How well is Stockimo doing?

Stockimo will be a year old next month. Nearly 119K images online as of this morning, and sporadic sales being reported on the forum (thanks for your efforts Lisa). Also seeing occasional tweets when someone scores a magical 4.0 and/or is included within the weekly 'Grid of Greatness'.

Personally, I only started 'iphoneography' in November and have been enjoying doing something quite radically different from traditional stock. However, it would be nice to get a warmer feeling as to how Stockimo is performing as a relatively new venture. Clearly only Alamy can provide a definitive answer but, in the meantime, it would be interesting to hear other Stockimo contributors' views on its viability as a potential source of income. More specifically, is anyone getting regular sales or is it still too early to make a worthwhile assessment?

Regards

John

Hi Number 6

I started contributing about 8m ago and have nearly 300 stockimo images up for sale 

On the plus side I am enjoying producing them as it is very different to the "normal" alamy images I put up for sale

On the downside, no sales yet - of course I wouldnt expect any sales on alamy generally if I only had 300 images but not sure if the same "rules" apply bearing in mind the hugely smaller number of Stockimo images available overall

Kumar

I find stockimo quite a change from the norm. I do have to question how some of the long exposure images of brake light trails get on there, because as yet I can't find a way of manually controlling the settings for that, however, overall for an early platform it's been well presented and easy to use. Refreshing I'd say. I have 70 images but still fine tuning. 

I find stockimo quite a change from the norm. I do have to question how some of the long exposure images of brake light trails get on there, because as yet I can't find a way of manually controlling the settings for that, however, overall for an early platform it's been well presented and easy to use. Refreshing I'd say. I have 70 images but still fine tuning.

There's an app called 'Slow Shutter.' IT offers timed low light releases of up to 30 seconds, plus bulb. It also has an intervalometer. I've not used it (I don't have a tripod attachment yet). But it might answer your question.

Many thanks for the replies so far. Nice to seeing that other people are enjoying the new challenge despite waiting for their first sale. Conversely it's also nice to see that Martin and his wife each had a sale with only a few images - well done and what's your secret?:)

Suspect that there are a lot of Stockimo contributors who do not frequent this forum so, with hindsight, it was probably ambitious to try and gain a wide range of opinions. Perhaps there's scope for a Stockimo discussion area?

Cheers

John

Started contributing at the beginning - 11 months ago - but so far I only have 67 images online. In fact, I've actually deleted a couple I didn't like so much.

So far, no sales, though I did spot a few of mine in the Customer Likes section.

I've only got 19 images but I do like playing around with iphone images, initially I couldn't undestand how it worked as my photos were constantly rejected as I was thinking it was like Alamy, but since asking a question on the forum, I discovered that by using an app such as Snapseed I can get passed the 2 barrier.

I'm still slightly confused as some images are truly dreadful, or some appear to be totally amazing and therefore look like a SLR has been used. Alamy did say they were going to do a purge of images that werent used with Smartphones via e-mail a while back.

No sales of course, are fees the same?

Have had 3 sales so far and they were images uploaded quite early on. Sales $$$ have varied from coffee money to about $100 net. With stockimo, the net amount is reported, not the gross fee. I'm hoping that, given i've uploaded a lot more images in the last couple of months, sales may also increase. I cant recall if Stockimo sales aren't reported until money is received from client, because it seems to be paid out to photographers very quickly after that. I thought i read that somewhere but can't find it now. If that is the case, then it might be hard to judge how Stockimo sales are travelling for some time yet.

I am wondering if they are tightening up what gets through now that there is a reasonable size collection. I thought i was getting the hang of it, but last few weeks have had an upsurge of rejections for images similar in style to those previously accepted. Or there are new grumpy reviewers perhaps?! Then again, one i held back for ages because i thought it was pretty ordinary is the only "4" received so far! All very subjective i guess

• 2 weeks later...

I' ve got 37 images and sold one. I found the sold one used on a website.

What worries me is the fact that as long as the image is not paid for it will not show in your activities on the app. Nor does it show you actually made a sale.

So you never will find out if one of your images is not paid for, unless you find the usage of it yourself. Or do I miss something?

By the way, it is great doing Stockimo, it does tickle your creativity.

Perry

So you never will find out if one of your images is not paid for, unless you find the usage of it yourself.

Sales show in your Stockimo account as soon as we have received payment, you do not have to find the usage yourself.

This is different from a sale on your Alamy account, where you see the sale as soon as it is billed rather than paid.

Cheers

Alamy

Archived