DACS claim Part 1 - URLs?

M.Chapman

Question

Just started preparing my Part 1 DACS Claim for last year (Publication history ISBNs, ISSNs and URLs)

As I understand it I can submit the following

1) ISBNs for any UK Books my images have been published in

2) ISSNs for any UK Magazines my images have been published in

3) URLS (Domain name only) for any UK websites that have published my images

The first 2 are straightforward (I don't have too many books and magazines that I've found usages in), but the 3rd category is much larger. Presumably in the third category we can include any online newspapers that have used our images? What about UK travel websites, UK business websites etc, etc.?

Mark

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The deadline for submitting DACS Part 1 is rapidly approaching. As usual, I've been able to unearth virtually no new ISBN's, ISSN's, and UK URL's. Does anyone have any last-minute advice / tips for those of us residing on the other side of the planet? 🌎 

The Readly app found 8 magazine uses for me. Copytrack found some. Google credit search found some. The Alamy "Found images" thread found some. In my case, the key has been using pseudonyms that are a single unique made up word that didn't exist on the internet when I created them so the number of false hits in searches is really low.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The deadline for submitting DACS Part 1 is rapidly approaching. As usual, I've been able to unearth virtually no new ISBN's, ISSN's, and UK URL's. Does anyone have any last-minute advice / tips for those of us residing on the other side of the planet? 🌎

I just searched on Readly.com and found "John Mitchell / Alamy" credits in Bird Watching Magazine 18th Nov 2020 and in Lonely Planet Traveller Magazine 5th July 2018. If you need more details I'll be back on the forum this evening and maybe able to identify the pictures the credits are for.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I just searched on Readly.com and found "John Mitchell / Alamy" credits in Bird Watching Magazine 18th Nov 2020 and in Lonely Planet Traveller Magazine 5th July 2018. If you need more details I'll be back on the forum this evening and maybe able to identify the pictures the credits are for.

Mark

Thank you for highlighting the Readly.com app. I've just signed up for the free first month (though you do need to give them payment details and then remember to cancel if you don't want to continue).  I used the search function and found a handful of magazine uses from previous years which I'd not previously been able to assign to the actual title/ISSN. It's too late for my DACS submission this year, but I'll update my records and included the ISSN's next year.

The success or failure depends, of course, on the photos being properly credited. It would be REALLY helpful if one could search the database by actual image...perhaps one day.

I tried searching for "John Mitchell / Alamy" but didn't get any returns on it. I may be doing something wrong so I'l be interested to hear how you go about using the Readly search facility.

At £10 per month Readly is quite expensive for just discovering half a dozen magazine uses, but as it gives access to a multitude of published glossy consumer magazines, including a good range of photographic titles, it may be worth having anyway. I'll see how it goes this year.

5 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I tried searching for "John Mitchell / Alamy" but didn't get any returns on it. I may be doing something wrong so I'l be interested to hear how you go about using the Readly search facility.

That's strange. I get same results for a search for John Mitchell / Alamy using the Readly app on my iPad or in a browser. Here's my search URL

https://go.readly.com/search/go/search/context/search_results?origin=GB&language=&safe=false&categories=&q=John+Mitchell+%2F+Alamy

You'll need to be logged in to your Readly account for this link to work.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

That's strange. I get same results for a search for John Mitchell / Alamy using the Readly app on my iPad or in a browser. Here's my search URL

https://go.readly.com/search/go/search/context/search_results?origin=GB&language=&safe=false&categories=&q=John+Mitchell+%2F+Alamy

You may need to be logged in to your Readly account for this to work.

Mark

Ah. Light dawns. I was enclosing the search string in double quotes and it didn't return anything. Without the quotes it was OK. However, when I tried it again with the quotes, it still came up with the correct results.

Puzzling, but I'm busy cooking tea and don't have time to puzzle it out just now. Thanks for the guidance.

9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Thanks very much, Joseph. I already had the Bird Watching Magazine use on my list but not LP Traveller Magazine. Is it -- or was it -- considered to be a UK magazine? Nervy of me to ask, but is there anything for "JSMimages / Alamy" or "JSM Design / Alamy" on Readly? Looks like you can sign up for a free trial with Readly. Is that what you did?

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks very much, Joseph. I already had the Bird Watching Magazine use on my list but not LP Traveller Magazine. Is it -- or was it -- considered to be a UK magazine? Nervy of me to ask, but is there anything for "JSMimages / Alamy" or "JSM Design / Alamy" on Readly? Looks like you can sign up for a free trial with Readly. Is that what you did?

It's Mark not Joseph.

Yes there are 2 hits for JSMImages, but none for JSM Design

I signed up with Readly because it allowed me to cancel my print subscriptions to a couple of magazines, making it effectively free for me.

If you need screenshots of the hits I've mentioned let me know and I'll post online.

Mark

• Love 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Hello John, Yes I did sign up for the free month. It looks like it should be easy enough to cancel before the trial expires by selecting the cancellation option in my account settings. However, I might keep the subscription for a while to see if I make use of it. The range of magazines it gives access to is very wide ranging and includes my interests in  heritage railways, photography and bird watching. In fact, in reality, far too much for me to consume, so we will see how we go.

I'm still not sure how useful the search function is. It has found half a dozen uses from 2018-2021 for me, but none of those I sold in 2022 . Searching for 'Alamy' alone doesn't throw up the thousands of results on might expect. As far as I can see the database concentrates mostly on consumer type magazines so trade and technical publications will get missed. It also includes some newspapers, though not those behind a paywall.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

It's Mark not Joseph.

Yes there are 2 hits for JSMImages, but none for JSM Design

I signed up with Readly because it allowed me to cancel my print subscriptions to a couple of magazines, making it effectively free for me.

If you need screenshots of the hits I've mentioned let me know and I'll post online.

Mark

Sorry I mixed you up with Joseph, Mark. You two don't look alike at all.

I'll think about the free trial seeing as it sounds as if it's easy to cancel. I added LP Traveller to my claim just for the heck of it. Thanks again.

Wish I'd heard of Readly sooner - thanks for mentioning it.

My daughter and I got a family Apple subscription that includes Apple News  which has let me cancel all subscriptions but the NY Times, but since my husband isn't on any MAC devices (and you can't use it on a PC even with an Apple ID), I just bought him an iPad for Valentine's Day so he could take advantage of it figuring even that was cheaper than subscriptions to all the magazines & newspapers available. It will also let him share the family photo album - a must with a grandchild. I'm also hoping it will convince him to just go with the NY Time digital subscription which would save us a lot. I see Readly has Android & Apple versions - I really hate Apple sometimes but am wedded to their ecosystem at this point. We opted for the Apple family package (TV & Music) because they've cut off access to all your purchased music otherwise and my backup drive with years of stuff died but I figured it was all accessible online. It's nice that they let you do the shared family thing with up to 6 people I think but only if you're Mac users. 

Anyway, Readly sounds good but I'd be sure to forget to cancel. I already submitted my DACS part 1 last week, but maybe I'll check it out in April to see if I find a few more books and magazines. Even when I search for UK websites & magazines, if a magazine has both US and UK versions, it kicks me over to the US version.