Why does Sony RX100 meet the requirement?

Hong

Question

Sorry for this rudimentary question. I am a newbie and have read a lot of comments here about Sony RX100.

According to Alamy’s rough guide to digital cameras, "Alamy recommend using cameras with four thirds sensors as a minimum requirement", Sony RX100's 1" sensor size is smaller than four-thirds. All the posts about RX100 I have read here do not suggest it has a sensor size issue. Is Sony RX100 an exception in this regard?

20 answers to this question

On 08/04/2024 at 07:35, Hong said:

Sorry for this rudimentary question. I am a newbie and have read a lot of comments here about Sony RX100.

According to Alamy’s rough guide to digital cameras, "Alamy recommend using cameras with four thirds sensors as a minimum requirement", Sony RX100's 1" sensor size is smaller than four-thirds. All the posts about RX100 I have read here do not suggest it has a sensor size issue. Is Sony RX100 an exception in this regard?

Sorry I’m not a technical person. The key word in what Alamy says is “recommend”. That means there can be exceptions, I assume. Obviously the RX100 series fit in that exception. A lot of people use them.  Most not necessarily as their main camera, like me, but as an easily carried camera when I’m out doing other things besides a deliberate shoot.

They are good enough that some people shoot only with them. My main nit from the original one on (I have three) is noise can be a problem at higher ISOs indoors or darker environments. I learned removing it carefully in LR worked well, but DeNoise makes it a non-issue.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

I don't know, but it might be pushing it to use one for your first 3 submissions, they will be paying closer attention to those. Make sure they are at standard ISO, preferably in bright conditions at a 'normal' aperture and perfectly sharp. Play safe.

• Love 1

IMO the RX100 series are quite exceptional cameras. Their lenses are good and although they only have 1" sensors they're backside illuminated which helps maximise the light reaching the photosites, so noise is relatively low for a small sensor. My RX100 produces images that are just as good as those I get from my Panasonic Lumix cameras which have larger micro4/3 sensors. Sure the RX100s aren't as good as much larger sensors, so don't push the ISO rating too high, but they can easily meet Alamy QC. For your test submission, consider shooting in RAW mode below 400ASA in good light and process in Lightroom, Photoshop or similar. Avoid over processing.  Inspect at 100% size to check sharpness / focus and freedom from aberrations. Downsize to 6MP before submission if you want to further increase chances of passing.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1

Thank you all for the highly informative comments. I think I am going to get an RX100 VII because I need a pocket-size zoom camera for my frequent travels for business and pleasure (not photography). I do not see a better alternative. I have been using Sony HX for years but they apparently have too small sensors for Alamy.

I will try to use my old Canon T5 for initial submission. Hope they will work however I am not sure if T5 is good enough for sports. I plan to use it to take a lot of pictures at next week's Boston Marathon which I usually go to every year. 

The most disappointing is that Alamy apparently would not accept pictures from my Skydio 2 drone. I thought it took great aerial pictures.  

Hong, when it comes to modern cameras, processing is all. Shoot raw, use low ISO's, don't oversaturate, and use good processing software. As for your Skydio, have it shoot raw and treat the files as if they were shot for your life's retrospective. 

• Love 3

This book by Alexander White https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YK25DZF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_351_o01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is a very complete handbook for the very complicated menus. There are many, many choices and I don't think I would ever have understood all the possibilities on the RX100 without that book. You can get it on Kindle so it comes with you everywhere.

Paulette

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I took this with my battered RX100 V. Despite the challenging lighting, no noise adjustments or downsizing was required, The 24-70 mm equivalent lens on this camera is the best I have encountered from Sony. 

2WYPYGN.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Just hi-jacking this thread slightly but I was talking to a botanist the other day and he wondered if this camera would be good at photographing flowers etc., he was often finding his Sony A6300 with 35mm Macro was larger than he wanted to carry around on walks. Would it be good for this also?

33 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Just hi-jacking this thread slightly but I was talking to a botanist the other day and he wondered if this camera would be good at photographing flowers etc., he was often finding his Sony A6300 with 35mm Macro was larger than he wanted to carry around on walks. Would it be good for this also?

I shoot a lot of flowers, plants and trees including close ups and they seem to pass QC well.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

One of my plants that has sold a few times was taken with the first RX100. 

Paulette

Thanks, I told him that I thought it would be fine but wasn't sure. I imagine that he just wants to record plants, flowers, leaves, seedheads etc. for later identification.

I wonder if there is an online QC tool to prescreen photos before they are submitted to Alamy. I took a lot of photos of today's Boston Marathon. I want to select a few for my initial submission. I don't want to waste my time and Alamy's time by submitting photos that have little chance of passing the QC.

4 hours ago, Hong said:

I wonder if there is an online QC tool to prescreen photos before they are submitted to Alamy. I took a lot of photos of today's Boston Marathon. I want to select a few for my initial submission. I don't want to waste my time and Alamy's time by submitting photos that have little chance of passing the QC.

Photos taken at a marathon might normally be considered as live news or reportage, and would not be subject to the normal QC procedure. Once uploaded they would be marked as being news or reportage and would automatically include the message "This image could have imperfections". However to load Live News you need to have a Live News account, and to upload Reportage you would need to be an established contributor with a good QC record.

I wouldn't be uploading anything shot in difficult conditions as my initial submission. Pick some boring static subjects lit by good light, maybe consider using a tripod.  Buildings, scenic views, flowers etc should be fine.  They won't be judged on aesthetics, just technical quality.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 2