CF card - help wanted

I formatted one of my 16GB CF cards on my computer (thinking that I might get a more thorough format than on the camera) but now the Canon 5D2 simply won't recognise the card at all. I've tried all the formats available on Win10 - Fat32, exFat and NTFS. I had assumed that even if it was not the correct format the Canon would treat it as a new blank card and re-format it, but now it just says that the card can't be formatted.

Any ideas?

Alan

Edited by Inchiquin

I don’t have an answer for you Alan, but if you have all the images off the card, I would just toss in the rubbish bin and get a new one.  A new one in the U.S. goes for under $20, so I bet it would be about the same in the U.K. (In Pounds).

But someone like MDM may have better advice.

• Like 1

Even if you manage to reformat the card, would you actually trust what must be a pretty old card? Me I wouldn't use it again as once a card starts to misbehave it's time to say goodbye, moreover as your camera has only one card slot so you have no backup. Assuming there are no bent pins as Joe suggests which you can check if you have another card, a new card might be a good idea anyway. Compact Flash is getting to be old tech by now but you can still buy a SanDisk 32GB from Wex for £39.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

If another card does not work then +1 for Joseph.

If another card does work then wait for MDM.

I'll get popcorn.

🦔

Haha. You just beat me to it. Not that I have any suggestions other than a new card.

• Like 2

I had a SanDisk card refuse to be formatted. SanDisk sent me a new one (free) and got the images off of the old one for me. It seems to me that in that case I already had the images downloaded but I appreciated the service I got from them.

Paulette

7 hours ago, MDM said:

Even if you manage to reformat the card, would you actually trust what must be a pretty old card? Me I wouldn't use it again as once a card starts to misbehave it's time to say goodbye, moreover as your camera has only one card slot so you have no backup. Assuming there are no bent pins as Joe suggests which you can check if you have another card, a new card might be a good idea anyway. Compact Flash is getting to be old tech by now but you can still buy a SanDisk 32GB from Wex for £39.  

The card was working fine. It was only my decision to format it that seems to have caused the problem. It's basically only a spare that I carry with me just in case the card I'm using fails. £39 seems like an awful lot of cash when you can get an SD for under a tenner. As it's outdated technology I was hoping that my existing cards would keep going long enough to see me to my next camera, but as the 5D2 is 14 years old and still performing as it was when new, and I'm not exactly flush with cash, I don't know when that might be!

Alan

8 hours ago, sooth said:

is there a "FAT" format option, i.e., fat 16? try that

FAT16 is no longer an option on the standard Windows formatter. There may be a 3rd party solution for this but I was hoping someone might know if this would be the answer before going down that route.

Alan

On 19/10/2023 at 08:03, Inchiquin said:

I formatted one of my 16GB CF cards on my computer (thinking that I might get a more thorough format than on the camera) but now the Canon 5D2 simply won't recognise the card at all. I've tried all the formats available on Win10 - Fat32, exFat and NTFS. I had assumed that even if it was not the correct format the Canon would treat it as a new blank card and re-format it, but now it just says that the card can't be formatted.

Any ideas?

Alan

Try just erasing it without reformatting and then seeing if your Canon will set it up.  

5 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Try just erasing it without reformatting and then seeing if your Canon will set it up.  

How do you erase a card or a disk without reformatting it? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

FAT16 is no longer an option on the standard Windows formatter. There may be a 3rd party solution for this but I was hoping someone might know if this would be the answer before going down that route.

Alan

On Mac there is an option to format to MS-DOS (FAT) as well as Ex-FAT and MS-DOS (FAT32) so presumably MS-DOS (FAT) is FAT16. If you know someone with a Mac, it might be worth a try. I just erased an SD-Card  and  formatted to MS-DOS (FAT) on my Mac. I then managed to format it again properly in a Nikon camera.

16 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I suppose he means just deleting visible files, that is different than formatting.

Maybe but I am under the impression from what Alan says that after his initial formatting there is nothing on the card. 

Edited by MDM

As the card was fully functional before being formatted, it should be able to function as an attached drive on the computer. Perhaps add some files of a type the camera would recognize, then see if it will perform a format. But that is a long shot.

If all else fails, you could possibly keep the card as a computer drive for transferring files or backup. I use an old CF card as storage for a digital photo frame: I know you want to keep using it in the camera, but it seems a pity to throw away an otherwise functional item of storage.

On 19/10/2023 at 10:03, Inchiquin said:

Any ideas?

a. call Canon tech support
b. call CF card tech support
c. put card in camera, turn camera off, take out battery,
put battery back in, turn camera on, attempt format
d. if camera format menu has other choices, try them
e. camera + CF card to computer via cable, try to enter CF card via computer
f. reboot computer whilst doing (e)
now I'm tits up...
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

c. put card in camera, turn camera off, take out battery,
put battery back in, turn camera on, attempt format

You may be tits up Jeff, but you're a genius! The suggestion above worked and now I have a usable card. Many thanks.

Alan

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5