What (not) to shoot ?

7 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

V.nice but needs Jam!

👍😉

Home made jam on croissants or in porridge in our house. Not sure that there is a photo opportunity there.

• Love 1

I try to stick to Southeastern US and mainly North Carolina.  Not sure how many pics of the Great Dismal Swamp there is on here but I have sold pics of the local area many times.  Plus one for the Crunchy Peanut Butter.

Marvin

16 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

V.nice but needs Jam!

Texan daughter in law says saturday mornings were for Cartoons and Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.

👍😉

I fix peanut butter & jelly, or jam, or preserves sandwiches when I’m in the mood for something sweet that sticks to my ribs. Currently it’s apricot jam, one of my favorites. I make apricot fried pies from dried apricots occasionally.

This one is apple, cut in half.

2G4P53P.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
oh Bettyboo
you have triggered a new idea
computer screen that, when licked,
emit flavors one can taste...
heading to patent office, I am...

:lol:

On 15/01/2024 at 15:11, Jansos said:

Can someone remind me where the list of 'prohibited' items to photograph is located? I seem to remember there was a list of various things that were off limits. Am I imagining it or was there something more tangible? 

Thanks for all the responses. As ever, I wasn't particularly precise with my specific requirements. What I was looking for was something alone these lines for restrictions on landmarks and the like in commercial photography. Is there something more comprehensive than this?

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/known-image-restrictions.html#key

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

Thanks for all the responses. As ever, I wasn't particularly precise with my specific requirements. What I was looking for was something alone these lines for restrictions on landmarks and the like in commercial photography. Is there something more comprehensive than this?

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/known-image-restrictions.html#key

I assume the same restrictions would apply to images on Alamy, but I also assume you will find available images for many of them. It depends on whether the company/building/etc. finds them and complains. I wasn't aware the cathedral in Vienna was not allowed to have interior photos and had to take them down--and that church is not on the list you posted.

Edited by Lori Rider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lori Rider said:

I assume the same restrictions would apply to images on Alamy, but I also assume you will find available images for many of them. It depends on whether the company/building/etc. finds them and complains. I wasn't aware the cathedral in Vienna was not allowed to have interior photos and had to take them down--and that church is not on the list you posted.

Yes, the image restrictions would apply to any of the various agencies. Remember though that these restrictions are primarily pertaining to commercial photography. I believe you are OK if you use them in editorial stock. The list isn't very comprehensive. Does anyone know of anything better?

Edited by Jansos

11 minutes ago, Jansos said:

these restrictions are primarily pertaining to commercial photography. I believe you are OK if you use them in editorial stock.

Isn't stock commercial photography?

Just now, Michael Ventura said:

It can be but if you mark your photos for editorial only, then no.

Wow, ok. I thought commercial was an exchange of money, not just advertising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

I thought commercial was an exchange of money, not just advertising.

because you are in UK, you are correct;

in US, photos that sell-advertise are commercial usage;
in US, photos that illustrate or educate are NOT commercial, they are editorial;
in US, an editorial stock shooter is NOT a commercial photographer;
in UK, photos that earn money are commercial;
in UK, editorial photos earning money are commercial photos;
in UK, an editorial stock shooter is a commercial photographer;

PLEASE COMMENT IF INCORRECT...
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

in US, photos that illustrate or educate are NOT commercial, they are editorial;

Maybe explains why there are 10,000 photos of Colonial Williamsburg here on Alamy, despite it appearing on the banned list. 

In all of the time I have been uploading to Alamy, the worst that has happened has been that I have been asked to remove an image as it was taken on private property. or, on one occasion,  was of a piece of public art  (in France).  Not worth arguing about, photos deleted. I was once asked to remove a photo of part of a UK building that was taken from a public space, the picture is still here. If in doubt, mark as editorial only.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I fix peanut butter & jelly, or jam, or preserves sandwiches when I’m in the mood for something sweet that sticks to my ribs. Currently it’s apricot jam, one of my favorites. I make apricot fried pies from dried apricots occasionally.

This one is apple, cut in half.

2G4P53P.jpg

Caution filling is HOT!

Looks tasty.

7 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

But have you tried it? 😉

Well... There is an expression that says, you won't know if you like it until you try it. But I don't need to try being mugged to know I won't like it 🤪

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Aha, this explains a lot. I wasn't aware of this distinction. So perhaps this is a dumb question, but on Alamy, a UK-based company, do UK rules apply to UK subjects and US rules to US subjects?