Let's Tip Our Hats to James Foley

He worked on the outer edge of our profession and paid the ultimate price. I'm greatly saddened by his pointless murder. 

Here in NYC this morning, WNYC, part of the National Public Radio group, said the killer was British, had a British accent. He did not. He spoke fluent English and there was a mixed overlay of both some British and some American in his accent, under that was a different mother tongue. 

Edo

I did not see the video. There are many terrible ways to die but I think that way is utterly barbaric.

My sincerest condolences to James family and friends.

Allan

Edo - his accent sounds like 'Multicultural London English,' which has emerged over recent years. Certainly, media comment today reports this is being investigated to establish his identity.

With you all in condemning this sickening & barbaric act & sincerest condolences to James' family.

ann

Edo - his accent sounds like 'Multicultural London English,' which has emerged over recent years. Certainly, media comment today reports this is being investigated to establish his identity.

With you all in condemning this sickening & barbaric act & sincerest condolences to James' family.

ann

Here's a recent piece about the killer's accent.

With the help of "social" media, it seems that marginalized young men can now become radicalized just about anywhere.

ann

I would not disagree with that description of the accent, Ann, a very diplomatic phrase. But I did not want to point a finger at any ethnic groups. I would not be shocked to find that he holds a British passport. We have more than our share of ethnic troubles in the USA this month. Yes, "Multicultural London English" sounds about right . . . but I bet he also spent some time over here. Whatever mix of accents he has, he's a marked man now. (Thanks for the link, John.) 

Archived