"Forget Something grab it here"
bleached out by ceiling spotlight;
burning in or leveling down turned it brown-gray
without improving view of letters...
how do others handle this?
thanks in advance

2rc0507.jpg
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

Cropping it out, unfortunately, wouldn't work in this instance. By the way, it is upper right, not upper left. You could try reducing highlights in Lightroom. I think that would just be equivalent to what you said you did though.

Paulette

Is this a RAW conversion?

Could you go back to RAW and with the same settings as this one, just move your Highlights slider (nowadays under Light) all the way to the left. Remember you're only looking to fix this spot, not the whole image all at once.

If this has not fixed it, without changing anything else, just move your Exposure slider slowly to the left. See if most of the sign appears. Somewhere between totally ugly and most of it is readable stop and save. Now use this image as a layer on your original image to paint in the spot. Don't overdo it. Just start with a 10% brush.

If it did not come back in RAW, set all settings to neutral, then move your Highlights slider to the left and so on.

Some of you are now yelling at the screen just use local brushes or mask in ACR!

Yes one can do that too.

One could take courses or read books or the Photoshop manual even, but some just jump in and manage to stay perfectly afloat without all that.

wim

thanks for responses, will study

unfortunately, layers is outside me wheelhouse

moving I sometimes do, if new composition is salable...

there can be multiple spotlights, one disappears, others appear...

yes shoot RAW, perhaps purposeful underexposure saves spotlight details...?

& bringing up shadows without introducing noise...

but situations like this can happen fast...

In ACR use selection brush with soft edge to select the "bleached out" area. Then use slider to reduce highlights. No need for layers if you're not comfortable with them. This assumes that in the RAW file it's not completely "blown".

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

2 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

If you don't use layers, open the image again in a second window using settings that make the sign OK, then copy that portion of the image and paste it onto the first and erase the bit around the sign. 

The pasted part is on a layer.

wim

3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

open the image again in a second window using settings that make the sign OK, then copy that portion of the image and paste it onto the first...

this I can do !
and can click "flatten" if image became layered;
but as others said, if leveled down sign becomes
oddly darkened or there is no detail...
by chance, has anyone already checked OP sign for "hidden" detail?

10 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
this I can do !
and can click "flatten" if image became layered;
but as others said, if leveled down sign becomes
oddly darkened or there is no detail...
by chance, has anyone already checked OP sign for "hidden" detail?

yes.

wim

Jeff, a question if I may. I've looked through your portfolio and you have so many good pictures of everyday life. 

Please, what is it in this one that makes you want to save it?

Is there something in it that you can see that I can't?

Or is it wanting to save a picture that is going to get away? There is only one answer to that.

All the best

🦔

Ps If you ever fix the sign, a portrait crop, woman on the right third, now that works. Where do I send my fee?

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Several things I don't understand here

1. As Mr S says "what is it in this one that makes you want to save it?"  My guess is that it's because it's there.

2. As Jeff says  "unfortunately, layers is outside me wheelhouse" Why the stratophobia (fear of layers)? Fortunately there is a cure that works in 99.9% of cases but you have to want to be cured.  

3. Why does Mark think examining the raw file might find "hidden detail"? The text is legible just about but editing the raw would make very little difference over editing the JPEG here. The problem is the blown out highlight and the unevenness across the sign. Even reducing the brightness of the highlight in the raw to bring back some detail in the sign still leaves a mess that would be very difficult to fix in any acceptable way. The easiest thing would be to fill the fill the sign with a plain or gradient fll and redo the text in Photoshop - that would involve text and other layers of course and it would still be hugely time consuming, not least because the woman is partly obscuring the sign. 

4. What to do about the completely blown out bananas and oranges?

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Because it often surprises me how much highlight detail can be recovered from the RAW file that's been lost from a processed/clipped jpg....

Mark

Yes obviously I understand that but the problem with the sign here is that it is not just about recovering highlight detail. The sign is a hetergeneous mess because of the spotlight and I think would require an awful lot more work to make it look acceptable than would be achieveable using a highlight slider. I would be very surprised if you can do that on the raw image but by all means have a go. 

The oranges and bananas are a different kettle of fruit so to speak as they are completely blown out on the tops but have some colour on the sides so there may be some hope of recovery there - not that that will fix the image but it might be a case of being able to recover blown highlights on the raw image.

Edited by MDM