In the pursuit of some extra income, I was looking around my Lower Manhattan apartment with the idea of subletting it through Airbnb. Sadly, I don't see any hope of doing that . . . I'll spare you the details. Yes there's the consideration of location, location, and location, but in the case of this flat, I don't feel that that will be enough. 

But what about renting out a pair of white shoes, so you could pass for a real American and not be confused with all those other UK or European tourists? Perhaps I could add a Yankee baseball cap to the deal. The shoes are 10.5 extra wide Reeboks, gleaming white. I'll even supple the newspaper to stuff in to help with the fit. 

I'm thinking $2.50 an hour, $3.50 if you have sweaty feet. 

reebok-white-mens-walkers-walk-ultra-iv-

Gee, Bill--I don't want to go out and buy more stuff. How do I know this will work? 

And it occurs to me that Alamy may not be happy that I'm doing commercial advertising in their forum. I better close this down and withdrew from this enterprise. Sorry, Alamy.  :(

Edo, back to your original post . . . I was looking through AirBNB recently, NYC specifically, and some show bookings for no more than a single bunk-bed set up in a living room. What they had going for them though was exactly what you have . . . location.

Are you positive your flat isn't suitable?

And as for shoes, comfort always trumps (I've got to find an alternative to that word . . . ) looks imo, so I too wear extra-wide (often white) soft-topped sneakers like yours . . . but mine are worn until they're not fit for anyone else to even consider using :-)

dd

"Are you positive your flat isn't suitable?" -- dustydingo

I've never been surer about anything in my life. 

White is not the ideal color for NYC . . . it won't stay white for long. I took the picture right after the unboxing.

Last year I bought myself a trendy pair of multicolored shoes. Style-wise, these are as hot as extreme tattooing and not owning a tie. Only Reebok and New Balance do the very wide sizes now. Unfortunately the newer NB walkers are not of the quality and comfort that the older models were, and so very uncomfortable. The new Reeboks (male walkers) only come in black or white. I already have a good pair of black NB. 

So you see there's a solid, boring background to my seemingly crazy behavior. (Sort of.)  :huh: 

Another thing: I'm lucky enough to have a rent stabilized apartment. I pay far less than the going rate these days. I would never do anything that might be seen as grounds for eviction. 

I am not sure .... and just for my own information. This topic has nothing to do with Alamy right? Or are you talking with codes? <_< Can we really make money by renting our own shoes? I would need to check my basement again i think i could find some old Dutch klompen.

Mirco

I'm beginning to feel like Dr. Frankenstein . . . I've crated a monster.  :(

Dr Frankinscence where are you sending the monster you have just crated up,

Allan

One miserable little letter I left out! But you, sir, left the period out of Dr. ( Should I put a second one in there? Like Dr..? Hmm.) 

I have a somewhat different point of view regarding germs. Living with germs helps tune up the immune system. I never have a cold or a headache or an upset stomach. Or foot rot. 

When it comes to germs, I always say, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

That said, I've yet to try airbnb. I know people who are big fans, but I have reservations (no pun intended). I've never really enjoyed the forced sociability of regular B&B's, so I'm not sure how much I'd like staying in someone's spare bedroom. There's something to be said for the anonymity of hotels. Too bad they've gotten so expensive in much of the world.

Archived