Two quick technical queries....

I'm not normally techno-challenged, but I can't seem to get various things here to work.

1) I can't get an avatar upload to work. The file i'm trying to use is 900 x 900 and 285kb, so should be fine, no? But when i try to upload it i get the little circular arrow timer for maybe 5 seconds, then nothing happens. Tried saving it in case it appears after, but no. Tried "remove photo" and start again, etc etc...still nothing. Any ideas?!

2) I managed to upload 3 photos into my portfolio which are duplicates. I can't get rid of them. I've gone into the image management tool and removed them from there, and if i return to it they're gone. But on my portfolio page (for example if you click on the number of images link under my forum details) they're still showing?

TIA and sorry if i'm being a muppet :)

Geoff is correct, images are only deleted after 6 months (in case sales in process) and I had the same avatar issue a couple of days ago—there is a thread about the known problem. (see http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/4745-avatar-change-broken/ )

Not sure about the first question, but deleting an image isn't an instant thing - takes quite a while for them to disappear, might be 180 days from memory

Mark, all my keywords are gibberish. 

I've had the problem of trying to change my photo in the icon box. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. ???

There is a point as we are filling out the attributes and keywords, making the images "Ready," where we can just delete them. If I accidentally upload the same image twice I just leave it. 

Regards deleting new uploads, I have found they can be deleted immediately, PROVIDING you have not saved any keywords or image attributes. At this stage, they are not 'ready' or 'on sale', and hitting 'delete' in the panel for adding keywords will remove them immediately. If they have already been edited and saved though, it may be months before they are removed from the database.

Regards deleting new uploads, I have found they can be deleted immediately, PROVIDING you have not saved any keywords or image attributes. At this stage, they are not 'ready' or 'on sale', and hitting 'delete' in the panel for adding keywords will remove them immediately. If they have already been edited and saved though, it may be months before they are removed from the database.

That has been my experience as well. Images can be deleted immediately only when they are in the "not ready" stage.

As has been said above, you can delete any image immediately provided that you do so before it goes on sale.

Further, it has been my experience that, if you ask member services, they will delete a duplicate or near duplicate image within a few days. You need to provide details of both the image to be deleted and its replacement.

I guess that, if you were to make a nuisance of yourself by continually asking for this, they might refuse, but, over the years, I've done this several times when I've taken a shot in better light or significantly improved the post processing.

Probably overkill, but I do the following:

1. Move the image to a separate pseudo with a name that implies deleted.

2. Change the caption and essential keys to gibberish (XXXXXXXX or whatever).

3. If it's a duplicate or a replacement I put something like "Replaced by NNNNNN" (where NNNNNN is the Alamy ref for the replacement) in the Description field (which is not searchable).

4. Mark the image for deletion.

Step 4 has to be the last as otherwise it's not possible to do any of the others.

Alan

As has been said above, you can delete any image immediately provided that you do so before it goes on sale.

Further, it has been my experience that, if you ask member services, they will delete a duplicate or near duplicate image within a few days. You need to provide details of both the image to be deleted and its replacement.

I guess that, if you were to make a nuisance of yourself by continually asking for this, they might refuse, but, over the years, I've done this several times when I've taken a shot in better light or significantly improved the post processing.

They have simply exchanged duplicates for me.

Okay, I guess they are in the Q for deletion then. They'd gone through the entire process and were visible for sale, so it's too late for me to try any of the other suggestions, helpful though they were!

Other than making me look a bit incompetent if someone views my entire portfolio, does it matter enough to be worth bothering member services with?

No luck on the avatar thing. Guess i'll just have to remain anonymous ;)

Archived