done the claim work myself for the past two years and bagged the whole amount for myself, not just 50% of it.

However, Alamy are asking if I would like to opt in for DACS payback on TV usages of my images only.  Does anyone know of any good reason why I should take up this offer? I've never previously had TV usage but this year I have one such sale. Is there a particular difficulty with identifying qualifying TV usage which would give an edge to Alamy doing the work on my behalf? Also, is there a risk of confusion if Alamy makes one claim for my TV usage and I make another for print items?

I've had an email from Alamy saying that I'm opted out from Alamy claiming payback from DACS on my behalf. I'm perfectly happy with that as I've done the claim work myself for the past two years and bagged the whole amount for myself, not just 50% of it.

However, Alamy are asking if I would like to opt in for DACS payback on TV usages of my images only.  Does anyone know of any good reason why I should take up this offer? I've never previously had TV usage but this year I have one such sale. Is there a particular difficulty with identifying qualifying TV usage which would give an edge to Alamy doing the work on my behalf? Also, is there a risk of confusion if Alamy makes one claim for my TV usage and I make another for print items?

Do you know where the image(s) were used i.e. the programme. If not, you have no supporting evidence which is needed for the claim. I always let my agencies claim for TV as I generally don't get full disclosure on the exact programme/channel etc. There are some TV schemes which are not allowed to be claimed for as well, so it's naturally easier to let the agency do the work.

Not sure if Alamy have any TV claims for me but other agencies do have a number and I am happy for them to get some payback.....

Yup, filing for TV usages is really complicated, if not impossible most of the time. Best to let Alamy take care of them IMO.

Both DACS claims -- one's own and Alamy's for TV usages -- are submitted and paid separately, so I don't think there is much risk of confusion.

The only info I have is that it was editorial on an ITV branded platform. It seems that I have little choice other than to let Alamy claim for the TV stuff, which I will do reluctantly as the amount concerned here is going to be small and 50% of small is very small indeed (according to the Clemson theory of micro-economics).

The only info I have is that it was editorial on an ITV branded platform. It seems that I have little choice other than to let Alamy claim for the TV stuff, which I will do reluctantly as the amount concerned here is going to be small and 50% of small is very small indeed (according to the Clemson theory of micro-economics).

Less Alamy costs. Even smaller for you. :(

But better than nothing if you can't do it yourself. :)

Allan

I had the email saying I am opted out too. It also stated that if I would like Alamy to claim for TV usage for me to let them know.

So have opted IN to TV claims ONLY.

Allan

I had the email saying I am opted out too. It also stated that if I would like Alamy to claim for TV usage for me to let them know.

Allan

I'll be doing the same. 

Allan

I'll be doing the same. 

Me too, although last year nothing came of my TV claims. Alamy said they weren't eligible for some reason.

I should know this but I don't....

Last year I opted for Alamy to claim my DACS .  If I decide not to use Alamy this year how do I go about it?

I can't see anything to tick in my account etc.

John

|Tell MS PDQ.

I've opted in for alamy to make the TV claim on my behalf, but opted out for the Book claim. I've had a few license for TV recently, but I've got no idea where they have been used, and I'm unlikely to spot them.

It's also possible that I've had RF sales which were for TV use, but they only show as RF sales with no details about where they have been used.

My direct DACS claim is maxed out, so it might not add anything to the final amount, but since my direct claim doesn't include any TV claim, the alamy claim on my behalf might add a bit, even after commision.

Don't get too excited even claiming TV on a direct DACS claim, doesn't add a huge amount

I've had an email from Alamy saying that I'm opted out from Alamy claiming payback from DACS on my behalf.

I didn't get that email. Where do we opt out? Last year, I got the emails saying if I wanted Alamy to claim payback for me, I could, but I just did it myself, I don't think I opted out so much as didn't opt in.

Archived