Photographing in Airplanes and Airports

Not sure how strict the European airlines are getting but this article, from the Washington Post, suggests that the U.S. airlines are getting tougher.  Hope the link works.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/airlines-arent-clear-about-their-photography-policies/2015/05/07/8f6c6416-f01c-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html

Interesting...I've been told a couple of times that I'm not allowed to take photos; once as I was leaving a plane(steps) and turned back to shoot the nose, and, once on board a crew member said I could only take photos of my traveling companion.

Before and since I've taken lots, but now always use my little Fuji and am careful not to point it obviously at cabin crew!

Phil

I was told by airside staff on the tarmac at a French airport that i couldn't but the scope of the prohibition was unclear. I already had what I wanted anyway. It's an Alamynopoly of a sort but hasn't sold yet.

Once, some years ago, in Paris CDG T2 one AF gate staff told me, after I was shooting several pictures, that I could not do it. I stopped at that time but I have continued taking pictures in CDG, and other airports, as normal. Other time it was in London LHR T5. I do not know if it was because I was near of security control or because according to website of LHR T5 you need permission due copyright of the terminal, but a BA lady politely told me to take care.

I doubt that there is a clear general rule about this. If that at the end is in force our colleague Alex Serge will have a problem :)

It may not be ethical but I think photographing till told to stop and using a little common sense will see you OK in most places. 

Probably not entirely ethical (as can be the case in many candids) and probably safer to do in some countries as opposed to others….

passengers-sleeping-on-a-sriwijaya-air-a

The last time I took any pictures in a airport was at Newark while waiting for one of the first flights out after 9/11.  Did it in a fairly obvious way with an M/F camera.  Didn't even get a funny look.  Or maybe I can't read American faces.

The only money I earned from that little shoot was a fee of $6.10 for a rather cliched shot taken through the plane window.  Probably quite a good fee really.

In my view, the best way of earning money from shooting in private spaces is to first get permission. You might even occasionally get a property release.  One reason Mony Rakusen earns a lot of money is because that's what he does - full-time.

The alternative is journalism - the story you want to tell is not one that will gain you a hard hat and a nice laminated pouche with a blurry image of your mug in it.  By doing a bit of problem solving you can get pictures that are relevant but quite rare. 

Mmmmm... I have taken a lot of images at airports and on planes around the world in the last few years, always with a Canon DSLR 5D or 5D Mk2 (so not a small camera!!) .

I have hardly ever had a problem of any kind (in about 60-70 separate instances), but the few instances I have been questioned are as follows:

Once at T5 Heathrow when a friendly airport employee simply asked me to ensure I did not take photos near or at the security entrance

Once at Stansted when a security officer asked me why I was taking photos - I was with my daughter at the time and was documenting her tip to Scotland (no problem with the security officer once explained)

I have never been questioned on a plane when taking photos of the cabin crew at work

Funnily enough I am always asked to stop taking photos in the Departures Duty Free stores both in the UK and abroad ( most recently yesterday in Madeira!)

Clearly from the above article things maybe changing...

My advice to others is

1. Always stop taking photos if you are asked to do so by any airport or airline employee - its simply not worth trying to argue/persuade them of your rights

2. Always smile and be polite

3. Never take photos at/of security areas

4. Never take photos of security officers or other uniformed officers without asking their permission first (and likely being turned down!)

Kumar

When in the Airport just dress and act like the happy tourist out taking pictures.  I have never had a problem, and have had several sell also.  Don't carry your D4 and a big lens, I just used my little D3200 and kit lens.  I now have a Sony a6000 that might be a small discreet camera to use. :)

I shot some video in Montreal Trudeau Airport a few years back, the content of which, caused a recall of the Canadian Parliament!

Veiled women boarding a plane?  You can't leave it as vague as you did!

When I was on one of the American carriers a couple months ago, I noticed something written in the airline magazine about photography.  It said photographs of flight crew and other passengers was prohibited (unless they were with your party).

Martyn, I think you've captured the joy of jet travel.   :)

Thanks Ed…..the in flight entertainment wasn't the best I have ever known ! Just a shame that some faceless person didn't see the merits of a bit of candid picture taking and red arrowed me for my troubles !!

Archived