I know what you mean Betty. We could read all our newspapers, magazines, books etc. on line or on a Kindle ( or derivative), but there is something about having it in your hands and being able to turn the pages, lovely. :)

Allan

PS: Sorry if I upset you with my earlier remark.    Was not aimed at you personally. Just saying the US was waking up generally.

Alan, you don't quite "get" my sense of humor!  :P  I wasn't upset over your remark at all.  I thought it was quite witty of you.  Please stop with the apologies or you will upset me.  I never sweat the small stuff, and I don't look for insults...in fact, I tend to give people the benefit of doubt, always.   The only thing I was upset about was not getting my paper on time and having it disrupt my whole morning routine! :o

I'm very easy-going, so when I trade barbs and insults with you, take it as I mean it, done with humor and friendship.

Now if you upset me by calling me fat and ugly, I will accept your apology. :lol:

Betty

I know what you mean Betty. We could read all our newspapers, magazines, books etc. on line or on a Kindle ( or derivative), but there is something about having it in your hands and being able to turn the pages, lovely. :)

Allan

PS: Sorry if I upset you with my earlier remark.    Was not aimed at you personally. Just saying the US was waking up generally.

Alan, you don't quite "get" my sense of humor!  :P  I wasn't upset over your remark at all.  I thought it was quite witty of you.  Please stop with the apologies or you will upset me.  I never sweat the small stuff, and I don't look for insults...in fact, I tend to give people the benefit of doubt, always.   The only thing I was upset about was not getting my paper on time and having it disrupt my whole morning routine! :o

I'm very easy-going, so when I trade barbs and insults with you, take it as I mean it, done with humor and friendship.

Now if you upset me by calling me fat and ugly, I will accept your apology. :lol:

Betty

Hope I am too much of a gentleman to even think it Betty. ^_^

This thread/forum reminds me of a phrase heard some time ago. "There are no strangers in this world - just friends you have not met yet."

Allan

This thread/forum reminds me of a phrase heard some time ago. "There are no strangers in this world - just friends you have not met yet."

And if the internet has achieved anything, it's to reassure you that there's an awful lot of them that you hope remain strangers...

Alan

Too true - too true, mores the pity. :mellow:

Allan

Evil is always out there, I'm aware.  But I don't focus on that, I focus on the people who make this world a better and friendly place.  The glass is always 3/4 full for me.  The other fourth is what makes me look around at my surroundings carefully when in a parking garage, and lock my doors at home.

I have always given people the benefit of doubt but not a couple of weeks ago.

On one of my walks to the nearby river, which is down a quiet country lane, two unsavoury looking youths on wrecks of bikes passed me and slowed a bit. I noted they were looking at the camera slung round my neck. They then moved on and I hung around at the railway crossing for a little as though taking photos. When they stopped a bit further on and sat on a seat at an even quieter area I did an about turn and made my way back to the village.

It just did not feel safe so went with my instinct. I would rather miss a photo or two than loose the camera, and be thrown into the river as well.

Allan

Your Spidey sense reared up, Allan.  Always good to listen to it.  I've got quite the spidey sense myself. I have a good sense of premonition, too. When our son was about 12, he wanted a used dirt bike. We're talking about a small motorcycle, kind of tiny.  I had this bad feeling.  I listened to my feelings and said no.  But he got his dad/my husband on board, promised to never ride it in the street. About a block away was a dirt track with hills, and he wanted to ride on that.

So, in spite of my bad feelings, I gave in.  About the 3rd time he rode on the track, he jumped a hill and when he landed, the gas tank jarred loose and caught fire, spewing flaming gasoline everywhere.

Jeff jumped free with only a slight singe to his arm.  He could have caught on fire and died. It scared the bejammers out of him. (and I about passed out when he told me) From then on, I stood my ground.  To the point that sometimes everyone was mad at me. 

And no, I wasn't a helicopter mom.  I allowed the kids to do things. I didn't wrap them in cotton batting. They rode horses, snow and water skied, camped, rode bikes, stuff like that.  It's just that when I got that "sense of doom" connected with something, I paid attention.

Archived