New York and New England Weather News

Loads of snow photos in the Mail today from New York and New England, but no Alamy shots. 

Anybody shooting for the news feed there should be in with a good chance.

Long way for me to go, but the snow might eventually reach these parts. :rolleyes:

Bryan, I just got back from a shoot in Manhattan and although I was born in New York City and spent much of my life there, I can't get over how little people are concerned about the incoming storm. Here in the deep suburbs, people are stocking up on flashlights and bottled water, but in Manhattan, they were two or three deep at an outdoor farmer's market, choosing their apples one at a time.

I am not in the news feed, but am getting ready to upload a batch in the next few minutes. Around here, what I'm seeing are stock images from previous storms - some going back a long way. It's always good to be ready.

I just hope we don't get a power outage. I've had three since I've been in this flat. All in summer, though. I may venture out tomorrow, maybe two blocks from my front door. The RX10 is weather proof, they tell me. 

This is my street right now LIVE:  http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/littleitaly/?cam=littleitaly

Bryan, I just got back from a shoot in Manhattan and although I was born in New York City and spent much of my life there, I can't get over how little people are concerned about the incoming storm. Here in the deep suburbs, people are stocking up on flashlights and bottled water, but in Manhattan, they were two or three deep at an outdoor farmer's market, choosing their apples one at a time.

I am not in the news feed, but am getting ready to upload a batch in the next few minutes. Around here, what I'm seeing are stock images from previous storms - some going back a long way. It's always good to be ready.

We don't drive. Most of us have supermarkets, delis or bodegas within a few blocks and, quite frankly, many Manhattanites have no room to store a lot of food. Those who do probably ordered their groceries from Fresh Direct and had it delivered hours before the snow began to fall.

It's not quite 6am, about 17 hours since the snow began to fall, and I still only see a few inches of accumulation outside my window in Lower Manhattan. What's there to worry about?  ;) This could easily become the Great Storm of the Century That Never Happened.

We can always count on the Korean delis come what may. They were doing business by candlelight after superstorm Sandy. I also still keep a supply of "terrorism food" since I, too, live in lower Manhattan.

Paulette

Love NYC in the snow although I know it can be tough for those who live there. Got a load a few years ago when I was there on one of my annual visits. I just shuffled down to Hudson Street and the White Horse Tavern, sat by a warm radiator under the pictures of Dylan Thomas, ("I have just drunk eighteen double whiskies, I think that's a record") and the 'Under Milk Wood' posters, with a pint (or several), the papers, and bite to eat. It was also March 1st. so a fitting way to spend a few hours.

Just for a bit of balance and contrast (and to underline the forum's borderless nature), it was 40C here today (104 F), but even though tomorrow is forecast to be similar, thunderstorms may end our 60+ consecutive days without rain. Needless to say, snow ain't ever an issue here . . .

Not that 40 is that bad . . . a couple of weeks ago here it was 44.4 C (111.92 F) . . . but back OT, here's hoping all my friends in NY and Massachusetts stay safe and warm.

dd

Having captured variety of snowy Long Island, New York, photos over the years, I decided on different approach last night.

Uploaded untouched from my iPhone to StockimoNews:

N001J - Blizzard Juno 2015 - backyard through window

I also took some other-worldy macros of icy window with Nikon 105mm micro, though they're just on my computer for now.

Lots of folk out there taking pictures. Isn't technology wonderful that I can look down your street from the other side of the world.

Nothing short of amazing, eh, Sul? And look at my three favorite ladies in my area -- nothing slows them down.  :)

Mine have gone through QC and are keyworded, but haven't been added to the collection yet. Let's see if a miracle happens.

Best of luck with those shots Brian, and hopefully they will sell in the future, but I get the impression that speed (same day, preferably early on) is of the essence for news stories, so using the news feed is essential. Having said that, I rarely have the opportunity to use the feed, and the few times that I have did not produce the goods!  (One subsequent sale).

A few snowflakes here today, but nothing settling on the ground, camera ready should the blizzards arrive  ^_^

Archived