I have just got rid of my none-Fuji photo gear (see the final chapter in the story at I am purely a Fuji photographer) and am now starting to clear out my old magazines to make space. In particular I have an almost complete set (I think) of Photon/PhotoPro/Master Digital and other Icon/David Kilpatrick magazines.

It seems a shame to just send them for recycling. Anyone have any ideas how to find a new home for them? Indeed, does anyone want them, when I get them all together? I will keep the ones that have articles or pictures by me but that is only a handful. Because of the bulk and weight the recipient will have to arrange collection! No charge but a donation to a stroke charity would be appreciated; perhaps via a friend's Just Giiving page - she is lined up to do a sky dive when the weather is suitable (sooner her than me)!

Martin

Oh my . . . I feel for you, Martin, but I can't reach you. In our ultra-modern digital world, magazines = clutter. Books, LPs, paper files are now clutter too. When you get down to the nitty-gritty of this project, things will look even worse--the weight, the packaging, the transportation of lots of heavy stuff. I have a great second-hand store near me, but I don't recall that they handle magazines. (see below). You are still in the wishful-thinking, denial stage. You need a rare, sane collector (are stamp collectors actually sane?). 

I have one suggestion: contact DavidK and ask him what to do. inside-the-housing-works-bookstore-cafe-

Edo

Oh my . . . I feel for you, Martin, but I can't reach you. In our ultra-modern digital world, magazines = clutter. Books, LPs, paper files are now clutter too. When you get down to the nitty-gritty of this project, things will look even worse--the weight, the packaging, the transportation of lots of heavy stuff. I have a great second-hand store near me, but I don't recall that they handle magazines. (see below). You are still in the wishful-thinking, denial stage. You need a rare, sane collector (are stamp collectors actually sane?). 

I have one suggestion: contact DavidK and ask him what to do. inside-the-housing-works-bookstore-cafe-

Edo

Contacting DK is on my list.

Edo, I realise it is wishful thinking but I felt I had to at least try! :

Oh well, :(

I have just got rid of my none-Fuji photo gear (see the final chapter in the story at I am purely a Fuji photographer) and am now starting to clear out my old magazines to make space. In particular I have an almost complete set (I think) of Photon/PhotoPro/Master Digital and other Icon/David Kilpatrick magazines.

It seems a shame to just send them for recycling. Anyone have any ideas how to find a new home for them? Indeed, does anyone want them, when I get them all together? I will keep the ones that have articles or pictures by me but that is only a handful. Because of the bulk and weight the recipient will have to arrange collection! No charge but a donation to a stroke charity would be appreciated; perhaps via a friend's Just Giiving page - she is lined up to do a sky dive when the weather is suitable (sooner her than me)!

Martin

Isn't there a public library or photoclub that could find them useful?

Martin

Isn't there a public library or photoclub that could find them useful?

I may try my old Photo Society (member way back in the late 1970s), perhaps local RPS branch and I have a friend who has just come back into photography.

Whatever, the magazines will be going. Decluttering is very therapeutic.

Speaking of David Kilpatrick, is he vanished, or worse, banished? i do miss his pearls of wisdom. or maybe Icon is taking up all his time.

David K is still a member of this forum. A few years ago he bought back the magazine(s) he had previously launched: http://www.iconpublications.com

I imagine his publishing and editing work keeps him very busy, probably too busy to hang out in the forum these days. Let's all just wish him luck and thanks for his past posts.

Edo 

Speaking of David Kilpatrick, is he vanished, or worse, banished? i do miss his pearls of wisdom. or maybe Icon is taking up all his time.

Let's all just wish him luck and thanks for his past posts.

...and speaking personally for making sure I always buy the right DSLR. And buying my Photokina articles when the had the budget for them.

I've purchased a number of DVDs and a magazine or two from an eBay seller in Snodland, southeast of London. As a buyer, I find her excellent to deal with but have no idea what deals she makes in acquiring collections.

Among her various enthusiast magazines, I do see some on photography here: http://stores.ebay.com/englishendeavour/Photography-/_i.html?_fsub=550522119&_sid=699138519&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Cheers,

Don

Martin, I stopped in at the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe in Soho yesterday and asked the nice lady if they took in used magazines . . . or knew somewhere that did. The answer was no and no, and I could tell that it was a question she'd been asked many times before.

Get thee to the nearest recycling center.  :)

Martin, I stopped in at the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe in Soho yesterday and asked the nice lady if they took in used magazines . . . or knew somewhere that did. The answer was no and no, and I could tell that it was a question she'd been asked many times before.

Get thee to the nearest recycling center.  :)

Thanks Edo, I really appreciate the effort,

So instead of ashes to ashes it is pulp to pulp ...

Schools? I found a home for my enlarger at ICP. Gave it away to a photography student. I know they have a library so maybe something like that near you.

Paulette

Years ago I sold a couple of years'  BJs on Ebay, not for much money but better than throwing  them away. The buyer pays postage as usual.

If you do throw them away scan them first, for private study of course.

BJ's?! Who's selling them, what's her location and how can I contact her...?!

Archived