Learning photography book

I got into photography around 16 so a bit later but there is an amazing book called understanding exposure. It's brilliant with lots of pics, helps you understand settings in a creative way. I posted the message you have written on talkphotography.co.uk years ago and some kind sole sent it to me for free. Iv since passed it on, anyway it's great.

Jonny

Alex, in my experience 12 year olds don't read books, its old fashioned! I would suggest becoming a member to one of the many photography magazines in circulation where online lessons are available for free. And apps available to peruse on smart phones so the learning is as fast or slow as the pupil desires. Hope this is helpful, regards Davey

Try Michael Freeman's Photo School series.

His Digital Editing is a good introduction to everything that comes after the click of the shutter.

For picture taking I would want to know more about the person. I would concentrate on his/her interests and start from there. Not from the tech side.

wim

You could try this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photography-Basics-Principles-Techniques-Practice/dp/0500289786/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452088347&sr=1-1#customerReviews

Both authors were lecturers at the London College of Communication. It features quite a few pictures taken by students. Some are mine. ;-)

I don't have a better idea, but we might be aiming a bit high for a 12-year-old. I for one don't remember looking at a photography book before college. (Then, of course, it was Michael Langford- who else?)

The online resource idea is a good one but I can't help with that either- after my time.

HOW TO PHOTOGRAPHY EVERYTHING

Simple Techniques For Shooting Spectacular Images

from the editors of Popular Photography

Edit:

Just looked it up on Amazon and it is $27.  It scored a 4.7 average rating out of 5.0. I would rate it a 5. 

http://www.amazon.com/How-Photograph-Everything-Popular-Photography/dp/161628806X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452093261&sr=8-1&keywords=HOW+TO+PHOTOGRAPHY+EVERYTHING

I agree with Wim's suggestion, the Michael Freeman books . . . and here's why: Freeman combines text, photo samples, and illustrations to make his points, meaning he explains what to do, shows samples of the results, and includes a diagram showing where lights or reflectors or whatever might be placed, where a window is, and so on. I have several of his earlier books on my shelves.

Okay, the down side: I've not looked at any of Freeman's newer digital books. He tends to put out lots of books dealing with various aspects of photography. Sounds expensive and not basic enough? It may well be both. You'll have to take a look yourself to see if there is a useful beginners' volume that suits your needs. 

A warning: never buy a color how-to book for a Kindle, unless you'll be viewing it on an iPad or a Kindle Fire. 

The old National Geographic one was mainly analogue, so I would check if it's digital only now.  Not to much US centered?

I would try not to go for an older edition than say 2013 (which means it's been written in 2012: the stone age for a 12yr old).

12yr olds still learn by doing. And they learn most from each other. So a club is best.

However most will still love doing what you do. Take them along. Do a portfolio review. What works? What does not work? What would you love to be able to do? That sort of thing.

Send them out on assignment. First one an hour. Only within the house. Go over the entire shoot. Discuss what they have looked at (for them still the most important) and how. Have they missed anything? Have good examples ready. Do the same assignment yourself (and  be prepared to learn ;-)).

wim

At the age of 12 I joined a photo club at school. It was run by an enthusiastic teacher, but we probably learned more by just getting involved and from each other.

Not sure that I possessed or read any books on the subject at that time, that came much later.

None of us had an exposure meter, and I recall weird and wonderful tables, and rules of thumb,for estimating exposure, and much discussion about camera settings when out and about.

Archived