Greetings. I have had an email from a local holiday lettings company asking for a price for using my images in the calendar they produce each year for their customers and owners. They have over 200 properties and a posh looking website. They mention a print run of 250. I'm not sure what price to give them and I wondered if anyone could suggest what they might consider a reasonable price. Obviously I don't want to lose the business but I don't want to give my work away. Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

If a small business has never licensed images before it may have no idea. For the calendar only, no other use, all 12 months plus cover, I wouldn't be expecting much more that £25-50/ image, I don't think. More if you're not doing the whole calendar.

Thanks for the replies. I did ask what their budget was via email but I have not heard back. I was thinking just that price range, and that seems fair.

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. I did ask what their budget was via email but I have not heard back. I was thinking just that price range, and that seems fair.

Cheers!

Reason for not hearing back?

Even though they asked for a price perhaps they were hoping you would say they could have them. ;)

Allan

Cheers!

Reason for not hearing back?

Even though they asked for a price perhaps they were hoping you would say they could have them. ;)

Allan

That's a real possibility, unfortunately. I imagine there isn't much to be made from publishing calendars these days. Don't most people now hang their iPads on the wall instead?

i use a generic one, no frills for date only, but do use my phones app which cycles through images as a wall one would - without the manual flipping ha ha.

with regards to above someone saying - make sure you get a few copies of the calendar... is this the done-thing these days?

i was told by a good old photographer friend, who since retired that he insisited on a "voucher copy" of anything his images were used in.

and indeed asked me recently if i wanted any of his many books that these appeared in - as he is running short of space and thinning out.

so when i started this stock biz in the past couple of years, i too thought that may be a nice way to keep track of what images are where, and also a lil bonus, having a freebie!

and i have encountered nothing but resistance to the idea! is this simply an outdated practice now??

although i have added an "extra" % charge for sales, for the waiving of this freebie! successfully :)

People still buy calendars.

...someone even bought me one for Christmas - very nice it is too! :)

Were the calendar images credited to a microstock agency?

The calendar that was bought for me?  Not credited at all!

Calendars I've sold to recently: RM for B2B, decent price (not here).

Here? Sold RM photos of calendars.

I've had five calendar sales over the years ranging from $9.60 to $161. Latest one was for $100 earlier this year, so it looks as if they are still happening. Personally, I prefer dead-tree calendars to the electronic ones and always buy two or three.

Just 8 for me in all this time. I would have guessed there had been more.  One for 50; one for 90 the rest 100. Remember these are huge bulk deals.

That's pretty consistent with what I've billed clients myself: 50 (=600 for a whole) to 250 for a page. But those are Euros and the Alamy ones are $$ and gross.

wim

I get 3 complimentary copies of each calendar where one of my images is used. That is from one company that I directly supply to.

John. 

A well-known photographic materials manufacturer, (real paper), asked to use two of my b&w images for their calendar some years ago. We agreed free paper for a fixed period of time. They underestimated how much I eat of the stuff so I ended up with a very, very good deal. Far more in value to me the end, than I would have obtained by a straight monetary license. 

Archived