Camera quality rejection

Phillip

Question

I have a Panasonic Lumix fz2500, and all the pictures I try to upload, get rejected because of camera quality.

I shoot in RAW and convert to JPEG, do I need to upgrade my camera or is there something I am not doing?

My view is that if you want to make a serious attempt at being a stock photographer then you need to use the right tools - proper camera, software etc

Fiddling around using marginal equipment hoping to scrape by is, in my opinion, the wrong approach to take and will lead to disappointment and false starts.

Set yourself up with camera and lens/lenses that enable you to feel confident that you can hold your own and can supply professional quality images. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 7

Image stabilization -- use a tripod or flash.   I kinda think that image stabilization is one more thing to go wrong with a camera.   With either the Sony a6000 or the a7, don't try wiggling a lens on the body to see if the mount is okay more than once.   Used one may need a Tough Mount because of someone creating the problem when testing for it.  My a6000 had been fine; bought new.  My first a7, bought used, had that problem (put on a Tough Mount); my second a7, bought new when the model was significantly reduced, didn't have the problem and still doesn't.   I've used a Nikon 105mm f/2.5 with an adapter on both.   Going up to the a7 II, you get image stabilization and a theoretically better lens mount.  Might be worth it, but the sensor is still the same. 

The nearest feel in hand to the a7 of my earlier cameras was the Nikon D50.   If you have a tablet or a phone, you can use that as a remote viewing and control device. 

Both are 24 MP cameras.

If I replace my a6000, it will be with an a6400, which also doesn't have image stabilization.   I do have some image stabilized lenses. 

We've got some Fuji shooters here, too, who might have recommendations for those.  

On 07/12/2022 at 01:37, Phillip said:

I have a Panasonic Lumix fz2500, and all the pictures I try to upload, get rejected because of camera quality.

I shoot in RAW and convert to JPEG, do I need to upgrade my camera or is there something I am not doing?

Phillip, sorry, I agree with Alamy, Panasonic 2500 is a bad choice, designed for video capture. Images are soft, lack of contrast like with cheapest Sigma lenses, bad colour reproduction. Bad choice for stock photography. Go on dpreview and compare it with Canon 700d.

If you still can't get why you have automatic rejections, here is a page which can help you understand that: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz2500-fz2000/7

Set 2500 next to canon 700d with stock lens. 

Pav

Edited by Pav
  • Like 2

I'm with MDM. I think careful technique and processing might get you through QC, unless there IS still a blacklist and Alamy are excluding your images based on the metadata, which contains the camera type. What does your rejection message actually say?

The corners are quite bad with CA but that might even be treatable in RAW- Lightroom deals with it quite well. You have no control over the in-camera jpeg conversion.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

To clarify, I meant that I think the OP should learn digital photography before he even thinks about submitting anything to Alamy or anywhere else.  In other words learn digital photography and then think about selling images. I emphasise digital as he has done some photography in the past, including darkroom work. In the first place he needs to learn how to process images on a computer, not in-camera (he says he shoots raw and processes the images in-camera). I meant that his current camera should be fine for the purpose of learning the basics of digital photography given that his budget is tight. it is not what one would recommend but it should suffice for now. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I meant that his current camera should be fine for the purpose of learning the basics of digital photography given that his budget is tight. it is not what one would recommend but it should suffice for now. 

Edited 1 hour ago by MDM

He needs to find software that will work with that Panasonic Lumix Camera.  

43 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

He needs to find software that will work with that Panasonic Lumix Camera.  

I believe SilkyPix SE is free for Panasonic Users and can develop the RAW files. That being said, looking at the FZ2000 test image on DPReview, that level of lens CA will be a pain if trying to meet Alamy QC. I downloaded the RAW image into PS ACR but had to use defringinging and then downsize to 3000x2000 to get to the standard needed for QC, and that's just at one focal length.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

On 10/12/2022 at 07:36, Pav said:

Phillip, sorry, I agree with Alamy, Panasonic 2500 is a bad choice, designed for video capture. Images are soft, lack of contrast like with cheapest Sigma lenses, bad colour reproduction. Bad choice for stock photography. Go on dpreview and compare it with Canon 700d.

If you still can't get why you have automatic rejections, here is a page which can help you understand that: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz2500-fz2000/7

Pav

So I am now learning, how ever when I first bought this camera, it was not my intention to shot stock. I had been out of photography for a long time and previously on shot film, like Kodachrome 25 and 64. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I believe SilkyPix SE is free for Panasonic Users and can develop the RAW files. That being said, looking at the FZ2000 test image on DPReview, that level of lens CA will be a pain if trying to meet Alamy QC. I downloaded the RAW image into PS ACR but had to use defringinging and then downsize to 3000x2000 to get to the standard needed for QC, and that's just at one focal length.

Mark

Yes I am starting to use Silky Pix, so my learning is off the scale at present.

7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I think it would be sensible to set your standards quite a bit higher than simply being able to pass Alamy QC if everything goes well. 

I look at other peoples work and wonder how they did that, what was it that they did that worked, ect. Where I will end up I don't know but I am just enjoying the journey I have started to undertake.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

Yes I am starting to use Silky Pix, so my learning is off the scale at present.

I am amazed, with images that I thought were in focus, and yes I did enlarge them and. I do have a separate large screen monitor, with silky pix and I can see that they weren't in. focus. 

On 08/12/2022 at 02:36, Rebecca Ore said:

Depending on your budget, there are some completely acceptable older cameras that have passed QC when I've submitted photos from them: Nikon D300, first generation Sony a7 and Sony a6000, and carefully selected shots from a Nikon D50.   The Sony a6000 has several users with portfolios on Alamy.   Micro 43rds cameras can do the job, but not all shots from my Panasonic GF1 would pass.  

From what I understand, the Sony A6000 with an adapter will take the SLR lens that I have. I have a tamron zoom to 200 and 28 wide angle, that I used a fair bit.

Edited by Phillip
more information

From what I understand, the Sony A6000 with an adapter will take the SLR lens that I have. I have a tamron zoom to 200 and 28 wide angle, that I used a fair bit.

Although the Sony A6000 is OK, in my experience a Tamron 28-200 lens is unlikely to meet Alamy QC standards (even the SP version).

"10x" zoom lenses capable of meeting Alamy standards are few and far between. My Lumix 14-140 just about makes it, but I routinely have to downsize my images to 9MP or even 6MP before submission. If you've got some prime lenses or 3x zooms they will stand a much better chance of meeting QC

Mark

4 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Although the Sony A6000 is OK, in my experience a Tamron 28-200 lens is unlikely to meet Alamy QC standards (even the SP version).

"10x" zoom lenses capable of meeting Alamy standards are few and far between. My Lumix 14-140 just about makes it, but I routinely have to downsize my images to 9MP or even 6MP before submission. If you've got some prime lenses or 3x zooms they will stand a much better chance of meeting QC

Mark

The wide angle is a prime, the Tamron if I recall correctly is either 70 or 80 to 200. I have it somewhere but can't find it at present.

9 hours ago, Phillip said:

I look at other peoples work and wonder how they did that, what was it that they did that worked, ect. Where I will end up I don't know but I am just enjoying the journey I have started to undertake.

You will be amazed by how much control you have when processing RAW files in Adobe Camera Raw. Just using the 'Auto' option to make a start often does wonders for an image. Then you have all sorts of sliders and other correction controls. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 00:56, Phillip said:

So I am now learning, how ever when I first bought this camera, it was not my intention to shot stock. I had been out of photography for a long time and previously on shot film, like Kodachrome 25 and 64. 

Hi Phillip,

If you still want to play this game - search options for used leading brands - 1 or 2 digit's Canon, like 5D Mark II or III, 70D, Nikon 5300 or 7100. Ask before shopping specific model. 5-8 year's old D-SLR cameras still keep the quality. Cost is low and you would avoid disappointment. In the UK that could be +/- £200 plus a lens. The learning curve is really quick, then after some time - sit, reflect and you have 2 options - better camera or screen calibrator + better software or both. Don't forget, on Alamy only you can search 200m+ images, if you expect a revenue - that would keep

you really busy, I'm not joking! 

Edit: 300m+ images on Alamy.

Good luck!

Pav

Edited by Pav
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phillip said:

The wide angle is a prime, the Tamron if I recall correctly is either 70 or 80 to 200. I have it somewhere but can't find it at present.

Although it's tempting to try to use old film-era lenses, you may be on a hiding to nothing as the crop factor (as you're not using full-frame) will make the lenses effectively rather long.

Your 28 (is it a 28?) will have the FoV of a 50 on APS-C and the 70-200 more like 100-300. They can also be problematic in terms of resolution for some reason, although I do use a late film Tamron 90 macro which is as sharp as tacks. There may also be a loss of automation.

Even with adapters I predict neither of these will be your most-used lens. Better to start from scratch.

But first, as suggested, use what you have as a learning tool. Many of us did that before moving on to DSLRs.

Even if that means you can't get images up here, you're not missing much in terms of revenue.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Phillip said:

With adaptors, any Sony Alpha series mirrorless camera will take a range of DSLR lenses, but you won't have auto focus or auto aperture adjustment with one possible exception.   Worry about finding the best used camera rather than focusing on one model.  The mount is the same for a6### and a7 # cameras.  Buying a body with a lens may be better than using your Tamron.  For the a6000, a 24mm lens is the equivalent of a 35mm lens on an a7 model.

Having a Sony will allow you to use the Capture One Express program for Sony cameras, which is closer to other photo editing programs than the Panasonic freebee.  

On 10/12/2022 at 07:36, Pav said:

Pav

I played around shooting some video with this camera and have some footage that I think is reasonably good, but sadly Alamy does not seem to have a portal to submit video at present

I would like to thank everyone for their feedback as this is a great learning curve for me.

One of the issues, is not knowing what I need to learn. So how do I know what I need to study?

It sounds like others have been down a similar path, and I am finding out what works for me to develop my knowledge and skills. Making money at present is not a big goal. My major goal is building my portfolio as well as improving my skills. I am stunned by what is now possible to do.

From my film days, I sadly do not have model releases for the pictures that I have so I can't use them. Mostly portraits. 

I would like to thank everyone for their feedback as this is a great learning curve for me.

One of the issues, is not knowing what I need to learn. So how do I know what I need to study?

It sounds like others have been down a similar path, and I am finding out what works for me to develop my knowledge and skills. Making money at present is not a big goal. My major goal is building my portfolio as well as improving my skills. I am stunned by what is now possible to do.

From my film days, I sadly do not have model releases for the pictures that I have so I can't use them. Mostly portraits. 

The very first thing you need to think about is what sort of photography you want to do as that will very strongly determine what camera gear you need to invest in: landscape, architecture, wildlife, macro, portraiture, still life, sports etc etc. Ignore all recommendations and make an informed decision based on that. You can definitely get help here on that  but there is no point in people recommending stuff without having any idea of what you want to do. If you want to do any type of action or wildlife photography, you will need very different gear to what you would need for landscape or architecture. 

The second thing you need to do is learn how to process images on a computer. Given your former darkroom experience you may even want to print your own images. Again you can get advice here on that. 

Importantly modern photography requires a basic initial investment but is cheap after that as you don't have to buy any materials (unless you decide to print your own images).

As far as learning goes, do you learn best from books, videos or direct instruction? Personally I like structured learning rather than looking at random videos on YouTube but have always been self taught.

Finally, forget completely about selling anything for the forseeable future. The rewards now are likely to be very disappointing anyway. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, MDM said:

As far as learning goes, do you learn best from books, videos or direct instruction? Personally I like structured learning rather than looking at random videos on YouTube but have always been self taught.

Understanding your learning style is so relevent.!

On 11/12/2022 at 08:25, Phillip said:

Out of interest, I've just tried a Tamron SP 70-210 on my Sony NEX6 and there's no way it would pass QC.

Alan

• Like 2