Camera quality rejection

Phillip

Question

I have a Panasonic Lumix fz2500, and all the pictures I try to upload, get rejected because of camera quality.

I shoot in RAW and convert to JPEG, do I need to upgrade my camera or is there something I am not doing?

On 08/12/2022 at 04:15, Phillip said:

I am using the process in the camera. Occasionally I will adjust the exposure and maybe the sharpness but that is all I am doing currently. I don't currently have a computer program to edit images.

Free 30 day trial Affinity:  https://store.serif.com/get/photo-2/trial/windows/

One time lifetime license $40.99

That should tell you if it's the camera or that you aren't editing the images. If you are just taking photos and converting in camera, I don't expect many would ever pass.

#2 Alamy says: "Almost all compact cameras, fixed lens cameras – SLR-like Bridge Cameras and all mobile phones cannot produce images that meet our guidelines" if the editing software doesn't create images that pass, with that camera, get a better camera that will. In other words, if the camera isn't on their approved list, you'll need to fix that.

Good Luck

Just as a side note and someone else said T4i, I have used a t2i that I carry on travel, 10-D, 20-D, 40-D and 50-D and EOS-M. They not only pass, but they also sell. You should be able to find a very good used camera that will meet the standards of Alamy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Klinger said:

Free 30 day trial Affinity:  https://store.serif.com/get/photo-2/trial/windows/

One time lifetime license $40.99

That should tell you if it's the camera or that you aren't editing the images. If you are just taking photos and converting in camera, I don't expect many would ever pass.

#2 Alamy says: "Almost all compact cameras, fixed lens cameras – SLR-like Bridge Cameras and all mobile phones cannot produce images that meet our guidelines" if the editing software doesn't create images that pass, with that camera, get a better camera that will. In other words, if the camera isn't on their approved list, you'll need to fix that.

Good Luck

Just as a side note and someone else said T4i, I have used a t2i that I carry on travel, 10-D, 20-D, 40-D and 50-D and EOS-M. They not only pass, but they also sell. You should be able to find a very good used camera that will meet the standards of Alamy.

I am looking at the second-hand market at present, the difficulty is deciding what to buy, but it won't be until after Xmas anyway

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Out of interest, I've just tried a Tamron SP 70-210 on my Sony NEX6 and there's no way it would pass QC.

Alan

Thanks for that, I think that is the lens I have. It was just a thought if any of my older equipment would work.

I have been using silky pix to convert raw, plus I have been enlarging photo's, it seems to be a bit, hit and miss with the focussing. Some things are crystal sharp and others especially telephoto when seen at 200% or 400% are a little blurry. Even when shot at a high shutter speed.

2 hours ago, Phillip said:

especially telephoto when seen at 200% or 400% are a little blurry.

You only have to pass QC at 100%, but you can't expect a fixed-lens camera to be sharp at telephoto.

Even when shot at a high shutter speed.

If it's not camera shake, it's inherent unsharpness.

Evidently this camera will not get you through QC reliably.

Incidentally, whoever it is, giving me a Red Arrow doesn't change that fact.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 4

On 07/12/2022 at 15:36, Rebecca Ore said:

Depending on your budget, there are some completely acceptable older cameras that have passed QC when I've submitted photos from them: Nikon D300, first generation Sony a7 and Sony a6000, and carefully selected shots from a Nikon D50.   The Sony a6000 has several users with portfolios on Alamy.   Micro 43rds cameras can do the job, but not all shots from my Panasonic GF1 would pass.  

I've yet to find a DSLR (APS-C and FF sensor sizes tested) that has a universal Alamy ban, and I've submitted photos from some absolute dogs. A really old Sony SLT and the original Canon 1Ds spring to mind. It is possible to work with this old kit as long as it produces large enough images and you basically stay below ISO 400. Some at this stage should be considered more or less tripod only cameras. I suspect that some of the newer bridge cameras (particularly with larger sensors) that Alamy won't accept images from will actually produce images that are technically acceptable, but for operational reasons they decide on a blanket ban. Such is life.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cal said:

I suspect that some of the newer bridge cameras (particularly with larger sensors) that Alamy won't accept images from will actually produce images that are technically acceptable, but for operational reasons they decide on a blanket ban. Such is life.

Some small Sony cameras with one inch sensors seem to pass often enough in skilled hands.  They're fixed zoom cameras and very tiny. 

20 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You only have to pass QC at 100%, but you can't expect a fixed-lens camera to be sharp at telephoto.

If it's not camera shake, it's inherent unsharpness.

Evidently this camera will not get you through QC reliably.

Incidentally, whoever it is, giving me a Red Arrow doesn't change that fact.

I have finally given up on this camera, and I am looking next year at something 2nd hand. I should add today I did some tests and had the camera on a tripod, it was very windy and I could see there was movement of the subject. 

Edited by Phillip
  • Like 3

On 09/12/2022 at 13:39, Brian Yarvin said:

Phillip, while I can't tell you what's wrong without seeing images, I can guess from long experience that this is your problem. Process a few raws in ACR, On1, or even Capture 1 using recommended Alamy settings and see if this doesn't solve the problem. 

I tried inserting what I have at Adobe but the URL does not look like it is accepted.

15 minutes ago, sooth said:

the images on adobe, are they high resolution, or are they the same low resolution sample images that are shown to prospective buyers?  if its the latter, don't bother.  you need to upload a crop of a high resolution image to a place like flickr if you have an acct, or to a temporarly image hosting site like imgbb dot com (this one has an autodelete option from 5 min to forever.)

also what was the original rejection message for your submission? was it "digital camera not suitable for alamy", "soft due to size", "soft or lacking definition" or ??

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-qc-failure-reasons.pdf

If I recall correctly it was that the images were not of high enough quality. I have been shooting in RAW and doing the conversion with silky pics.

On 14/12/2022 at 13:15, Cal said:

I've yet to find a DSLR (APS-C and FF sensor sizes tested) that has a universal Alamy ban, and I've submitted photos from some absolute dogs. A really old Sony SLT and the original Canon 1Ds spring to mind. It is possible to work with this old kit as long as it produces large enough images and you basically stay below ISO 400. Some at this stage should be considered more or less tripod only cameras. I suspect that some of the newer bridge cameras (particularly with larger sensors) that Alamy won't accept images from will actually produce images that are technically acceptable, but for operational reasons they decide on a blanket ban. Such is life.

Fits my experience. ✔️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Fits my experience. ✔️

I have been looking at the second hand market and I think I have found some that are in good enough condition, but sadly bloody Christmas is only just around the corner.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2022 at 13:15, Cal said:

I've yet to find a DSLR (APS-C and FF sensor sizes tested) that has a universal Alamy ban,

It's the glass that's definitive on an SLR, and I've only ever had kit zooms until I got the Tamron macro for a present, and the pix are so sharp they make my eyes bleed. But none of that's for Alamy so far.  Mind you, nor is anything. I've submitted 39 images this year, of which, archive aside, 9 were taken in 2022.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It's the glass that's definitive on an SLR, and I've only ever had kit zooms until I got the Tamron macro for a present, and the pix are so sharp they make my eyes bleed. But none of that's for Alamy so far.  Mind you, nor is anything. I've submitted 39 images this year, of which, archive aside, 9 were taken in 2022.

It might be worth throwing in "toyota tercel" as a keyword on 2JKAWG9, as I believe the gold car was known as a tercel in other markets. Regarding what it's called over here, it may be a specific variant of that car but I keep seeing it referred to as the sprinter carib 4WD, so may also be worth adding "carib".

• Thanks 1

On 15/12/2022 at 11:31, Rebecca Ore said:

Some small Sony cameras with one inch sensors seem to pass often enough in skilled hands.  They're fixed zoom cameras and very tiny. 

Managed to score a Sony A6000 in mint condition cheaply, now all I have to is learn how to drive it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phillip said:

Managed to score a Sony A6000 in mint condition cheaply, now all I have to is learn how to drive it.

Amazon has a couple of books on the Sony a6000 if I'm remembering correctly.   Also, some info on line about setting it up to suit you (assigning function buttons and assigning maximum ISO etc.).  A black barrel 18-55mm lens is useful if the camera doesn't come with the other kit lens.  The little 30mm silver barreled macro is cheap and useful.   The best a6000 lens that I've used is the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 (more or less equivalent to a 35mm on full frame in angle of view, but not cheap.  55-210 zoom is another useful and relatively cheaper lens, often available used.   These are all for crop frame a6### series cameras. 

I tend to live on aperture priority and let the camera pick the shutter speed and ISO.   Check to see if the camera body has all its firmware updates -- should be 3.21.   This is under the toolbox icon at the far right on the menu (push menu button), Version.   Camera icon on the far left of the menu -- set to Raw or Raw plus Jpeg for quality.  

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Amazon has a couple of books on the Sony a6000 if I'm remembering correctly.   Also, some info on line about setting it up to suit you (assigning function buttons and assigning maximum ISO etc.).  A black barrel 18-55mm lens is useful if the camera doesn't come with the other kit lens.  The little 30mm silver barreled macro is cheap and useful.   The best a6000 lens that I've used is the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 (more or less equivalent to a 35mm on full frame in angle of view, but not cheap.  55-210 zoom is another useful and relatively cheaper lens, often available used.   These are all for crop frame a6### series cameras. 

I tend to live on aperture priority and let the camera pick the shutter speed and ISO.   Check to see if the camera body has all its firmware updates -- should be 3.21.   This is under the toolbox icon at the far right on the menu (push menu button), Version.   Camera icon on the far left of the menu -- set to Raw or Raw plus Jpeg for quality.  

It came with the kit lens. I like aperture priority although I tend to set my ISO low and shot in RAW.. As luck would have it a 55-210 is available and I have made enquiries and should have it by the end of the day if it is still available. Thanks about the firm ware, learning to drive different cameras is a little bit of a challange. Looking at getting an adaptor to suit my contax lens 

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

It came with the kit lens. I like aperture priority although I tend to set my ISO low and shot in RAW.. As luck would have it a 55-210 is available and I have made enquiries and should have it by the end of the day if it is still available. Thanks about the firm ware, learning to drive different cameras is a little bit of a challange. Looking at getting an adaptor to suit my contax lens 

I use the a6000 as my main camera and love it. Since I'm on a tight budget, I have mainly Sony kit lenses along with a couple of more expensive primes (Sony, Samyang). They are all fine for Alamy. Old "legacy" manual focus lenses also work well with the a6000 if you buy a cheap adapter. I sometimes use a couple of old manual focus Minolta prime lenses. One thing I've discovered is that there can be a big difference in quality among Sony lenses. The 16-50 kit lens that came with my a6000 was awful (probably de-centred), so I took it back. The replacement is much better. Also, my original Sony SEL 55-210, purchased about ten years ago, developed fungus, so I had to ditch it. I found a used, more recent 55-210 to replace it, and it's like a different lens -- very sharp even wide open and seemingly much better made. Caveat emptor! Hope you enjoy the a6000.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I use the a6000 as my main camera and love it. Since I'm on a tight budget, I have mainly Sony kit lenses along with a couple of more expensive primes (Sony, Samyang). They are all fine for Alamy. Old "legacy" manual focus lenses also work well with the a6000 if you buy a cheap adapter. I sometimes use a couple of old manual focus Minolta prime lenses. One thing I've discovered is that there can be a big difference in quality among Sony lenses. The 16-50 kit lens that came with my a6000 was awful (probably de-centred), so I took it back. The replacement is much better. Also, my original Sony SEL 55-210, purchased about ten years ago, developed fungus, so I had to ditch it. I found a used, more recent 55-210 to replace it, and it's like a different lens -- very sharp even wide open and seemingly much better made. Caveat emptor! Hope you enjoy the a6000.

Took a few images today and managed to upload three of them to this site. 

On 06/01/2023 at 08:01, Phillip said:

I was surprised to see that you can still buy this new in the UK, it was introduced in 2014. I'm sure it will be fine, I like the way that Sony continue to sell older variants from their range concurrently.

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I was surprised to see that you can still buy this new in the UK, it was introduced in 2014. I'm sure it will be fine, I like the way that Sony continue to sell older variants from their range concurrently.

Comparing the images between the two cameras's the Sony comes out in front of the Panasonic. They are crisper now I see why when images get rejected because of soft focus. 

On 15/12/2022 at 11:31, Rebecca Ore said:

Found my Lunasix F light meter and I have forgotten how to use it. but fortunately there is a knowledge base on YouTube and I will be reverting to old school for my light metering.

Found my Lunasix F light meter and I have forgotten how to use it. but fortunately there is a knowledge base on YouTube and I will be reverting to old school for my light metering.

I've found that the meter in my a6000 seems accurate enough with a slight correction.  Check histograms.   See what you get with the TTL metering,and if it's dark or light, adjust (mine is at plus .03).   Some folks felt my photos were a bit too dark earlier so I adjusted that. 

• Love 1