Holiday Photos, Upload Now or Wait

Quite often the images we take of holidays is are of the moment, on the day. So they really become useless to upload to Alamy as what's the point of uploading Christmas images after Christmas.

Are you better to hang on to the images and wait until October to upload, so you will be in the NEW tab when editors come a-hunting? Same with other holidays. Better to upload those Thanksgiving images a month or two before Thanksgiving next year instead of just after Thanksgiving this year.

Jill

Quite often the images we take of holidays is are of the moment, on the day. So they really become useless to upload to Alamy as what's the point of uploading Christmas images after Christmas.

Are you better to hang on to the images and wait until October to upload, so you will be in the NEW tab when editors come a-hunting? Same with other holidays. Better to upload those Thanksgiving images a month or two before Thanksgiving next year instead of just after Thanksgiving this year.

Jill

I understand your thinking but a couple of months before will often be too late, even for magazines. When she was a designer of window displays for a major store chain in the UK my sister was thinking about Christmas in June/July. A magazine who just agreed to buy an article from me had finalised its Jan & Feb issues at the beginning of December, so would have been planning them a month or more earlier than that—we were discussing May/June for my article.

Personally I get pictures keyworded and up as soon as possible while the subject and my intentions are still fresh in mind. It is less of an effort when you can remember where it was and why you took it! You never know what someone might be planning:  a book on Christmas traditions, a review of Christmas, business presntation on Christmas sales or plans for next year. All could be in the weeks and months after Christmas.

A year ago I uploaded fresh xmas images (some as news) and one of them sold within a week. Gladly I was not waiting for the next season with the upload ;)

He Arletta,

It was on of our famous traditional Polish evening? :)

I'm sorry Mirco but I don't undertand your question. Could you please explain what you mean? Thank you.

Because you mention that you submited Christmas photos. I was just curious if it was of a traditional Polish Christmas eve. I just know that they are very special and very traditional.

Mirco

Isn't xmas a tradition in general? Xmas tree, food, decorations, etc...?

Yes for some main things. But since i am Italian that also lifed in Germany and the Netherlands with participating in four different xmas eves from different countries i can say that there are some differences.

My Italian family for example the 25th is more important then the 24th. Food is also every year different.

The Dutch families i saw are less into presents and are celebrating it in a "smaller" way. Often just between direct family (parents with kids).

The Polish like i experienced have very traditional food (Karp, bigos, pierogi and so on). Also i noticed that all family is coming together while also the 24th is the most important. I hope my experience is correct :).

Mirco

Isn't xmas a tradition in general? Xmas tree, food, decorations, etc...?

Yes for some main things. But since i am Italian that also lifed in Germany and the Netherlands with participating in four different xmas eves from different countries i can say that there are some differences.

My Italian family for example the 25th is more important then the 24th. Food is also every year different.

The Dutch families i saw are less into presents and are celebrating it in a "smaller" way. Often just between direct family (parents with kids).

The Polish like i experienced have very traditional food (Karp, bigos, pierogi and so on). Also i noticed that all family is coming together while also the 24th is the most important. I hope my experience is correct :).

Mirco

Will you be snapping away at La Befana on January 5th, Mirco? (Only 14 images of her on Alamy.)

Personally, I think too much time is spent pretending we have control, or are able to out guess, what agencies and picture buyers are thinking. Martin has things about right. 

What about just steadily uploading and keywording images as your produce them - a few every day? This will give the Alamy rank engine the impression that you are producing steadily, even if you're actually shooting in bursts and could help your ranking on popular subjects.

... and I would think that Christmas is so popular in every corner of the world that images of it from everywhere would be in demand.

My personal opinion is that the only question you should be asking under these circumstances is "Is this the best picture of the subject that I can create?"

What about just steadily uploading and keywording images as your produce them - a few every day? This will give the Alamy rank engine the impression that you are producing steadily, even if you're actually shooting in bursts and could help your ranking on popular subjects.

... and I would think that Christmas is so popular in every corner of the world that images of it from everywhere would be in demand.

My personal opinion is that the only question you should be asking under these circumstances is "Is this the best picture of the subject that I can create?"

Most relevant and correct, Brian.

The stock industry is divided into three sections: the image makers, the images sellers, and the image buyers. A few, like Philippe, are both image makers and sellers. Maybe there are some buyers in here, too, keeping their heads down. When I worked for American Airlines, I was their location photographer and occasionally their stock buyer. 

I think it used to be in SS and some other sites that new pictures got a chance of some exposure before they fell into anonymity and started coming last on searches if they were not downloaded. I am not sure this phenomenon is still in place or whether now it does not matter even there, when you upload. I believe most images are found through keyword searches anyway, so having them ready when someone looks for them might be the best strategy. 

It doesn't seem like that Alamy search engine works that way to me. My pictures are placed by some overall rank that they all share. What this rank consists of and how it's established is one of the great mysteries of stock photography. For me, the best workaround is shooting images that are easily found by keyword and aren't all that oversupplied. Of course, this is more easily said than done.

Jill

I understand your thinking but a couple of months before will often be too late, even for magazines. When she was a designer of window displays for a major store chain in the UK my sister was thinking about Christmas in June/July. A magazine who just agreed to buy an article from me had finalised its Jan & Feb issues at the beginning of December, so would have been planning them a month or more earlier than that—we were discussing May/June for my article.

Personally I get pictures keyworded and up as soon as possible while the subject and my intentions are still fresh in mind. It is less of an effort when you can remember where it was and why you took it! You never know what someone might be planning:  a book on Christmas traditions, a review of Christmas, business presntation on Christmas sales or plans for next year. All could be in the weeks and months after Christmas.

When I did a stint in retail the wholesalers would have the chocolate Easter eggs on their shelves before Christmas. No Christmas stock left.

Christmas stock was in the wholesaler around July time.

I agree that we should always upload all images as we take them you never know when someone will search for your image.

Allan

I went on a three months trip around South America in 2009/10 and I submitted some pictures to Alamy. Some have sold.

Now, 5/6 years later I realised I only had uploaded a tiny edit of my trip and I have spent the last week editing.

Now I have some 400 images that need dust-spotting before I can upload them. 

Oh, I give up. 

Archived