I think that most people are now totally immune to those unsightly little AdSense boxes, but I guess you never know. Some people who have very high-traffic websites -- e.g. big travel-planning sites with lots of visitors -- claim to make decent money from AdSense. However, for the average Joe or Jane Blogger, I agree, AdSense basically NonSense.

Ads appear on my blog but I don't recall anyone sending me money. Does Adsense make sense? Maybe, but it hasn't made me any cents. Which reminds me: I'm overdue for a new blog. (I'll pretend that it's summer vacation.  :)

Ads appear on my blog but I don't recall anyone sending me money. Does Adsense make sense? Maybe, but it hasn't made me any cents. Which reminds me: I'm overdue for a new blog. (I'll pretend that it's summer vacation.  :)

Ed, you've got to earn 10,000 cents before they pay you. I was blown away when a $100 cheque arrived out of the blue a couple of years ago. Suddenly the world made sense.

I am using AdSense since 2006 and my experience is now OK, but I went from very good to frustrating to see how the income was decreasing year by year since then. Maybe I started good because my site was well positioned, nearly to be 100.000 in the Alexa rank but Google has changed the algorithms several times and I lost most of my visitors, even I was continuing adding more and more images. In my first years I was earning several hundreds dollars per month while now is just 1/10 of that. My advice is if you have a good traffic is worth have it. It is free and easy to add. If not, you will have to wait years to get those 70€.

I am using AdSense since 2006 and my experience is now OK, but I went from very good to frustrating to see how the income was decreasing year by year since then. Maybe I started good because my site was well positioned, nearly to be 100.000 in the Alexa rank but Google has changed the algorithms several times and I lost most of my visitors, even I was continuing adding more and more images. In my first years I was earning several hundreds dollars per month while now is just 1/10 of that. My advice is if you have a good traffic is worth have it. It is free and easy to add. If not, you will have to wait years to get those 70€.

+1

I have Adsense linked to a couple of websites I own and to my YouTube channel and earn about $25US per month.  I get about 20,000 views per month on the YouTube channel which probably account for over most of the return.   I get a £60+ payout every 3/4 months.

Maurice

I started using AdSense in the early oughties and it was continually increasing, never making much money but enough to be paid monthly or at least bimonthly. Then it dropped off around 2008 and the drop-off happened to coincide with the rise of AdBlock Plus.

It looks to me that advertising programs based on Javascript links are no longer viable for that reason: they are too easily blocked. As was said above, very high traffic sites might make money anyway. If I decide to put effort into website publishing again, it would be with a different monetizing plan, something which doesn't rely on Javascript.

I get a decent amount of hits on my blog and use to make better Adsense revenue than I do now. I am switching blog platforms next winter,making a lot of changes and will hook up with a display ad service.

I am also drastically changing the content and how it's presented.Otherwise it becomes a dreaded chore to be making a lot of posts on a daily basis.

L

I have AdSense on my blog and, as has been said here previously will take a while to hit the payout total. If ads were on my website - which I don't particularly want, I would probably make more as it receives far more views.

What has been interesting has been the subject of the ads. They quickly became photography / publishing related and recently, a few days after I booked a (rare) holiday with a particular company, ads for that firm began appearing. Spooky. Well, probably not given how Google infiltrates everything you do online. Except, I didn't book it online. 

I use one the alternatives to adsense, you can find out why by following the link below and seeing my honest write up on most forms of site advertising I have tried on my sites ........

http://www.wildlifethailand.com/blog-posts/all-categories/11-daily-thoughts/5-making-money-with-cpc-cpm-and-affiliate-marketing

I really can't see how something that occasionally pays $100 with no ongoing input/effort from me whatsoever is a nonsense. I have adsense on a couple of non-photography sites and have never felt compelled to send the payments back because they just happen to be infrequent.

One more income stream contributing to the whole.

dd

My insufficiently active sites use Adsense and generate a payout every couple of years. I have not positioned ads for maximum effect as the content and readability was my priority. I need to make my sites more active with frequent and useful new content and I could imagine getting to payout quarterly or better fairly easily. It is probably a toss up which would be the best use of time - my websites or Alamy ;)

Just another modest revenue stream - all add up in the end.

Archived