Nikon 24-70 woes.

I'm having problems deciding whether my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G is slightly de-centered or not, having sent it back to Nikon twice for repair with varying results. 1st. time, sent it back from brand new with quite noticeable de-centering softness on RHS. 2nd. time back very soft both sides. Now it seems slightly soft LHS (best it's been). All test pictures shot of buildings at distance but not infinity, 24mm f 2.8-f 8 with best results at f 8. Trying to decide whether to send it back for a third time, or am I expecting too much.

Have you taken identical photos, with identical camera settings, with each iteration of the lens? That really is the test.

It's hard otherwise to compare . . . and no, I think you should expect the very best a product can offer, the trick sometimes is in identifying when you have reached that point :-)

dd

That lens should be tack sharp all over, even wide open. If it's still under warranty let nikon try fix it again, if the waranty has expired then maybe you could try emailing Alan Marlow, he has 28 years of experience and has carried out almost 12,000 repairs.

I guess he will have a better understanding of what may be wrong with your lens and how to fix it. His repair pricing is also very reasonable.

Here's a link to his site: http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/

Parm

That sounds most distressing with a high-end zoom like that, Dark. 

I wonder if I could jump in here with a quick question about another 24-70, the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM? I'm trying to find out if this lens is FF or DX?  

Thanks, Edo

That sounds most distressing with a high-end zoom like that, Dark. 

I wonder if I could jump in here with a quick question about another 24-70, the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM? I'm trying to find out if this lens is FF or DX?  

Thanks, Edo

Sigma DG lenses are for Full Frame but can be used on crop sensors, and Sigma DC lenses are only for Crop Sensors (DX).

Parm

I owned that lens, after "upgrading" from the 28-70mm f2.8 Nikkor.  My 28-70 was a better lens.  My copy of the 24-70 was a little soft but acceptable.  In a perfect world all "pro" lenses would be tack sharp at all apertures.  But, both Canon and Nikon admit they will not be, by allowing the owner to correct micro focusing issues.  To me that says they expect issues.  Not issues to the extent you first described though.

BTW, I have seen other pros make the same comments about the 24-70 Nikkor.  If this is any solace, and I doubt it is, you are not alone.  Good luck.

On my crop frame D90 I was extremely disappointed with the 24 - 70 Nikkor. The reason for this was I had come to rely on stabilisation which this lens doesn't have so I had to retrain to use higher shutter speeds, larger apertures or higher ISO. Being my first non-stabilised (VR) lens this took some time getting used to. After moving to a full frame D610 I could finally see how sharp this lens can be but my opinion now still is that it's very a unforgiving lens. Exposure (especially speed) and focus needs to be spot on. Results are more consistent these days thankfully. I suspect many miss VR on this lens like I still do from time to time.

Archived