How would you react to requests to use this photo (for free) if it was yours?

If you took this photo, how would you react to the requests from news organisations?

I mean, they all  offered the photographer a credit-line . . .

dd

I'd have said I'm happy to help, but I'm a photographer with a lot of expenses to cover, includingn the ticket that brought me to the airport when this happened.  But to be helpful, $100 payable via PayPal for non-exclusive use valid for the next seven days.  You got a lot of expressions of interest there; could probably pay for your trip.

I have allowed free usage on a few occasions, e.g. a charity that I support, an academic putting together a conference paper, a local amateur choir etc, but that photo has strong potential, and I would certainly want payment from commercial news media. Why would you think otherwise?

I also have given to charity I was a wildlife trust they asked for images of 3 consecutive months for there news letter .I eventually asked if I could have a free advert in there newsletter in exchange for the 10 images I have given them. There response was they can get free images from anywhere and I would need to pay for advert. I replied well I suggest you go and get those free images as I am no longer supplying.  They have had the cheek to ask for more

I also have given to charity I was a wildlife trust they asked for images of 3 consecutive months for there news letter .I eventually asked if I could have a free advert in there newsletter in exchange for the 10 images I have given them. There response was they can get free images from anywhere and I would need to pay for advert. I replied well I suggest you go and get those free images as I am no longer supplying.  They have had the cheek to ask for more

WHat cheek. Report them to the Charities Commission.

There's nothing on that TWitter account except panhandling TV stations!

There are pictures of this all over the British media - it's a BA plane and it's hot news. The pictures I've seen mostly appear to be taken on smart phones by people who just happened to witness the scene - citizen journalism is the order of the day for an event like this nowadays. Picture editors are not going to care about image quality and they are unlikely to be paying for what they can get for nothing as long as the images can adequately illustrate the event - which the pictures I've seen appear to do. Just another demonstration of the way things have changed for photographers in recent years.

An amazing thing here is that Jacob Steinberg, a football  writter for the Guardian, was on board the plane and is credited with some of the syndicated pictures. Presumably his pictures were taken on his phone (he is a writer, not a photographer).

An amazing thing here is that Jacob Steinberg, a football  writter for the Guardian, was on board the plane and is credited with some of the syndicated pictures. Presumably his pictures were taken on his phone (he is a writer, not a photographer).

I do hope he's not giving them away.

I have allowed free usage on a few occasions, e.g. a charity that I support, an academic putting together a conference paper, a local amateur choir etc, but that photo has strong potential, and I would certainly want payment from commercial news media. Why would you think otherwise?

I assume that's a rhetorical question.

it appears every one of the news agencies, tv stations etc thought otherwise.

dd

I'd have said I'm happy to help, but I'm a photographer with a lot of expenses to cover, includingn the ticket that brought me to the airport when this happened.  But to be helpful, $100 payable via PayPal for non-exclusive use valid for the next seven days.  You got a lot of expressions of interest there; could probably pay for your trip.

Yep, I'd ask something along those lines too . . . not sure if I'd stoop down to $100 though, which is why I posed the question in the first place :-)

dd

There are a lot of interesting points here. When I was first a pro shooter, and without a lot of business savvy, I learned that any request for free or cheap pictures was soon followed by more requests for the same.

Dusty phrased this as 'what would we do?' not 'what should the photographer do?' Obviously, this fellow is not savvy or a pro and blew it immediately by posting the image on Twitter. And without a watermark or a disclaimer (not that either would have helped much). I don't do social media. 

If you took this photo, how would you react to the requests from news organisations?

I mean, they all offered the photographer a credit-line . . .

dd

When any organization that I don't have *special, personal relationship with (ex. *adopted a pet from them) requests free use of a photo I captured, I send a quote. The specific photo is irrelevant.

BTW, a while ago an Alamy forum member mentioned that when he gets a request for free use of photo, he politely sends a quote. I kept this in mind when I recently received request from university publication to use a photo, with credit line, and they asked for fee waived because it was an academic publication. Instead of ignoring them, I sent a reasonable quote, which they agreed to.

- Ann

I mean, they all offered the photographer a credit-line . . .

dd

Instead of ignoring them, I sent a reasonable quote, which they agreed to.

- Ann

I like that. Don't get mad, get professional.

Yep, I'd ask something along those lines too . . . not sure if I'd stoop down to $100 though, which is why I posed the question in the first place :-)

dd

Dusty:  MDM summed up the reason I chose $100: there will quickly be other alternatives available to the media, and they may be free.  But if you're quick, and if you're first, the media's eagerness to be first with the story photo may result in your getting several hundreds--not a large sum to them--rather than spending their time searching for those other freebies.  Of course if you had reason to believe that no one else had a similar picture then you might hold out for more.

There are a lot of interesting points here. When I was first a pro shooter, and without a lot of business savvy, I learned that any request for free or cheap pictures was soon followed by more requests for the same.

Dusty phrased this as 'what would we do?' not 'what should the photographer do?' Obviously, this fellow is not savvy or a pro and blew it immediately by posting the image on Twitter. And without a watermark or a disclaimer (not that either would have helped much). I don't do social media. 

Not for the first time, I'm with you Ed--I don't "do" most of that most unsociable of media, social media, either :ph34r: 

dd

Archived