Alamy .... what are they cooking?

Something is moving in Alamy.

For months i see many hints that Alamy somehow is further rising.

• The Microstockgroup.com reports that Alamy is providing more and more sales to contributors despite those contributors have the same photos on micros. Just a little push and Alamy is there on the top tiers between micros. Als people are mentioning on the forum topics that Alamy look promising after getting good sales in short time.
  • Sales are constantly improving on Alamy with others here keeping the „Positieve results“ thread alive with reporting large sales.
  • Alexia ranking is dramatically improving.
  • New contributors are checking-in in our forums coming from dying agencies and micros.

There are some more hints but it could be just one time thing. I wait before i mention them. I know that this are only relative points but for sure something positive is happening. Different hints from different sources.

Did you also noticed something going on?

Mirco

Even though my Alamyrank took a dip two cycles ago I am getting more sales and some semi respectable prices. My own site is selling more as well at good prices.  Proper paying businesses see micro sites as well dodgy and unprofessional so paying a bit more at Alamy is not a problem for them.  The Federation of Small Businesses has been promoting a better approach to copyright and the message that not having a licence for all the IP on ones website exposes ones business to legal action and damage to reputation.   

It is time to remove those images from the micros because even if Alamy is doing better it and we all, could do much better without those images on micros were not cannibalising the market. 

I've noticed an increase in zooms this month as others have reported, but things have been slow sales-wise so far this year. Some decent prices, though.

As Dougie pointed out, migration from the micros is not necessarily a positive thing. Just ask the lemmings. B)

BTW, the lemmings were pushed....ok, they were dumped from a truck  http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20141122-the-truth-about-lemmings

I've noticed an increase in zooms this month as others have reported, but things have been slow sales-wise so far this year. Some decent prices, though.

As Dougie pointed out, migration from the micros is not necessarily a positive thing. Just ask the lemmings. B)

BTW, the lemmings were pushed....ok, they were dumped from a truck  http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20141122-the-truth-about-lemmings

Yes, too bad this lie about the lemmings became sort of true all down to Disney

http://io9.gizmodo.com/lemming-suicide-is-a-myth-that-was-perpetuated-by-disne-1549040246

BTW there is a lot lies we more or less learnt earlier..... I remember that there should be 52 states in the US. I don't know what happened to the two extra ;-)

Yes, too bad this lie about the lemmings became sort of true all down to Disney

http://io9.gizmodo.com/lemming-suicide-is-a-myth-that-was-perpetuated-by-disne-1549040246

BTW there is a lot lies we more or less learnt earlier..... I remember that there should be 52 states in the US. I don't know what happened to the two extra ;-)

Just for the record, I have never doubted the superior intelligence of the lemmings or that they were actually pushed over the cliff.

Re the two missing US states, I believe that Donald Trump sold them to the highest bidder (there's one born every minute).

What ever they are cooking i am not part of the ingredients,  my sales with Alamy are very weak, always have been,  here is hoping that they a cooking a big pie and i will get a nice slice of it one day.

Guten appetit  ;) .

Dont knowabou Alamy yet, I am very fresh here.

Micros, though, got flooded by big "enterprises" with more than 200k images, so the "normal" photographers like me are searching for a better use of their time.

Good move, I'd say. This is a much better place to be, although Alamy isn't immune from floods either. I guess the trick is to find a way to keep your head above water.

Boa sorte!

Seen the odd encouraging sign but not enough to think that a trend is developing Still happy to be proven wrong.

dov

Same here, but I wish I had some of whatever Jeff has been smoking. I had to Google "tetragrammatron" and have to admit that it didn't help much in my present state of consciousness.

Nothing cooking but since dreamstime have died and Shutterstock completely ruined thousands of large contributors portfolios with their latest search-change.( not mine as yet) Well I should imagine lots and lots of contributors are leaving and perhaps putting their files here or there.

Photographers who are or who have uploads to Microstock should not be welcomed to Alamy

Hehe!  they are here by the tons and earning a heck of a lot more lolly then you! :D

So I presume your images are also on Microstock ? If so will you tell us what did you earn NET in the last 12months from micro ?

Photographers who are or who have uploads to Microstock should not be welcomed to Alamy

Hehe!  they are here by the tons and earning a heck of a lot more lolly then you! :D

So I presume your images are also on Microstock ? If so will you tell us what did you earn NET in the last 12months from micro ?

That one will hurt!

wim

That one will hurt!

wim

It will hut very very very much. Its enough that he gives the earnings from only one micro agency.... SS. You dont ask the lion how sharp theets he has,

Yes!!!  it would hurt!  as Wim and Microv says. However I am not here to hurt anybody. Where have you been though? surely you must have noticed that Alamy is encouraging all sorts of stock-photographers to come and join!  old news!

If you are under the old impression, old adage that the RM/RF agencies can supply specific content that microstock-agencies such as SS and Adobe nowadays can't supply, then you are doing an EPIC error of judgement. Besides, have a look at some of the sales prices in all the trad-agencies, some are even below micro standards.

btw,  I have supplied stock to trad agencies since. 1984.

(I have also been selling stock for 40 years! )  Supposing Alamy had a policy of no MIcrostock duplication ... do you think that would remove a lot of content ?

I don't really know?  I think one of the problems here at Alamy is simply, too many images. I mean 70 million files and that alone could be very off-putting for a buyer. I personally know many buyers who rather buy from the smaller Boutique-Agencies rather then searching among gazillion of images.

All Agencies seem to be under the delution of quantity, the more the better, a sort of race competition to the top, well if anything it's beginning to look like a race to the bottom. Its not exactly as if every month gets better and better with more and more images is it.

I think the number of images helps.  The microstock sites that accept more are doing better than the ones that have a smaller collection.  Can't think of any other reason why sites would accept so many new images, it has to help with google and increase traffic.  Perhaps alamy is doing well because they have the microstock images and a lot of people also upload images only to alamy.  Doesn't a big collection of images that aren't on other sites also help with google?

I think the number of images helps.  The microstock sites that accept more are doing better than the ones that have a smaller collection.  Can't think of any other reason why sites would accept so many new images, it has to help with google and increase traffic.  Perhaps alamy is doing well because they have the microstock images and a lot of people also upload images only to alamy.  Doesn't a big collection of images that aren't on other sites also help with google?

I am going with you as far as opinion. In the meantime Alamy went to the 3rd position on the Microstockgroup forum for reported earnings.

Mirco

Archived