Which Cellphone Camera Do You Feels is Best?

I had excellent images with the LG 13 mp phone. My new iPhone 6 takes great images, too, but it is only 8 mp. Since getting my iPhone, I will be selling my 1 year 3 month old LG on Craigslist soon. Only went to iphone because of Stockimo ease and marriage of my devices. But I did download my LG images to my Mac, work on them, transfer to ipad and upload to Stockimo. Just more convoluted.

I'm out of contract with my old iPhone 4 and from what I've seen image wise,iPhone 6 is really nice. The iPhone 6 Plus is nicer BUT it's larger. That camera has image stabilization and the plain iPhone 6 does not.

Being out of contract I'm only paying $65 a month right now and I bought my phone outright when I signed on.

I'm still looking at plans. I've had AT&T for many years and 4 phones but really don't like their service. I plan to change,just not sure to what service.

iPhone 6 has some excellent free or cheap photo processing APPS thru the iTunes store. If you have a Mac or an iPad it's an easy decision to stay with Apple.

Happy New Year!

L

I have an old iPhone, model 1 or 2. With or without regard to Stockimo, which cellphone do you owners think is best?

And here's a little gallery of cell snaps on our local National Public Radio site, WNYC: http://www.wnyc.org/story/best-best-your-2014-cell-phone-pictures/

Edo

It depends on what you want to do with a phone. After all, there is a little more to life than taking photos, like post processing ;) My old Blackberry was great for texting but the camera was horrible. Upgrading the OS with my Mac was impossible and downloading system upgrades directly was expensive.

iPhones are great for Mac users. They interface almost seamlessly with Macs and probably have the most apps. On the other hand, if all you care about is making phone calls you could probably get by with an old Flip Phone.

EDO - I particularly enjoyed seeing the Met Rooftop ivy cell photo.

Besides points already mentioned, if you get an iPhone and someone important to you also has one, you can have FaceTime calls. Though my toddler grandson lives within walking (toddling?) distance, I still greatly appreciate being able to see him during phone calls.

LINDA - you mention image stabilization in iPhone 6 Plus. Is it a noticeable help?

I have an old iPhone, model 1 or 2. With or without regard to Stockimo, which cellphone do you owners think is best?

And here's a little gallery of cell snaps on our local National Public Radio site, WNYC: http://www.wnyc.org/story/best-best-your-2014-cell-phone-pictures/

Edo

Just a note. My son was here from Knoxville for a few days and he said for people who have had a plan, for instance, Verizon...AT&T, and your 2 year service has expired, you can get service from Walmart. Unlimited text and calling, yet you get to use the towers of your previous plan. Around $45 a month. I don't remember if he mentioned data.

I have no personal knowledge of this, so I disavow any false information. Or whether this is a Tennessee thing or national. Worth checking out. I just looked, and it is a monthly card called Straight Talk. $45., for sure. Looks like unlimited data, too. No contract, of course. Look it up.

By the way, I got rid of my iPhone 4s and went to the LG because the iPhone images were so lousy in comparison. But the 6 makes me happy.

Edo

It depends on what you want to do with a phone. After all, there is a little more to life than taking photos, like post processing ;) My old Blackberry was great for texting but the camera was horrible. Upgrading the OS with my Mac was impossible and downloading system upgrades directly was expensive.

iPhones are great for Mac users. They interface almost seamlessly with Macs and probably have the most apps. On the other hand, if all you care about is making phone calls you could probably get by with an old Flip Phone.

I can still flip an omelet artfully, but I'm afraid to even try typing a short message with my thumbs. I know texting has taken over and made email old fashion . . . but I like the pauses, the slower tempo. I have a landline (that is out of order), my old iPhone and a cheap second cell. I'd tell the negative details but it would be like explaining the plot of a very bad conspiracy film.

Ann, you're lucky to have a toddler to see, live and on screen.

That sounds fair enough, Betty, but can I get a $2.25 a month Senior Package? To call Rome, I use a Big World dial-around card that costs me $5 for 300 minutes. 

Edo

Just a note. My son was here from Knoxville for a few days and he said for people who have had a plan, for instance, Verizon...AT&T, and your 2 year service has expired, you can get service from Walmart. Unlimited text and calling, yet you get to use the towers of your previous plan. Around $45 a month. I don't remember if he mentioned data.

I have no personal knowledge of this, so I disavow any false information. Or whether this is a Tennessee thing or national. Worth checking out. I just looked, and it is a monthly card called Straight Talk. $45., for sure. Looks like unlimited data, too. No contract, of course. Look it up.

By the way, I got rid of my iPhone 4s and went to the LG because the iPhone images were so lousy in comparison. But the 6 makes me happy.

I don't know if it's local  for Illinois or national but if you use any sort of phone card you have to pay special E911 tax on phonecards for every time you purchase one. It's the tax for '911' emergency service.

EDO - I particularly enjoyed seeing the Met Rooftop ivy cell photo.

Besides points already mentioned, if you get an iPhone and someone important to you also has one, you can have FaceTime calls. Though my toddler grandson lives within walking (toddling?) distance, I still greatly appreciate being able to see him during phone calls.

LINDA - you mention image stabilization in iPhone 6 Plus. Is it a noticeable help?

Edo

Ann,I don't know. I still have my old iPhone 4. I was going to buy the 6 by Dec 31st but it's going to be too cold to venture out. I may wait a few months to make sure I will still be staying in my city. But here is info on the difference:

http://www.imore.com/iphone-6-vs-iphone-6-plus-camera-comparison-6-plus-actually-better

L

Virgin Mobile has "Custom" plans available only at Walmart. You choose your amount of minutes, text and data. It's not clear from the website whether it is available for iPhones.

Paulette

I have a Blackberry Z10 which I love as it has both BB10 os as well as Android. The camera is great, but of course can't be used for Stockimo.

Why use Facetime? If you use Skype or BBM, it doesn't matter what type of phone your recipient has as they both work on all platforms. (Except the old BB's)

I don't use a plan per se with my phone. I use Koodoo on a pay-as-you-go as their minutes don't expire, neither does their data. 95% of my calls are long distance as I live way out in the country, so plans with unlimited local calling don't do anything for me.

I bought 2,000 minutes last December for $50 and over a year later still haven't used them up. I simply pay a base of $15 per month for unlimited texting and buy my minutes and data separately.

I call almost all friends and relatives on Skype or BBM, so only use phone minutes for business. Even then I often use Skype calling.

Jill 

I still have my landline as I am a corporation and also get my DSL thru the landline hookup. I have the unlimited calling plan on my phone because some companies I have to call I can be on hold 45 minutes or more and it's just easier to put it on speakerphone.

If I used my iphone I could  have a hard time hearing them or just a bad connection and would have to start all over again.

I don't use as much phone minutes as I do data and texting.I am not going to use Skype or similar services for clients.

Virgin Mobile and Sprint  are not very good in my city or places I travel to. I've asked! :-)

L

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out of contract with my old iPhone 4 and from what I've seen image wise,iPhone 6 is really nice. The iPhone 6 Plus is nicer BUT it's larger. That camera has image stabilization and the plain iPhone 6 does not.

Being out of contract I'm only paying $65 a month right now and I bought my phone outright when I signed on.

I'm still looking at plans. I've had AT&T for many years and 4 phones but really don't like their service. I plan to change,just not sure to what service.

iPhone 6 has some excellent free or cheap photo processing APPS thru the iTunes store. If you have a Mac or an iPad it's an easy decision to stay with Apple.

Happy New Year!

L

The iPhone 6 has electronic image stabilization and the 6 plus adds optical stabilization.  The 6 plus is really big though, I can still operate the 6 with one hand but I was worried that the 6 plus wouldn't fit well in a pocket and be a two handed affair.

Virgin Mobile has "Custom" plans available only at Walmart. You choose your amount of minutes, text and data. It's not clear from the website whether it is available for iPhones.

Paulette

I recently switched from Virgin to AT&T because I couldn't get service at my new address.  Virgin mobile has no roaming so there are large parts of the country where you will have no service.  The price is good if you don't travel much and it was fine for me for three years.  Their network is Sprints and its not very good, mostly 3G speeds.  You would also want to check if you have service where you live.  AT&T has their new Next plan.  I am paying $50 a month for service on an iPhone 6, thats $10 more than Virgin but well worth it.

Paulette

I recently switched from Virgin to AT&T because I couldn't get service at my new address.  Virgin mobile has no roaming so there are large parts of the country where you will have no service.  The price is good if you don't travel much and it was fine for me for three years.  Their network is Sprints and its not very good, mostly 3G speeds.  You would also want to check if you have service where you live.  AT&T has their new Next plan.  I am paying $50 a month for service on an iPhone 6, thats $10 more than Virgin but well worth it.

Thanks for that information. I'm still pondering. I have a wee stupid phone that only costs me $25 every three months. I quite literally almost never use it but it is ATT so I can use it when traveling in the USA. Mostly I'm thinking of the iPhone 6 Plus for the camera and to use to replace my address book, calendar and notebook that I usually carry. Of course, I am going to be unhappy if I find the phone not working when I want it. Much thinking to do.

Paulette

When I went to St. Croix with my sister, I checked with AT&T to see if I would have roaming charges. Luckily not. Right before we left, my sis bought her first smart phone and signed with T-Mobile.

She asked them if there would be roaming charges and they said no.

Once we got to the island, we found out why she had no roaming charges. Because she had NO service, period. The island only had AT&T and Verizon. Lol, my sis was in a snit for two days. If it had been me, I would have charged into the T-Mobile office she bought the $600 phone from when she got stateside and had someone's head on a platter. Inexcusable that they didn't tell her (did they even know?) when she asked about roaming on St. Croix. Of course, if they told her T-Mobile had no service there, she would have walked out and not bought the phone. Maybe they were only interested in making the sale.

Looking at Consumer Cellular now -- it's connected with AARP and meant for non-users of cell phones like me. They are out of stock on the iPhone I want so more time to think about it. They have a zero minutes plan for $10 and 25 cents a minute if you do use it to call. I would get their minimum data plan but I want to find out what they would charge if I went over. I'd have to buy the phone outright, of course, but they have a 0% interest payment plan. Anyone used them? They have the AT&T network.

Paulette

NYCat check out Best Buy for their Verizon prepaid phones.  The phones are very reasonable and you are prepaying for the service so you only pay for what you use.  I bought a Samsung flip phone so that I would have a phone that worked on vacation.  $19.99 and I think they give you a $15 credit to get started.  They Use Verizons older 3G network but work fine and the coverage is great.  Here is a link  I think with this plan the phone just stops working when you run out of minutes.  Both AT&T and Verizon have bring your own phone plans too.  I don't know if you all know that you can get an iPhone and set it up to work on your WIFI network and never actually activate it for cell phone use and still use it for Stockimo, email. web browsing, Facetime calls and most any thing else except regular phone calls.

Thanks for more tips. I have definitely decided on the iPhone 6 Plus for what I want to use it for. I must say I go months without using the cellphone I have now. It is pay as you go and I have my friends trained to not call me on my cell. I do need phone service though for when I travel in the US and for emergencies. Otherwise, the phone part is not important to me.

Paulette

Many people are giving up their land lines and going exclusively cellular. My daughter and son, and a couple of nephews have done so. I'm considering it.

We could drop out of the phone book, and quit getting the political and other solicitations calls. That would be a blessing. Especially during election years. Right now, about 95% of calls on the land line are calls I screen with caller ID and don't answer. Even so, I get tired of the phone ringing 4-10 times a day and not one being a desired call.

When I was working in the USA I used a Walmart sim card deal, inserted in my unlocked UK phone, and was able to phone my wife from all over the lower 48, but best of all I could skype her with video whilst running down the highway (hands free) even in some of the most out of the way places. Unlimited data and a low price for calls (even international), it was excellent.

Betty's sister's experience in St Croix was unacceptable, but I will put in a good word for T-Mobile otherwise.  I have unlimited calls, text, and 4G data throughout the US, plus unlimited 3G data in 20 other countries.  This is particularly useful for me because of the amount I travel to Canada (where roaming charges are the highest I have seen anywhere). I avoid making phone calls when in Canada, but my primary email account is deliberately hobbled outside the US, so it is useful to have the email facility on the phone.  Somehow they don't restrict usage from the phone, only from "foreign" ISP's.  When I am in UK I have an elderly flip-phone and a local Virgin Mobile pay as you go sim card for phone calls, and I get the data plan plus phone coverage in Virgin dead spots on my T-Mobile USA phone.

It's a complicated world we live in.  There was a time when I thought I had no need for data on my phone, now I don't know what I would do without it.

Louise

Even so, I get tired of the phone ringing 4-10 times a day and not one being a desired call.

Betty I use cellular exclusively myself but still get some calls which are not welcome in the UK. In particular from my provider trying to give me a new phone for free (ha ha). I do not believe that.

Allan

I use Koodoo here in Canada on a great pay as you go plan. $15 for unlimited texting (which I do with my sons all the time) and minutes don't expire. So if I buy 500 minutes for $25 I have them till I use them up, even if it takes a few months. I also have Skype's phone service to use on wifi. Works quite well except for people who have caller ID, as the phone number displayed would be unknown so a lot of people don't answer a Skype call.

I don't use a lot of data. Usually when I am away and need to access the web or my home cloud service. Or using the GPS features to download maps the odd time. Again, the data doesn't run out until I actually use it all. Some months I hardly use my phone at all, others quite extensively.

I would love to ditch our land line, but we use it for business and because of where we are, we can't carry the phone number over to cell. Thinking of slowly weaning customers over to the cell number and eventually ditching the land line.

Jill

Archived