Using Pseudos for the ranking game

I've read topics about moving images about to different pseudos, to get better ranking in searches.

Do any of you move the images that have sold to one pseudo?  If so, does that pseudo only have those images, or do you move the sold ones to the best performing pseudo?

And, while I'm at it, how can you tell which of your images have been zoomed?  I haven't figured out that search, yet.  Maybe you move all zoomed images to the same pseudo as the sold ones?

And what does that do to the ranking of everything else...do you put all of the inactive ones into one lump pseudo?

Enough questions for you?  :)

Betty

Betty, figuring out which images have been zoomed is relatively easy.  Go to My Alamy, go to your dashboard, Go to the bottom of the page and select "your images".  This will show all of your pseudos and which ones have zooms. Click on a pseudo that has zooms.  The zoomed images will be at the top of the list.  

I tried once to organize my collections by what I thought was sellability but it never seemed to work out.  What I thought would sell hasn't and what I thought was rubbish has, go figure. Moving images around never seemed to really make much difference.  Good solid keywording always seems to be the key. 

Betty, figuring out which images have been zoomed is relatively easy.  Go to My Alamy, go to your dashboard, Go to the bottom of the page and select "your images".  This will show all of your pseudos and which ones have zooms. Click on a pseudo that has zooms.  

The zoomed images will be at the top of the list.  

Not necessarily...

Any of the columns in this table can all be used to sort the results by clicking on the column heading. The column being used as a sort key has a small triangle. If the searches with the most zooms aren't at the top of the list, click on the column heading "Your zooms", so that the data is sorted according to the number of zooms. You may need to click it twice to get the highest number of zooms at the top of the list, rather than the bottom.

Once you've got the search terms with the most zooms at the top of the list, click on the number of zooms against a search term to reveal all the viewed images. The zoomed and/or sold images will be highlighted.

You can use this sorting trick to see which search terms created the most views, or most sales etc.

Betty, figuring out which images have been zoomed is relatively easy.  Go to My Alamy, go to your dashboard, Go to the bottom of the page and select "your images".  This will show all of your pseudos and which ones have zooms. Click on a pseudo that has zooms.  

The zoomed images will be at the top of the list.  

Not necessarily...

Any of the columns in this table can all be used to sort the results by clicking on the column heading. The column being used as a sort key has a small triangle. If the searches with the most zooms aren't at the top of the list, click on the column heading "Your zooms", so that the data is sorted according to the number of zooms. You may need to click it twice to get the highest number of zooms at the top of the list, rather than the bottom.

Once you've got the search terms with the most zooms at the top of the list, click on the number of zooms against a search term to reveal all the viewed images. The zoomed and/or sold images will be highlighted.

You can use this sorting trick to see which search terms created the most views, or most sales etc.

You can sort by other columns if you wish but I believe that "zooms" is the default sort.  That's why I didn't add the bit about sorting. 

...like the deckchairs on the Titanic ---- BRAVO! )))))

I organized recently my photos in a number of pseudonims by topic. Just to use the pseudos like folders and see what I have and what I have not. As far as rating is concerned, it seems to me that this reorganization of mine, led to decreasing of my CTR. )

I tried a new pseudo, moved zoomed/licensed to it.

Not made any difference.

In fact I don't know what is happening but my views have remained constant for a few weeks. They usually go up and down.

Allan

Every time we get on this subject I say the same thing: the numbers I care about are sales and prices.

I do like to see what people zoom, which images people they want to take a closer look at, but zooms seem to have nothing whatsoever to do with my sales. Many names? One name? I would rather watch Fred and Ginger dance than to try all these steps myself. 

"Do any of you move the images that have sold to one pseudo?"

No, I never thought that this was a good idea since it might drive images in the "parent" pseudo down into the depths. Rather, I moved images that don't seem to fit (subject-wise) in my main collection into a secondary one. This seems to have worked quite well as my overall CTR is consistently above Alamy's. Currently, the CTR of my secondary pseudo -- which only has about 430 images -- is well over twice that of Alamy's. 

No sound logic here, I know. But it seems to be working. Not sure if this is due to luck or witchcraft.

Ok-a-ay, looks like moving images around won't do anything but take me away from important work. Some of you have done it with no magical results.

I always like tapping into the collective brains of this forum, it saves me wasted time. Somebody has always been there, done that, or has a valid reason for or against the action.

I actually started out with only two pseudos. One for wildlife and one for everything else. Then somewhere along the way I kept adding more. Why? Heck if I remember. Most likely something I read in the old forum that got me all excited. I do tend to be excitable. I am thinking of condensing a couple of them. Somebody said recently, though, that one shouldn't delete the empty pseudo, though, right?

Thanks for the greenie Ed, what did I do to deserve it? Or did you just want to be 100? :)

I tried exactly that a few years ago, putting all my sold and zoomed images together - but as mentioned above, the inevitable happened. I got one psuedo with a really high ranking and one on the last page. 

I do now have several different pseudos, but arranged by subject matter. I have far more travel pictures than studio images, for instance, and the studio pics do much better and have a much higher ranking.

It depends on how you see it - either your better images are helping out the worse ones, or the less good are holding back the best.

One really useful side of pseudos is for viewing in My Images. I like to go through from time to time weeding out and deleting similars and to do this I order the result according to 'My Ref', the file numbers I give them to identify the subject. This means similar images come up grouped together.

When you do that with 23,000 images all at once it can be a bit daunting, even when the system copes with putting them in order - which it usually doesn't. Pseudos are a good way of making management of your images manageable. 

:) thanks. I'm now a member of the 100 plus club!

Don't get old too quickly.

Remember though that birthdays are good for you.  Statistics prove that the more birthdays you have the longer you will live. :D

Allan

Archived