Pseudonyms. useful or not?

I adopted a pseudonym when I started as I then had a proper job and was not supposed to take on other work. Now retired from that place so not a problem.

Don't, whatever you do, adopt a pseudonym that will be a regularly used search term, as that will kill your CTR.  I speak as one who made that mistake!

It's probably a good idea to have a couple, say one for editorial stuff and another for the more arty shots that might be used on calendars or within books etc. 

You might also have a dummy pseudo for deleted images as they hang around for months possibly damaging your CTR. 

Like many others, my approach is to have an 'A' pseudonym and a 'B'. My better images go in to the 'A' with a minimum of similars. Everything else in the 'B'. The hope is that the majority of zooms and sales will go against the 'A' pseudo thus improving its Alamyrank and appearing higher up in searches. As already suggested, I also have a pseudo for deletions. As you'll probably see if you keep on looking at the forum, having a good Alamyrank is important if you want to get your images seen and you shoot in a popular area. Hope this helps.

Guest Ian Murray

Having the option to use Pseudonyms is certainly useful. For example, I put all my pics of Suffolk churches into a pseudo which separated them from my other photos. 

Thankyou all. So next couple of questions - What sort of pseudonyms do you choose? Should it be related to the kind of images you want to put in under that name? And can you move images from one pseudo to another, or from your real name to one of your pseudos? Thanks.

You can move images between Pseudos freely - they'll appear in the the next working day.  You can do this as a batch move so you can move quite a few at once.  How many Pseudos and what you use them for is entirely up to you.  When I started I had quite a few , but now I just have an an 'A' and a couple of 'B's Nice and simple.

If you start a new pseudo it will be given a medium rank so be careful if you are moving from one with a high rank. An advantage though if your present pseudo has a low rank.

Pearl

I created a couple of pseudonyms for my account and placed the appropriate images in them via the "Attributes" field for each image.  The pseudonyms are showing up in the drop-down list under "Manage Images" and do include the proper images.  However, when I enter the "Your Images" summary, the pseudonyms do not show up. I suspect the images in the pseudonym have to be included in a search at least once for them to show up in the "Your Images" summary.  I want to do this correctly, any advice or guidance will be grealy appreciated.

I created a couple of pseudonyms for my account and placed the appropriate images in them via the "Attributes" field for each image.  The pseudonyms are showing up in the drop-down list under "Manage Images" and do include the proper images.  However, when I enter the "Your Images" summary, the pseudonyms do not show up. I suspect the images in the pseudonym have to be included in a search at least once for them to show up in the "Your Images" summary.  I want to do this correctly, any advice or guidance will be grealy appreciated.

Your "My Alamy" does not display the pseudonym if it has no data for that pseudonym. As you say you'll have to wait for it to have some views.

A bit off topic but, what is exactly the CTR, and why it is important? I am still newbie around here. 

Don't, whatever you do, adopt a pseudonym that will be a regularly used search term, as that will kill your CTR.  

CTR is Click Through Rate.  It is the ratio of Views (i.e. displayed to potential buyer) to Zooms (i.e. when a potential buyer clicks on the image to see a bigger view).  It is believed that CTR (at pseudo level) is used by Alamy when they calculate Alamyrank.  AlamyRank in part determines your pecking order when search results are displayed.  Obviously you can't sell unless images are presented to the customer, so a higher AlamyRank helps to get them seen and a higher CTR should help AlamyRank.  Alamy don't disclose the full make-up of AlamyRank and views vary as to how much importance they attach to CTR.  Personally, I pay attention to it as it's something I think I can influence a little.

• 2 months later...

So, if I'm using my real name, does this help or hurt?

No reason why it would hurt now that pseudos/names are not searchable in the normal search box, only through the advanced search.  Before this recent change using your own name could be a disadvantage if for instance your surname was "bridge" or "white".  That brought up lots of false hits which could damage rank.  I have always used pseudos for that reason.

Pearl

If you start a new pseudo it will be given a medium rank so be careful if you are moving from one with a high rank. An advantage though if your present pseudo has a low rank.

Pearl

This is a good point. I've never used any pseudonyms, but I've thought of setting one up for some of my images. However, at this point -- I stated uploading in 2007 -- I think that all it would do is mess with my ranking.

No reason why it would hurt now that pseudos/names are not searchable in the normal search box, only through the advanced search.  Before this recent change using your own name could be a disadvantage if for instance your surname was "bridge" or "white".  That brought up lots of false hits which could damage rank.  I have always used pseudos for that reason.

Pearl

Mickey Rooney used to show up in a search of my collection. Thank god the character Ed Rooney, the principle in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, has faded into history. Juggling pseudos seems like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic to me—a waste of time.

Pearl

Mickey Rooney used to show up in a search of my collection. Thank god the character Ed Rooney, the principle in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, has faded into history. Juggling pseudos seems like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic to me—a waste of time.

Searches of my collection inevitably brought up images of US Attorney General John Mitchell of the Nixon years. Fortunately, my infamous namesake has long since gone to his reward.

Pearl

Searches of my collection inevitably brought up images of US Attorney General John Mitchell of the Nixon years. Fortunately, my infamous namesake has long since gone to his reward.

I use my real name of John Keates but searches do sometimes come up with the poet John Keats!!

Er, John.

Archived