RX100 file format

Is there something peculiar about the disc format on the RX100? I've just bought a secondhand one to play about with and neither of my card readers will recognise the card at all. The card is not faulty because it's capturing images and they are visible on the camera.

Alan

Edit: sorry, the topic heading should read disc format, not file format.

Is it an old card reader, Alan? I know I have come across advice to get the newer ones but, of course, I can't remember why!!! Not very helpful, I suppose, but I know you will be able to research the issue of old readers and new cards. I haven't had problems with the RX100 and my reader.

Paulette

Is it an old card reader, Alan?

I have a card reader in two of my computers and neither would read the card. One of the readers is only a few weeks old.

I managed to find a micro USB cable at the bottom of a box of odds and sods so I've been able to import the pics directly from the camera.

Maria, I simply downloaded the Sony RAW converter from their site and it handled the RAWs without any problems.

Alan

Have you tried connecting to the computer using the micro USB?

I've just joined the RX100 club and I downloaded my first batch direct from the camera using the supplied micro USB cable without any bother.

John

I've just joined the RX100 club and I downloaded my first batch direct from the camera using the supplied micro USB cable without any bother.

John

Welcome to the 100club John. Yes I prefer to use the USB cable too.

Allan

John

Welcome to the 100club John. Yes I prefer to use the USB cable too.

Allan

Thanks Alan!

Have you uploaded any to Alamy? What size were your images? I'm wondering if I will have to downsize my images to pass QC.

John.

I've uploaded many of these to Alamy that have passed.  I have downsized many of them, ones that I couldn't see being needed in a large size.  Just a precaution, not that I thought they looked soft, but more of my own insecurity with a new camera.  I have uploaded some full sized ones that did pass.

I've uploaded many of these to Alamy that have passed.  I have downsized many of them, ones that I couldn't see being needed in a large size.  Just a precaution, not that I thought they looked soft, but more of my own insecurity with a new camera.  I have uploaded some full sized ones that did pass.

Yes, that was what I was thinking.

John.

John sorry I'm late in replying.

I shoot RAW, process in PSE 11 using adobe RAW processor, then continue with Tiff in PSE. 

I have not downsized any of the images I upload to Alamy, and it is a lot, all at native size. Non have failed QC.  (yet) :) 

Allan

Well, having now viewed my first batch of pix from the RX100, I am distinctly underwhelmed by the image quality. There's no way I would submit any of these to Alamy. I've also discovered that I simply don't like photographing without a viewfinder. So the camera is heading for eBay asap. I don't have the budget for anything more expensive so for the moment here endeth my experiment in pocketability.

Alan

Alan,

I should get my Mk1 back over the next few days after sending it in to Sony, as like yourself I have struggled to get Alamy QC quality photos out of it.

With this in mind it might be worth hanging on to see if it comes back as good as many people seem to rave about. I am not convinced it will but the proof will be in the pudding but either way I will let you know.

Andy

Archived