Jump to content
  • 0

What is an "Affiliate charge"?


ribeiroantonio
 Share

Question

22 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
8 hours ago, ribeiroantonio said:

I have been charged an "Affiliate charge for IY02960621 Image P99160"

 

Does anyone know what is this about and why is exists? 

 

Thanks

 

Alamy affiliate program

 

A search with just the word affiliate here on this forum will get you lots of discussions and answers going back to 2017.

 

wim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

 

Alamy affiliate program

 

A search with just the word affiliate here on this forum will get you lots of discussions and answers going back to 2017.

 

wim

However still no input from Alamy of why the exponential increase of such charges since the introduction of new contract,  which in no way altered affiliates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, ribeiroantonio said:

 

I never got involved in any affiliate program. Can Alamy, please, explain?

There is no way to opt out of the Affiliate program.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 30/10/2022 at 04:35, gvallee said:

The Affiliate program is good news, these are sales we would not have made otherwise.

 

sorry but i am not convinced.   Plenty of affiliate links in general are used to thank content producers on the web even if you were going to buy the goods in first place.  I know i was assuming the big corporation was paying it out of their marketing budget not passing the cost down to their own small producers 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

assuming the big corporation was paying it out of their marketing budget not passing the cost down to their own small producers 

This^^^^^^^^^😒

 

The big guys do the most grabbing always.

 

Phil

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

@AlamyI have an "Other fees  -  Affiliate charge..." debited from my account while the image payment is still "Uncleared". 

 

Whats with that?? 

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 hours ago, Phil said:

@AlamyI have an "Other fees  -  Affiliate charge..." debited from my account while the image payment is still "Uncleared". 

 

Whats with that?? 

I wrote an email to Alamy and I received the following answer:

 

These are sales made through affiliate links.

Our affiliate program is a scheme where customers and contributors refer visitors to our site from their blog, forum or website and we pay them a share of any sales that are made.

You can find out more about this scheme and the commission split here: http://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

In line with your contract you will receive 50% of the funds Alamy receives for an affiliate sale of one of your images.

Many Thanks,

Louise

 

First: I never referred any visitor to Alamy site, because I don't have any blog, forum or website.

Secondly and most importantly: I have been charged $0.89 for Affiliate charge for IY02960621 Image P99160. On that sale, with a number that I don't recognise (P99160) I have been credited $14.90 and debited $8.94. On top of that I have been debited another $0.89 as Affiliate charge.

 

According to the email copied above "you will receive 50% of the funds Alamy receives". Sincerely, I can't find where the 50% of the funds are. Another dubious question is to know exactly what Alamy understands by "funds Alamy receives". Are the funds the total $$$ amount made with the sale(?) and in this case I should receive $7.45. or, it refers to the 60% of the Alamy commission, in which case I should receive $5.96 (my share after Alamy commission) plus $4.47 (50% of the affiliate program)? 

 

In conclusion: for a sale of $14.90 I was paid a grand total of $5.07. Alamy charged me, the CONTRIBUTOR (worker), $8.94 as Alamy commission and $089 as other fees / affiliate charge

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, ribeiroantonio said:

I wrote an email to Alamy and I received the following answer:

 

These are sales made through affiliate links.

Our affiliate program is a scheme where customers and contributors refer visitors to our site from their blog, forum or website and we pay them a share of any sales that are made.

You can find out more about this scheme and the commission split here: http://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

In line with your contract you will receive 50% of the funds Alamy receives for an affiliate sale of one of your images.

Many Thanks,

Louise

 

First: I never referred any visitor to Alamy site, because I don't have any blog, forum or website.

Secondly and most importantly: I have been charged $0.89 for Affiliate charge for IY02960621 Image P99160. On that sale, with a number that I don't recognise (P99160) I have been credited $14.90 and debited $8.94. On top of that I have been debited another $0.89 as Affiliate charge.

 

According to the email copied above "you will receive 50% of the funds Alamy receives". Sincerely, I can't find where the 50% of the funds are. Another dubious question is to know exactly what Alamy understands by "funds Alamy receives". Are the funds the total $$$ amount made with the sale(?) and in this case I should receive $7.45. or, it refers to the 60% of the Alamy commission, in which case I should receive $5.96 (my share after Alamy commission) plus $4.47 (50% of the affiliate program)? 

 

In conclusion: for a sale of $14.90 I was paid a grand total of $5.07. Alamy charged me, the CONTRIBUTOR (worker), $8.94 as Alamy commission and $089 as other fees / affiliate charge

 

 

 

You are not the one making the referral. It's a third party, via their website, not yours. They receive the affiliate fee as a reward for sending a paying customer to the Alamy site.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 29/10/2022 at 15:02, wiskerke said:

Alamy affiliate program

A search with just the word affiliate here on this forum will get you lots of discussions and answers going back to 2017.

 

Google affiliate marketing. It's been around longer than you may think.

Wikipedia.

Not so long on Alamy: only since 2017, but 13 pages of links to discussions about it on this forum alone. With many answers.

 

wim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I didn't get 50% on my recent affiliate sale. The customer paid 149.99. The affiliate got 15% or $22.50 and Alamy took 60% or $76.40. I wound up with $51. Interestingly, the Balance of Account says 51% is Alamy's share but they took 60%. I shall write Alamy.

 

Paulette

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

This was the response from Alamy....

 

"If you look at the commission table here, you can see in Alamy gold the affiliate commission spilt is 66/34. 

So, it seems like the commission split is correct. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind regards, 
Chantelle "

Alamy Commission models, rates, fees and payment

Current models

 

Alamy platinum*

 

Alamy gold

 

Alamy silver

 

Alamy Commission

 

You earn

 

Alamy Commission

 

You earn

 

Alamy Commission

You earn

 

For Content sales via Alamy Websites

50%

 

50%

 

60%

 

40%

 

80%

 

20%

 

For Content sales via our Distributors after deduction of Distributor fee or commission

60%

 

40%

 

60%

 

40%

 

80%

 

20%

 

For Novel Use Content sales

60%

 

40%

 

60%

 

40%

 

80%

 

20%

 

For Content sales via an Affiliate

57.5%

 

42.5%

 

66%

 

34%

 

83%

 

17%

 

Payment frequency – We will pay you monthly, if your Cleared Funds exceed US $50

*Applicable only to Content that is Exclusive to Alamy when qualifying criteria met.

For further details on commission models and qualifying criteria please see clause 12. Paying You & Commission

 

 

So I don't know what happened with the reply to ribelantonio. It seem totally wrong.

 

Paulette

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
23 hours ago, Phil said:

@AlamyI have an "Other fees  -  Affiliate charge..." debited from my account while the image payment is still "Uncleared". 

 

Whats with that?? 

 

My concern here is that it appears that the "Affiliate" has been credited/paid their fee prior to Alamy receiving payment for the image licensed (Uncleared). 

 

Why should an Affiliate be credited/paid their cut before Alamy receives payment (Cleared)?

 

Affiliate fees should only be credited/paid to the Affiliate and debited from contributors account subsequent to payment received by Alamy (Cleared).

Edited by Phil
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, NYCat said:

I didn't get 50% on my recent affiliate sale. The customer paid 149.99. The affiliate got 15% or $22.50 and Alamy took 60% or $76.40. I wound up with $51. Interestingly, the Balance of Account says 51% is Alamy's share but they took 60%. I shall write Alamy.

 

Paulette

 

The statement from Alamy  "you will receive 50% of the funds Alamy receives " is also incorrect, even if they had the right commission rate, as Alamy receives the Full licence amount in cases of Affiliates, there is no money between the affiliate and the customer, Alamy then sends part of what they received to the Affiliate. Yet again the front line doesn't understand the contributor agreement 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Phil said:

 

My concern here is that it appears that the "Affiliate" has been credited/paid their fee prior to Alamy receiving payment for the image licensed (Uncleared). 

 

Why should an Affiliate be credited/paid their cut before Alamy receives payment (Cleared)?

 

Affiliate fees should only be credited/paid to the Affiliate and debited from contributors account subsequent to payment received by Alamy (Cleared).

Agreed, and this is how it worked with the traditional Affiliates which are immediately reported at time of sale, but with these accounted later cases, Which again Alamy has not been upfront what they are, we get charged on our balance immediately upon accounting. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, NYCat said:

I didn't get 50% on my recent affiliate sale. The customer paid 149.99. The affiliate got 15% or $22.50 and Alamy took 60% or $76.40. I wound up with $51. Interestingly, the Balance of Account says 51% is Alamy's share but they took 60%. I shall write Alamy.

 

Paulette

 

 

Alamy's net is 51% (76.40/149.99= 51%), affiliate took 15%. But in the end Alamy took 66%, we have no control what they did with it

 

 

in the end we pay 15% of our commission to the affiliate  we are entitled to 40% we get 34%   so 6%/40% = 15%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
58 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Agreed, and this is how it worked with the traditional Affiliates which are immediately reported at time of sale, but with these accounted later cases, Which again Alamy has not been upfront what they are, we get charged on our balance immediately upon accounting. 

 

In my case  the image license Sale was approx 1 month prior to the date that the Affiliate fee debit was posted to my account. The image license Sale remains Uncleared.

 

In essence I've paid the Affiliate fee out of my pocket as the license Sale is still unpaid by the buyer - and may never Clear. Then I'd have to hassle CR to credit the fee back to my account.

 

Just debit the fee's after the Sale payment has Cleared.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 minutes ago, Phil said:

 

In my case  the image license Sale was approx 1 month prior to the date that the Affiliate fee debit was posted to my account. The image license Sale remains Uncleared.

 

In essence I've paid the Affiliate fee out of my pocket as the license Sale is still unpaid by the buyer - and may never Clear. Then I'd have to hassle CR to credit the fee back to my account.

 

Just debit the fee's after the Sale payment has Cleared.

 

These have been happening every month end since the New Agreement, though the Agreement in No way affected Affiliates, and Alamy has yet to provide Information why this is. 

 

Today I have a regular (old type) affiliate, amount is just deducted from total fee, and will not clear until my side clears.  The issue are these new Affiliates which Alamy seems to have change the accounting practice, and have also greatly increase the number of such Affiliate charges. but still silence from Alamy as to where these are from (i could speculate) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, NYCat said:

This was the response from Alamy....

 

"If you look at the commission table here, you can see in Alamy gold the affiliate commission spilt is 66/34. 

So, it seems like the commission split is correct. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind regards, 
Chantelle "

Alamy Commission models, rates, fees and payment

Current models

 

Alamy platinum*

 

Alamy gold

 

Alamy silver

 

Alamy Commission

 

You earn

 

Alamy Commission

 

You earn

 

Alamy Commission

You earn

 

For Content sales via Alamy Websites

50%

 

50%

 

60%

 

40%

 

80%

 

20%

 

For Content sales via our Distributors after deduction of Distributor fee or commission

60%

 

40%

 

60%

 

40%

 

80%

 

20%

 

For Novel Use Content sales

60%

 

40%

 

60%

 

40%

 

80%

 

20%

 

For Content sales via an Affiliate

57.5%

 

42.5%

 

66%

 

34%

 

83%

 

17%

 

Payment frequency – We will pay you monthly, if your Cleared Funds exceed US $50

*Applicable only to Content that is Exclusive to Alamy when qualifying criteria met.

For further details on commission models and qualifying criteria please see clause 12. Paying You & Commission

 

 

So I don't know what happened with the reply to ribelantonio. It seem totally wrong.

 

Paulette

 

Hi All, 

 

The commission table above is now the correct commission split for affiliate sales. Previously it was a 50% commission split however due to the commission change in July 2021, this changed the percentage contributor's receive depending on which Alamy tier they are in.  

 

Thanks, 

Alamy 

  • Dislike 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
23 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Hi All, 

 

The commission table above is now the correct commission split for affiliate sales. Previously it was a 50% commission split however due to the commission change in July 2021, this changed the percentage contributor's receive depending on which Alamy tier they are in.  

 

Thanks, 

Alamy 

 

So you are saying OP had a sale from last year that just got reported?

 

Also Should i contact CS for affiliate sales prior to July 2021 where is did not get 50% commission? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
13 hours ago, Alamy said:

Hi All, 

 

The commission table above is now the correct commission split for affiliate sales. Previously it was a 50% commission split however due to the commission change in July 2021, this changed the percentage contributor's receive depending on which Alamy tier they are in.  

 

Thanks, 

Alamy 

 

My apologies for the Administrator that wrote the quoted answer but, you people at Alamy, have to come absolutely clear about your policies. Your answer above does not match the answer I got from Louise: In line with your contract you will receive 50% of the funds Alamy receives for an affiliate sale of one of your images. This type of situation, as well as not answering to the contributors questions, lack professionalism and credibility. We, contributors, are the hard workers that make all the money generated by this site and, certainly, deserve a bit more of respect. As any game, it has three sides, the Alamy side, the Contributors side but, unfortunately, the third side called UMPIRE/REFEREE is missing. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.