I have notuced a large influx of sunrise/sunset and non-descript beach shots masquerading as 'News'...surely news should be something specific and 'new' that has happened that day? After all, when I was at school, the sun rose every day !!!

Perhaps I need to re-evaluate?

However, it is the case that the UK newspapers use these images extensively. The Times features one or more images like this every day and they have to be very recent because the editorial comment with them invariably refers to the current weather trend and/or prospects.  The Times picture editor also loves steam trains. If you can get a steam train riding into the sunset you are laughing.

Personally, I salute the photographer who gets up before the crack of dawn to get such images, I'm much more of a sunset man myself  :)

Much news is local. I have had weather images removed from Alamy's news feed as not being relevant when in fact it was unusual for the time of the year.

I cant remember which UK comedy programme mentioned that as far as the UK news is concerned (can be applied to many national news system) a major earthquake in Africa gets the same weighting as a train crash with fatalities in Germany as a Brit loosing a flip flop on a beach iin Belgium or a reality Tv star getting new boobs. A bit exaggerated but the gist is there.

Yes, and neither would I get away with weather images from Denmark, unless the Queen's palace was flooded to the roof or Copenhagen had vanished. And, unfortunately, people are so happy about sending their weather pics to the media for free in this country, so it should be quite extraordinary before I would touch the area.

UK sunrise Alamy photo in today's Times.

Sunrise at White Nothe

FHFN35 Graham Hunt

Times Print edition: 26 February 2015

Clearly a very good, saleable image....but couldn't that shot have been taken anyday (subject to conditions)? Why do newspapers not search for stock shots (rather than news)?....

UK sunrise Alamy photo in today's Times.

Sunrise at White Nothe

FHFN35 Graham Hunt

Times Print edition: 26 February 2015

Clearly a very good, saleable image....but couldn't that shot have been taken anyday (subject to conditions)? Why do newspapers not search for stock shots (rather than news)?....

It shows something nice and uplifting that has recently happened, amongst all the doom and gloom and craziness out there that is reported.

Also, the weather/amusing photo acts as a page filler. If during print there is development in a story deemed newsworthy, the newspaper can drop the weather/amusing picture and insert the developing story text for the later print editions.

Happened to me once. I told my girlfriend where my news picture was in the newspaper, she bought a later copy, and unbeknown to me, a little news bit was in its place about a developing murder story. Girlfriend not amused.

Newspapers in Toronto would never use stock photos for news. Every time someone is arrested, all 4 newspaper dispatch their photographers to get a picture of the actual handcuffs used in the arrest.

Amazingly every time someone is arrested in Toronto the police use the exact same pair of handcuffs, all nicely arranged on a white background with room for type.

Lately they have started to photograph the actual shoulder insignia from the uniform of the police officer that made the arrest. If you look carefully the insignia always has the same few threads missing. Therefore it is always the same officer that makes all the arrests.

Recently there was a shot of the actual police tape used in a homicide investigation with the words “POLICE TAPE DO NOT CROSS” filling the image. It was a night shot of the tape used for a dead body that was discovered in the morning. I guess the police left the tape up for a long time.

Real newspapers have real photographers roaming the city that never sleeps. They take pictures of the same pair of handcuffs arranged on a white background with room for type, in order to provide a valuable in depth news experience for readers. With this level of reporting, I cant understand why the Toronto newspapers are in such financial trouble.

Archived