Ed:

Thanks for that I will ry it next time.

Betty:

Sorry I did not mean to sabotage your thread!     I know it is about bikes not bricks.

We have the Tour de France cycle race starting here in Yorkshire tomorrow.   We have old bikes chained up all over the place sprayed bright yellow.  I have made some pictures but they will not be through QC until next week.

Peter, didn't you get it?  I wasn't being sarcastic, I was truly sincere when I said the most interesting conversations get going when the topic is abandoned.  I probably enjoy those threads more than any other.  So, no need to apologize for something I'm greatly enjoying!

Here in Vancouver, it's common to see skeleton bikes -- i.e. the sad, rusting remains of cannibalized bicycles still locked to bike racks and trees. I've never thought of photographing them, though. With the ever increasing numbers of bikes on the road, there is now a constant war between car drivers and cyclists who refuse to obey the traffic laws. I got rid of my old bike last year and, as much as I enjoy cycling, I don't think I'll get a new one. Ironically, eco-friendly bike riding has become much too dangerous. 

BTW, Peter, what is the official name the type of paving shown on the right side of this image?

D2A3H9.jpg

John,

These paviors look as though they have been cut from solid rock, could be granite, if so they would be granite setts.

Like these being laid in my E29D41 and, no I still did not manage to drag it into this post.

Betty:

Sorry again the thread was not about bikes or bricks. It was about Photoshop Camera shake.   If it happens to me I just dump the image. 

Here in Vancouver, it's common to see skeleton bikes -- i.e. the sad, rusting remains of cannibalized bicycles still locked to bike racks and trees. I've never thought of photographing them, though. With the ever increasing numbers of bikes on the road, there is now a constant war between car drivers and cyclists who refuse to obey the traffic laws. I got rid of my old bike last year and, as much as I enjoy cycling, I don't think I'll get a new one. Ironically, eco-friendly bike riding has become much too dangerous. 

BTW, Peter, what is the official name the type of paving shown on the right side of this image?

D2A3H9.jpg

John,

These paviors look as though they have been cut from solid rock, could be granite, if so they would be granite setts.

Like these being laid in my E29D41 and, no I still did not manage to drag it into this post.

Betty:

Sorry again the thread was not about bikes or bricks. It was about Photoshop Camera shake.   If it happens to me I just dump the image. 

Thanks, Peter, they most likely are granite setts (a new word for me) by the sounds of it. My grandfather and his father before him were both stonemasons from Cumberland, UK, so I should know this stuff.

P.S. just added "granite setts" to the keyword

Sì, Betty. La conversazione è migliore quando il permesso di prendere la propria direzione. Oh, we need to talk in English? Should I translate? I better. Wim and others will be writing in Dutch if I don't. 

"Yes, Betty. Conversation is best when allowed to take its own direction."  Forgive me; I just had a rather large portion of fresh fettuccine.  :mellow:

And John, I like that road shot of yours. The composition gives it dignity. 

Ed:

Thanks for that I will ry it next time.

Betty:

Sorry I did not mean to sabotage your thread!     I know it is about bikes not bricks.

We have the Tour de France cycle race starting here in Yorkshire tomorrow.   We have old bikes chained up all over the place sprayed bright yellow.  I have made some pictures but they will not be through QC until next week.

Peter, didn't you get it?  I wasn't being sarcastic, I was truly sincere when I said the most interesting conversations get going when the topic is abandoned.  I probably enjoy those threads more than any other.  So, no need to apologize for something I'm greatly enjoying!

Betty,

Just to straighten  this out,  I have been at home all day for two days having new windows fitted in the front of my house.   Fairly eventful as the largest of the double glazed panes was broken by fitter, sent back to the factory to be rebuilt, and then broken again.  New one, made with reinforced glass, to be fitted next Friday.  

Being mostly bored waiting for the job to get finished I dipped in and out of this thread.  

I had not actually read your post about it being an interesting conversation when, not once, but twice I apologised for sabotaging the thread. 

Sorry for the confusion, I too enjoy this kind of chat, all sorts of interesting things can turn up.

Sì, Betty. La conversazione è migliore quando il permesso di prendere la propria direzione. Oh, we need to talk in English? Should I translate? I better. Wim and others will be writing in Dutch if I don't. 

"Yes, Betty. Conversation is best when allowed to take its own direction."  Forgive me; I just had a rather large portion of fresh fettuccine.  :mellow:

And John, I like that road shot of yours. The composition gives it dignity. 

Thanks, Ed. Unfortunately this one has never sold (What else is new, eh?). Perhaps the more accurate keywords will help. Guess I'll owe Peter a cut if it does lease at some point. 

Oh, Peter, I don't envy you. 

That reminds me of when I had a bathoom remodel, once.  The cabinet makers came out and measured.  Went back to the shop and made custom-built oak cabinets with double sink openings.  I would put on the stain and finish.  They came back to install them and had made them 6 inches longer than would fit in the bathroom.  Another week wait and then the new ones they built were installed. Meanwhile, we were without sink use in a one-bath home. It was supposed to be a one day turnaround.

OK, next came the guys with the countertop.   I looked at the countertop when they finished and they had scratched it up horribly while sanding rough edges of the cutout around the sinks.  I made them take it off and reorder.

So the 2nd one comes. I happen to be watching from a viewpoint that showed everything, and I saw them slop some kind of solvent that removed excess glue all over the fronts of my unfinished oak cabinets.  At the time, I had no idea what this would mean, since it evaporated from the wood and I couldn't see any damage.  That is, until I began putting the stain on.  Everywhere the solvent went, and it went all over the place in big ugly splashes, and to my horror, the stain grabbed those areas and became about 10 times darker than the rest of it.  Caused from raising the grain, I'm told.  Furthermore, I started the staining at one end where no damage was, and had it half done before I moved into the bad place.

I had to sand everything down to raw wood and start over, and I was not happy.  And, of course, I had the floor guy scheduled to come after the plumber installed the tub and toilet, but the plumber didn't show when he should have and I had to reschedule the floor guy.  I do believe if one did their own contracting to build a new house, one would commit suicide before they got half done.  

I did a bang up job on the staining/polyurethane coats, and was pleased when it was done.  The first project was: I removed all the wall tile, floated the rough places with the putty stuff, smoothed, sanded, sealed and when everything else was finished, hung wallpaper.

Oh, Peter, I don't envy you. 

That reminds me of when I had a bathoom remodel, once.  The cabinet makers came out and measured.  Went back to the shop and made custom-built oak cabinets with double sink openings.  I would put on the stain and finish.  They came back to install them and had made them 6 inches longer than would fit in the bathroom.  Another week wait and then the new ones they built were installed. Meanwhile, we were without sink use in a one-bath home. It was supposed to be a one day turnaround.

OK, next came the guys with the countertop.   I looked at the countertop when they finished and they had scratched it up horribly while sanding rough edges of the cutout around the sinks.  I made them take it off and reorder.

So the 2nd one comes. I happen to be watching from a viewpoint that showed everything, and I saw them slop some kind of solvent that removed excess glue all over the fronts of my unfinished oak cabinets.  At the time, I had no idea what this would mean, since it evaporated from the wood and I couldn't see any damage.  That is, until I began putting the stain on.  Everywhere the solvent went, and it went all over the place in big ugly splashes, and to my horror, the stain grabbed those areas and became about 10 times darker than the rest of it.  Caused from raising the grain, I'm told.  Furthermore, I started the staining at one end where no damage was, and had it half done before I moved into the bad place.

I had to sand everything down to raw wood and start over, and I was not happy.  And, of course, I had the floor guy scheduled to come after the plumber installed the tub and toilet, but the plumber didn't show when he should have and I had to reschedule the floor guy.  I do believe if one did their own contracting to build a new house, one would commit suicide before they got half done.  

I did a bang up job on the staining/polyurethane coats, and was pleased when it was done.  The first project was: I removed all the wall tile, floated the rough places with the putty stuff, smoothed, sanded, sealed and when everything else was finished, hung wallpaper.

Betty,

I worked on major construction projects for much of my working life, so I was quite relaxed about what happened yesterday with my windows.  With the best will in the world this kind of thing happens.   The job was two bedroom windows on the first floor, a large bay window on the ground floor and a tiny window in a ground floor closet.  

The plan was that on day1 everything would be finished except the bay, which would be done on day 2.    At the end of day 1 the little closet window was finished and one bedroom window installed with the inner glass broken.    On day 2 they brought in an extra fitter and got it all finished except for the broken glass in the bedroom.  They were prepared to do that as well but offered to fit toughened glass if I was prepared to wait unyil next week, to which I agreed.

I placed the order with them about 3 weeks ago.  Their surveyor came and measured up the windows and told us the date and time the would come to do the job.  They turned up on time and everything fitted.  I used them for a previous job at the back of the house and I will get them to do a conservatory next year.   Things went wrong, but they dealt with it.  Good enough for me.  Only slight annoyance was that one of them had a strong but sadly tuneless singing voice.

Your bathroom fitters making things that do not fit and damaging them when fitting were just totally unacceptable.

Back in the late 60's I got a new job in a new town, where I bought a newly built town house for a barely affordable £4000.   I had a colleague at work some 15 years older than I, who started work there at the same time.   He was just in the final stages of completing a large detatched house, in a desirable area, which he had designed himself and built using local tradesmen, doing all he purchasing, management, supervision, dealing with authorities and utilities etc. himself.    It cost about £14,000.   He was experienced in construction management, but when I asked if he would do it again he replied "Never, not for a million pounds"

When you looked out your door this morning, Peter, that crowd of strangers you saw were tourists, sport fans, and media folk. I hope all those 'bikers' didn't spoil the lovely Yorkshire countryside.  :)

Edo 

Edo,

We are right on the north edge of Yorkshire, so most of the cycling action is about 80 miles south of here.  

Cycle racing is the only sport I ever took any active part in so I am certainly interested to see what happens.   I did see the Tour de France pass on the road, in 1965 in a small village in the (Spanish) Pyrenees.    In Yorkshire they are expecting 1 million people along the route.   A few years ago, I would have certainly been there, but in my current circumstances it is all too difficult to be worth the trouble.    I hope and expect it will be a big success.  

Tomorrow in our village we have a sponsored bike ride.  If I can make any useful pictures I will stick them on the News Feed, although competing for sales with the Tour will be tough.   Quirky images called for, if I manage to see/shoot any...

It's going past the top of our street, but I don't expect to get anything newsable. Just a snap or two for the album.

I think good photography of road racing is very hard to do.   I have a most excellent book "The Great Tours" by Graham Watson (1994).    It showcases his work on the Tours of France Italy and Spain.   Several times he was to cover all three races in the same year.    Pictures both from the roadside and sitting backwards on a motor bike.  The details of the equipment he used for many of the pictures gives me pause for thought.   Virtually all taken with fill flash, often on a Bronica ETRS only 15 on 120 but the great benefit of flash sync. at 1/500 sec.

It's going past the top of our street, but I don't expect to get anything newsable. Just a snap or two for the album.

Ah, you've made me feel better. It's passing a couple of miles from me but I just couldn't be bothered to spend hours fighting my way to a good spot (on foot of course because the roads wil be closed) just for a quick snap of a blur of cyclists.

Alan

The tour is coming through Cambridge tomorrow, very near to where I live, but I cannot be bothered either.

Crowds, Roads closed. Buses diverted, yes I have a bus pass. Places closed to public. No good vantage points, unless you camp out overnight. And all for a quick flash.

No thanks.

Allan

The tour is coming through Cambridge tomorrow, very near to where I live, but I cannot be bothered either.

Crowds, Roads closed. Buses diverted, yes I have a bus pass. Places closed to public. No good vantage points, unless you camp out overnight. And all for a quick flash.

No thanks.

Allan

And, thousands of pictures taken and competing with your flash.  Unless one is lucky enough to get the only shot of a bicycle crash, forgetaboutit.

No thanks.

Allan

And, thousands of pictures taken and competing with your flash.  Unless one is lucky enough to get the only shot of a bicycle crash, forgetaboutit.

Hi Betty, The US of A has woken up huh! :huh:  Just when I am about to go for a shower and something to eat before hitting the sack in about 4-5 hrs time. ;)

Unfortunately tomorrow is a housework day, not looking forward to that either. :(

Must stop using smilies or I won't have enough left for the rest of the month.

Allan

I'll have you know I was up early.  But I spent a couple of hours in a snit because my paper wasn't in the driveway. For the 3rd morning in a row!!  It's always delivered by 6 a.m., and when I underwent chemotherapy 10 years ago, I was usually up by 5:30 and it would be there by then, usually. 

I've taken the paper and read it forever.  I can't start my day properly without a good read and 2 cups of java.  I eventually got it, but only after calling the paper twice.  Turns out, our carrier (73 years old) had his car stolen 3 days ago, and another carrier is doing his own route then ours.

If the women on the other end of the line when I called all 3 mornings would have related that to me, I would have had more patience.  Instead, the sub carrier rang my doorbell with the paper mid-morning and explained the tale of woe.

So you are lucky I wasn't on the forum early. I might have bitten your head off.  :wacko:

Betty,

No deliveries here, so we have to go out and buy our papers.  Fortunately three shops within a couple of minutes walk.  If we ever wanted to match your routine one of them does open at 6 a.m.

I have a tablet with Windows 8.1, on which I read most of the main stories on Bing News when I wake early, which I usually do.

Betty,

No deliveries here, so we have to go out and buy our papers.  Fortunately three shops within a couple of minutes walk.  If we ever wanted to match your routine one of them does open at 6 a.m.

I have a tablet with Windows 8.1, on which I read most of the main stories on Bing News when I wake early, which I usually do.

I could give up the paper, but I need something to line the bird cages with, spread out on the floor for small painting jobs, etc.  Plus I just love holding that ink covered reading material, and doing the puzzles.  When we travel with our parrots, a sack full of papers go with us.

I know what you mean Betty. We could read all our newspapers, magazines, books etc. on line or on a Kindle ( or derivative), but there is something about having it in your hands and being able to turn the pages, lovely. :)

Allan

PS: Sorry if I upset you with my earlier remark. :(  Was not aimed at you personally. Just saying the US was waking up generally.

Betty,

I could give up the paper, but I need something to line the bird cages with, spread out on the floor for small painting jobs, etc.  Plus I just love holding that ink covered reading material, and doing the puzzles.  When we travel with our parrots, a sack full of papers go with us.

We always buy papers as well.   My wife has the Daily Mail and I have the "i" a concise summary version of the Independent.    I like to read from a proper paper and do puzzles Soduku, Crossword and Codeword, and my paper only costs 30p (about 50c US). 

Ah, you've made me feel better. It's passing a couple of miles from me but I just couldn't be bothered to spend hours fighting my way to a good spot (on foot of course because the roads wil be closed) just for a quick snap of a blur of cyclists.

Alan

As it happens I did put a few up. Great occasion but such a crush. Even a stepladder didn't help much.

Archived