DACS claim Part 1 - URLs?

M.Chapman

Question

Just started preparing my Part 1 DACS Claim for last year (Publication history ISBNs, ISSNs and URLs)

As I understand it I can submit the following

1) ISBNs for any UK Books my images have been published in

2) ISSNs for any UK Magazines my images have been published in

3) URLS (Domain name only) for any UK websites that have published my images

The first 2 are straightforward (I don't have too many books and magazines that I've found usages in), but the 3rd category is much larger. Presumably in the third category we can include any online newspapers that have used our images? What about UK travel websites, UK business websites etc, etc.?

Mark

I don't think that newspapers count. BBC website does.

Nonetheless I did enter UK newspapers last year just didn't put too much effort into it.

One consequence of the DACS process being much earlier is that sales towards the end of 2022 may well not be reported yet.

Edited by geogphotos

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Probably a dumb question, but do e-books published in the UK count for Part 1?

I think not...

I include them. No idea if there has been any benefit from doing so. If the system accepts the ISBN/ISSN then it is included. Sometimes the publication is not recognised byt, possibly a new feature this year, you can enter it anyway.

29 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I include them. No idea if there has been any benefit from doing so. If the system accepts the ISBN/ISSN then it is included. Sometimes the publication is not recognised byt, possibly a new feature this year, you can enter it anyway.

Thanks, Ian. There's nothing to lose, I suppose.

I've just tried a Guardian URL and I get a "This Publication already exists on your claim" error, which of course it isn't being a newspaper. Same with one from the Times. I think these are being excluded even though the error description isn't correct..

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I've just tried a Guardian URL and I get a "This Publication already exists on your claim" error, which of course it isn't being a newspaper. Same with one from the Times. I think these are being excluded even though the error description isn't correct..

That is telling you that the domain name exists in your submission already. You can increase the number of images for that domain (you can edit) - but as you say newspapers are not eligible so there is not much point. 

I don't think the system is advanced enough to filter out ineligible domains.

Edited by geogphotos

As this is the first year I have claimed URL's   I asked the question, "How far back can we go for URL claims?"

The reply is that we can retrospectively claim with no limit on how far back we can go.

Allan

I decided to contact DACS directly to see what they say.

I asked

"My work appears on hundreds of UK websites, for example;
  • Online versions of UK newspapers
  • Online versions UK magazines
  • UK Holiday and Travel websites
  • UK Garden/plant supply websites
  • Estate agents websites (photos of the locality)
  • Small UK business websites
Which types of UK websites can/should be included in my DACS part 1 claim?"

They replied

"Thank you for getting in touch. 

You can include all of the websites listed below [a copy of my email was included below] as URLs in your Part 1 claim as long as they include your images. 

You will just need to include the high-level URL for each site that your images are included on (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk) and the number of images that are used across that site. It is totally fine if you use an estimated figure for the number of images included as long as this is not inflated." 

Mmmm... It will be a lot of work to enter all my URLs these so I'm going to get back to DACS to ask for more details on how URL cashback is allocated.

e.g. Is there some sort of matching process between the domains names we enter and the domains their end users say they've copied from? Or is some other method used? What I don't want to do is spend ages entering URLS from sites that are very unlikely be copied or matched.

Nevertheless, it looks to me like it should be worth including UK Newspaper websites as there aren't too many of them and they have numerous usages.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 4

On the topic I would need some clarification.
How do I check if the website is British? The sites, for the most part have the extension .com - 
For the purpose of evaluation and inclusion in part 1. must they be sites with .uk extension?
I give an example: lonely planet....? Can I take that into consideration?
As for books, do I need to verify the publisher? 
Thank you
lorenza

4 hours ago, lorenza said:

How do I check if the website is British? The sites, for the most part have the extension .com - 

If the site isn't .co.uk I usually check on www.whois.com and look the domain name up and check their registration details.

As for books, do I need to verify the publisher? 

No, for books for DACS you just need to enter the ISBN, but you do need to check it's a UK publication.

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

If the site isn't .co.uk I usually check on www.whois.com and look the domain name up and check their registration details.

No, for books for DACS you just need to enter the ISBN, but you do need to check it's a UK publication.

Mark

Thank you very much Mark!!!!
Another question. If I don't have magazines or TV, I still have to fill in part 2 (it's a passage I can't interpret)
A greeting and thanks again

lorenza

1 hour ago, lorenza said:

Thank you very much Mark!!!!
Another question. If I don't have magazines or TV, I still have to fill in part 2 (it's a passage I can't interpret)
A greeting and thanks again

lorenza

Lorenza,

You should check your contract to see if Alamy claims for you for Alamy sales. There was. contract change and after that date Alamy claims for all contributors who didn't opt out.

If you have other UK sales outside Alamy you can claim DACS yourself. 

• Like 1

Completing Part 1 is optional. If you want to make a DACS Claim you must include details in Part 2.

But, as Ian (Geogphotos) says, check Alamy aren't already making a DACS claim for you.

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Does this hold true for those of us who have always filed our own claims in the past?

Not so far as I'm aware. If you opted out of Alamy making DACS claims for you (when you were allowed to), then that status remains. But it seems sensible to suggest Lorenza checks this as it looks like she hasn't been claiming herself before, so may never have opted out? I let Alamy do my TV usages only.

Mark

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 17:10, John Mitchell said:

Probably a dumb question, but do e-books published in the UK count for Part 1?

I think not...

I believe the site specifically says ebooks are excluded. 

When is the due date? I checked the DACS portal sometime in December & there was no info.

Alamy does my tv only and I don't think I've had any in the UK so that makes it easy for them.

I found one UK site use at the very end of December. Hadn't found many UK sites before other than magazines. They used some trees in my back yard to show what not to do - and the comments criticized them roundly LOL. (i remained mum - British etiquette required it, I assumed)

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 1

On 30/01/2023 at 13:40, M.Chapman said:

I decided to contact DACS directly to see what they say.

I asked

"My work appears on hundreds of UK websites, for example;
  • Online versions of UK newspapers
  • Online versions UK magazines
  • UK Holiday and Travel websites
  • UK Garden/plant supply websites
  • Estate agents websites (photos of the locality)
  • Small UK business websites
Which types of UK websites can/should be included in my DACS part 1 claim?"

They replied

"Thank you for getting in touch. 

You can include all of the websites listed below [a copy of my email was included below] as URLs in your Part 1 claim as long as they include your images. 

You will just need to include the high-level URL for each site that your images are included on (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk) and the number of images that are used across that site. It is totally fine if you use an estimated figure for the number of images included as long as this is not inflated." 

Mmmm... It will be a lot of work to enter all my URLs these so I'm going to get back to DACS to ask for more details on how URL cashback is allocated.

e.g. Is there some sort of matching process between the domains names we enter and the domains their end users say they've copied from? Or is some other method used? What I don't want to do is spend ages entering URLS from sites that are very unlikely be copied or matched.

Nevertheless, it looks to me like it should be worth including UK Newspaper websites as there aren't too many of them and they have numerous usages.

Mark

Wow, I assumed since newspapers and even their Sunday magazines are excluded, that newspaper websites would be too. So glad you wrote to them & shared the reply. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Good morning to all of you ( ore 08.10 AM - Italy 🙂)
thank you very much for your intervention.
Alamy, since I started, has been crediting me with DACS amounts in October, so I assume that I agreed to let them take care of DACS, although I don't remember when I gave my assent (I assume the moment I signed the contract and started uploading my images).

🙂Lorenza

19 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

This isn't much use if all the information is redacted for privacy, as seems to be the case for the ones I've tried.

Alan