Need a new monitor, PC

Hey folks, especially Michael,

Had to upgrade my PC, going to be running a XPS DELL in 64bit OS with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB graphics card.

Looking for a 27-inch 4K monitor.  Have read reviews of the DELL U2723Q and the LENOVO P32U-10.

Would appreciate reading others thoughts.

Chuck 

52 minutes ago, Sandi said:

Hi,

Have you looked at Eizo?

https://www.eizo.com/products/flexscan/

I haven't been able to fault mine after several years use.

Sorry I'm not Michael

Sandi

Ha ha 🤣. No you’re not and you probably would not want to be but I would have suggested Eizo anyway. However, I would suggest looking at the Color Edge series, as these are designed for imaging professionals and they are the best available. If you can’t afford Eizo then look at BenQ. I am not a monitor expert and I have no experience with those Dell or Lenovo monitors at all.

I only do serious research when in the market for a new one. Image Science Melbourne (prices in Aussie dollars) have the most up to date info on professional monitors for photo editing and that is where I would look first if I was in the market. Then I would check prices where I live.  

My question for Chuck would be why 4K for photo editing. My preference is for a 2560x1440 for photo editing which allows you to keep the price down a lot compared to the equivalent 4K monitor. A 27” Eizo 2560x1440 with built-in calibrator would be my choice.

There is a recent forum thread with a long discussion with Marianne about monitors which covers a lot of the arguments. She went for an Eizo in the end. My philosophy with monitors is to buy the best you can afford as you are going to be looking at it for years to come and it is most likely the only place you will ever see your images. Why spend loads of money on cameras and lenses,  loads of energy creating images in camera and then edit them on a poor quality cheap monitor? Your images deserve more.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

I know you upload as Adobe RGB so it seems sensible to have a monitor that covers that colour space.

Eizo are certainly the 'go to' brand for photographers, pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Now BenQ have come along with a good range, I'm only given a UK page here:

https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/photographer.html

This Asus might be a candidate also, interesting that it includes an X-Rite i1 Display Pro calibrator and offers hardware calibration:

https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-pa27ucx-k/

Dell have made good monitors for photographers, at least on paper, and some of those offer hardware calibration using their own DUCCS software that also requires that you use the X-Rite i1 Display Pro, I have a 24" model from a few years ago and I'm fine with it.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000132789/dell-ultrasharp-color-calibration-software-duccs-for-up2516d-and-up2716d

Not sure that U2723Q is one of those though, not sure I like the look of that permanent blue back light but I don't know enough about it.

The Lenovo looks too new for there to be enough information about it, but on paper it looks good.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Hey thanks folks and Michael,

Unfortunately, as I expected the Eizo appears to be the best choice.  Most of the credible tech (PC mags) talk about the Dell, Lenovo and a few others.

the 4k is really not important to me, but aRGB is. 

Harry,

Have read some good things about the BenQ, Thanks.  

I miss the "good old days" when you bought a couple of Leicas and SLR, some good glass and a Blad system and you were set for life......

Chuck

• Like 2

Prices have certainly gone up in the US. $889 for a CS2420 is not cheap.

Could it be they've ramped up prices prior to black Friday?

wim

edit: I've just looked at Amazon here and retailers equivalent to B&H and the price is just under US$700 including tax. Cheapest: US$676. Things have changed.

Edited by wiskerke

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Prices have certainly gone up in the US. $889 for a CS2420 is not cheap.

Could it be they've ramped up prices prior to black Friday?

wim

edit: I've just looked at Amazon here and retailers equivalent to B&H and the price is just under US$700 including tax. Cheapest: US$676. Things have changed.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Black Friday. This was the case back in the summer when I was recommending EIzo monitors to Marianne. Normally stuff is a lot cheaper in the US than here in Europe. It is probably to do with global shortages of materials although why there should be better availability on this side of the Atlantic (if that is true) I don't know. It's even more surprising because of the strength of the dollar at the moment. Eizo have extreme QC for their high end monitors as well which no doubt contributes to shortages.

3 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Hey thanks folks and Michael,

Unfortunately, as I expected the Eizo appears to be the best choice.  Most of the credible tech (PC mags) talk about the Dell, Lenovo and a few others.

the 4k is really not important to me, but aRGB is. 

I think the tech mags are more geared to gamers and consumers. If you are talking professional monitors then the field is a lot smaller. BenQ is certainly a good option and still a lot cheaper than Eizo. There is just something about Eizo monitors. If you can afford one then buy one and if you can't then buy one anyway. 😀

33 minutes ago, MDM said:

I think the tech mags are more geared to gamers and consumers. If you are talking professional monitors then the field is a lot smaller. BenQ is certainly a good option and still a lot cheaper than Eizo. There is just something about Eizo monitors. If you can afford one then buy one and if you can't then buy one anyway. 😀

Michael,

After looking at all of my choices it is the BenQ that is looking like the best option, warrantee support.  Was looking at the BenQ PD2705Q and the Eizo EV2795

and Dell U2723QF.  All are about the same price, except that I have not had good support from DELL.

Thanks,

Chuck 

That BenQ is really a consumer monitor, not aimed at photographers. The Eizo you mention is not a photography monitor either.

I would suggest the BenQ SW270C Photographer 27" 16:9 HDR IPS Monitor which is in stock in B&H for just under $800. That is a decent price. It is wide gamut (close to 100% AdobeRGB)  and can be properly calibrated. I had the previous version and it is definitely a quality monitor.

The reason I changed from Dell to Eizo was the uniformity of the image in the Eizos. This had never been a problem with the Dell Ultrasharps until I got sudden posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) in my right eye. It had been slower in the other eye but it left both eyes with lots of new floaters. After this I could no longer determine if there were uneven parts in my image or in my monitors nor if there were dust bunnies in the sky or it was just a couple of floaters. Previously I just moved the image around a bit to see the difference, but after the sudden PVD that did not help enough. When I changed to the  Eizo ColorEdge I was able to use that trick again. However, because the evenness of the screen I didn't need to. That combined with dedicated monitor glasses gave great relief: no more eye fatigue or headaches. Before long I bought a second and now even a third Eizo (all 24s) but I ended up using only two next to each other. I now use a tablet as a second (well third) screen and walk around with that. The two older Ultrasharps are still in use at another computer that I use for other stuff like technical drawings and sometimes as a printing station.

wim

Chiming in late here. I love my Eizo monitor. The color is perfect. With a simple button I can switch from Adobe RGB to sRGB and back again. And I can make it vertical when working on vertical images.

I'm doing a lot of images that will be printed very large these days so I paid the extra $$$$ for the EIZO ColorEdge CS2731 27" 16:9 Wide Gamut IPS  It's 2K not 4K and has a super sharp and beautiful picture. 

The BenQ (in that discussion referenced above) was a close choice but it was backordered and I really needed to get a monitor so after waiting a while I decided to go with the Eizo despite the additional cost. I believe it also could be adjusted to be lower than the BenQ which, being only 4'11" was important for me with a 27" monitor, but I doubt that's a concern for you. It's the perfect size on my desk and doesn't seem overwhelmingly large like my old 27" iMac. 

Very friendly - excellent customer service. Nothing's wrong with it, but I was a little confused setting it up to work with two monitors (it showed up as the right screen when it was on the left, so moving my trackpad/mouse across two monitors didn't work right). B&H was closed so I called Eizo and a PC guy helped me figure out how to set it up with my MAC in a matter of minutes.

I've had floaters since having cataract surgery 12 years ago and I get new ones from time to time and as @Wimmentions, the Eizo is great - No more wondering why a phantom dust spot won't go away. 

Thanks again Michael,

I had planned on the DELL 2720Q and I have been trying to talk to tech at DELL for two days. Tonight, I went onto the BenQ site and chatted

with a rep who answered my questions quickly.  So BenQ SW270C it is.

Chuck

9 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Thanks again Michael,

I had planned on the DELL 2720Q and I have been trying to talk to tech at DELL for two days. Tonight, I went onto the BenQ site and chatted

with a rep who answered my questions quickly.  So BenQ SW270C it is.

Chuck

Don't mention it Chuck. Glad it helped. 

On 03/11/2022 at 01:41, Marianne said:

Chiming in late here. I love my Eizo monitor. The color is perfect. With a simple button I can switch from Adobe RGB to sRGB and back again. And I can make it vertical when working on vertical images.

I'm doing a lot of images that will be printed very large these days so I paid the extra $$$$ for the EIZO ColorEdge CS2731 27" 16:9 Wide Gamut IPS  It's 2K not 4K and has a super sharp and beautiful picture. 

The BenQ (in that discussion referenced above) was a close choice but it was backordered and I really needed to get a monitor so after waiting a while I decided to go with the Eizo despite the additional cost. I believe it also could be adjusted to be lower than the BenQ which, being only 4'11" was important for me with a 27" monitor, but I doubt that's a concern for you. It's the perfect size on my desk and doesn't seem overwhelmingly large like my old 27" iMac. 

Very friendly - excellent customer service. Nothing's wrong with it, but I was a little confused setting it up to work with two monitors (it showed up as the right screen when it was on the left, so moving my trackpad/mouse across two monitors didn't work right). B&H was closed so I called Eizo and a PC guy helped me figure out how to set it up with my MAC in a matter of minutes.

I've had floaters since having cataract surgery 12 years ago and I get new ones from time to time and as @Wimmentions, the Eizo is great - No more wondering why a phantom dust spot won't go away. 

Talking about dust spots, have you ever spent 10 mins trying to clone out a speck that was on you monitor! 

13 hours ago, Nick Hatton said:

Talking about dust spots, have you ever spent 10 mins trying to clone out a speck that was on you monitor! 

Have you ever tried to clone out a swarm of midge's?

Allan

• Love 1

23 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Have you ever tried to clone out a swarm of midge's?

Allan

I once took some nice shots in the Auvergne in France only to see during processing that  there were swarms of midge's, think I just worked on a couple. Just thinking  would sky replacement be the answer these days?

On 05/11/2022 at 03:05, Betty LaRue said:

Yes. Maybe not 10 minutes, though. But several clicks.

If I was suspicious of crud on a screen before attempting to clone it I would move the image. If the crud stayed in position I would make a note to clean it later.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick Hatton said:

I once took some nice shots in the Auvergne in France only to see during processing that  there were swarms of midge's, think I just worked on a couple. Just thinking  would sky replacement be the answer these days?

The last swarm of midges I came across was in an ancient wood near Princetown on Dartmoor. I packed up as fast as I could and left before I was eaten alive. Thankfully earlier shots were midge free.

• Like 1