Camera quality rejection

Phillip

Question

I have a Panasonic Lumix fz2500, and all the pictures I try to upload, get rejected because of camera quality.

I shoot in RAW and convert to JPEG, do I need to upgrade my camera or is there something I am not doing?

10 hours ago, Phillip said:

Comparing the images between the two cameras's the Sony comes out in front of the Panasonic. They are crisper now I see why when images get rejected because of soft focus. 

Yes, although overall quality is always going to be a combination of the lens and the sensor (and technique) the fact that the sensor on the Sony A6000 is just over 3 times larger in terms of area than that on the Panasonic is going to give it a head start. As Rebecca has said many on here use the tiny Sony RX100 series of cameras either as a 'go anywhere' backup or sometimes as their main camera. These also have the small '1"' sensor (actually 13.8mm x 8.8mm) and a fixed zoom lens but they have to use it carefully, especially with respect to noise. The effort is well worth it because the camera is so small. Your APS-C Sony has an APS-C sensor (23.5mm x 15.6mm) and can of course take a huge number of lenses via adapters as has been mentioned above.

I've got a Lunasix F somewhere as well but it's really much quicker and easier to use the camera as a light meter just by keeping an eye on the histogram. I generally use manual settings on my Fuji and I'll just take a quick picture of the scene on what I think are the right settings and then adjust accordingly, the highlight warning is useful too, but Auto is pretty reliable these days and you've got much more room for correction if you shoot RAW. I should probably just use Aperture Priority Auto as well really, it does seem to work really well, even with manual adapted lenses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, although overall quality is always going to be a combination of the lens and the sensor (and technique) the fact that the sensor on the Sony A6000 is just over 3 times larger in terms of area than that on the Panasonic is going to give it a head start. As Rebecca has said many on here use the tiny Sony RX100 series of cameras either as a 'go anywhere' backup or sometimes as their main camera. These also have the small '1"' sensor (actually 13.8mm x 8.8mm) and a fixed zoom lens but they have to use it carefully, especially with respect to noise. The effort is well worth it because the camera is so small. Your APS-C Sony has an APS-C sensor (23.5mm x 15.6mm) and can of course take a huge number of lenses via adapters as has been mentioned above.

I've got a Lunasix F somewhere as well but it's really much quicker and easier to use the camera as a light meter just by keeping an eye on the histogram. I generally use manual settings on my Fuji and I'll just take a quick picture of the scene on what I think are the right settings and then adjust accordingly, the highlight warning is useful too, but Auto is pretty reliable these days and you've got much more room for correction if you shoot RAW. I should probably just use Aperture Priority Auto as well really, it does seem to work really well, even with manual adapted lenses.

My 50mm con tax lens has an f-stop of 0.9 and I have another couple of primes, one wide angle and another that is either 85 or 105. Fixed. Am I able to use my Metz flash with this camera?

5 hours ago, Phillip said:

My 50mm con tax lens has an f-stop of 0.9 and I have another couple of primes, one wide angle and another that is either 85 or 105. Fixed. Am I able to use my Metz flash with this camera?

Sony has a particular hot  shoe.   You have a pop-up flash that may be able to trigger a Metz regardless of its hot shoe.  Flash Mode option under the Camera Icon in the Menu.   Set the  Metz as a slave flash.

You can try the Metz in the hot shoe, but take a look at the pins inside the hot shoe and ask yourself if you're lucky.   I'd recommend just getting the Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite TTL Flash for Sony Cameras which will also work as a radio controller for some of the bigger Godox flashes.   I also have a Godox TT685S II Flash for Sony Cameras which is bigger.  I have a Nissin i40 flash, too, for Sony, which is about the size of the smaller Godox, but the Sony i40 doesn't show up on the current B&H online catalogue.

Decide if you want regular batteries or a lithium ion battery for the flashes if you buy Godox.   Advantage of battery flashes is any grocery store in any country will have batteries for them, but lithium batteries are lighter and hold larger charges.

Happy days, managed to pick up a 55-210, that had never been used for 3/4 of the price of most used lens.

Took the opportunity today to take some photo's of a river port, once used by steamboats. I hope I get a chance to submit them to Alamy and talk about being in the right place at the right time.

I heard the clip-clops of horseshoes on the bitumen and they were pulling a stagecoach. Mind you these will only be usable as editorial.

Edited by Phillip
  • Like 1