Help downloading images from camera

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

For some strange reason which I cannot fathom, my XQD card reader won't download images.  It starts and the light blinks but it stays on 3 out of 194 images.  It's a 64XQD card.  I just tried a few images on the 32GB XQD card and the same thing happens.  They both all show on the back of the camera.  I also tried a few images on a 64GB SD card though obviously it's a different card reader and that's absolutely fine so I'm pretty sure it's not the camera.

I find it hard to believe that 2 XQD cards would fail so I'm guessing that just leaves the XQD card reader ?  Any thoughts as to what else I can try always appreciated.  Also plugged the card reader direct into the back of the iMac.  Stuck now as to how to download ?

Thanks as always in anticipation......

Carol

25 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Hanna_Fate said:

Is there a port in your camera that allows you to connect directly to your computer?  (with card installed, of course)

That might work.

Thanks Hanna yes I'm sure there is.  Anyway I've just unplugged everything and plugged everything in again and it downloaded so not sure what went wrong.  I will definately sort out downloading from the camera though !!😁

Carol

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I've just unplugged everything and plugged everything in again

Sometimes I think that is what we need to do the the world, so much isn't working right now 🙃.   Glad you got it sorted out, that's all it takes occasionally!

14 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sometimes I think that is what we need to do the the world, so much isn't working right now 🙃.   Glad you got it sorted out, that's all it takes occasionally!

Ah thank you Michael and yes you are so right, if only we could reset things that are going wrong in the world!  I was thinking maybe a bit of dust or something in the card reader and/or I just went into panic mode !!  I will test it again anyway😉

Carol

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ah thank you Michael and yes you are so right, if only we could reset things that are going wrong in the world!  I was thinking maybe a bit of dust or something in the card reader and/or I just went into panic mode !!  I will test it again anyway😉

Carol

Card readers need some power. Some USB-C cables are not fully compliant. Sometimes turning one plug helps. I have a cable for my tablet like that right now. Aargh.

My Transcend card reader has a non removable cable plus a separate connector for power.

wim

edit: link

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Card readers need some power. Some USB-C cables are not fully compliant. Sometimes turning one plug helps. I have a cable for my tablet like that right now. Aargh.

My Transcend card reader has a non removable cable plus a separate connector for power.

wim

edit: link

Thank you Wim, I just tried it again I unplugged it from the back of the iMac jiggled the plug about a bit and it downloaded straight away.  I did jiggle it before I plugged it into the iMac, maybe not quite enough😁

Carol

Don't know what camera you are using but my Sony's all come with a "USB - Type C" cable which plugs into the usb on computer and the C plugs into the camera.

This allows charging of the battery in camera AND down loading images from card while still in camera to computer.

I have always used this system as there is less to go wrong. Click on underlined text to see picture.

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't know what camera you are using but my Sony's all come with a "USB - Type C" cable which plugs into the usb on computer and the C plugs into the camera.

This allows charging of the battery in camera AND down loading images from card while still in camera to computer.

I have always used this system as there is less to go wrong. Click on underlined text to see picture.

Allan

Many thanks Allan, mine is a Nikon and whilst I'm certain I have a cable to transfer directly from the camera, old habits die hard I guess.  I've always used card reader(s), I don't like to have the camera on my desk.  When I get home after a shoot, I do a quick review on the back of the camera, take the card(s) out and put the camera away safe and sound😀.  I only have the bare necessities on my desk I have been known to be somewhat accident prone 🙃

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
wording
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Carol, I've always been wary of ingesting images from camera's via a USB cable due to the possibly of the camera socket wearing. I much prefer a fast card reader.

My preference as well, bu against that is wear on the card mechanism on the camera. I've had the ejector jam (turned out to be a cracked card) but never had a problem with the USB socket. However that could be because it's rarely been used.

35 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

My preference as well, bu against that is wear on the card mechanism on the camera. I've had the ejector jam (turned out to be a cracked card) but never had a problem with the USB socket. However that could be because it's rarely been used.

I have been using the direct connection system for many years without a single problem.

Allan

OR multiple problems either.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
Clarification

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

Carol, I've always been wary of ingesting images from camera's via a USB cable due to the possibly of the camera socket wearing. I much prefer a fast card reader.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have been using the direct connection system for many years without a single problem.

Allan

OR multiple problems either.

ITMA

I guess it's horses for courses but yes another good point about the socket wearing.

Allan it's great that you've had no problems and long may that continue 😉  

I think we are lucky nowadays we have choices and good to know that if one method fails there is another to get us out of trouble.

Since the revamp of my office about 5 years ago I made a promise to myself to keep it pristine and clutter free.  The only things now on my desk which is quite large as the top goes from one side of the room to the other, is my iMac, a small HP desktop printer, a scanner, a router and phone.  Card readers and chargers stay in a drawer and only taken out when needed.  All wires are completely tucked away.  I do however wish there was a battery charger for my Sony RX as I would find it easier than plugging it in directly to the camera but I've got used to it now😉

Carol

22 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I guess it's horses for courses but yes another good point about the socket wearing.

Allan it's great that you've had no problems and long may that continue 😉  

I think we are lucky nowadays we have choices and good to know that if one method fails there is another to get us out of trouble.

Since the revamp of my office about 5 years ago I made a promise to myself to keep it pristine and clutter free.  The only things now on my desk which is quite large as the top goes from one side of the room to the other, is my iMac, a small HP desktop printer, a scanner, a router and phone.  Card readers and chargers stay in a drawer and only taken out when needed.  All wires are completely tucked away.  I do however wish there was a battery charger for my Sony RX as I would find it easier than plugging it in directly to the camera but I've got used to it now😉

Carol

Which RX do you have?

Allan

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Which RX do you have?

Allan

Allan it's the little RX100 Mark 1 it has a very small flap at the side that you open and plug the cable into, from memory I think you/forum helped me find this when I got it😄

I'm always very careful when opening it as I can be a bit heavy handed and surprised and happy it hasn't broken off yet😄

Carol

On 09/04/2022 at 15:22, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Allan it's the little RX100 Mark 1 it has a very small flap at the side that you open and plug the cable into, from memory I think you/forum helped me find this when I got it😄

I'm always very careful when opening it as I can be a bit heavy handed and surprised and happy it hasn't broken off yet😄

Carol

Ah yes. I still have mine too but it is relegated to the photography display cabinet. I now use the mk 3 and mk 7 versions.

I do have a battery charger which was bought with a spare battery at reasonable cost. Will fish out details if I can find them. Be back later.

Allan

HI! I'm back. Cannot find the charger I have but there is a very similar one here. Actually the one I have I have not used in ages if you would like it I will send it to you. Just send your address to    deleted

I will delete the email address in 2 hours.

Allan

Incidentally the little door you mentioned is still fully functional on my mk 1 but on the mk 3 is broken.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

I've had endless problems with successive card readers over the years. They read, then they don't read, then they read again. One gave up reading completely, only to suddenly start working again some months later.

The most reliable have been the ones where you plug a single card directly into a USB stick. I have one for SD and one for CF, but I don't know if you can get them for XQD.

Alan

27 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Ah yes. I still have mine too but it is relegated to the photography display cabinet. I now use the mk 3 and mk 7 versions.

I do have a battery charger which was bought with a spare battery at reasonable cost. Will fish out details if I can find them. Be back later.

Allan

HI! I'm back. Cannot find the charger I have but there is a very similar one here. Actually the one I have I have not used in ages if you would like it I will send it to you. Just send your address to    

I will delete the email address in 2 hours.

Allan

Incidentally the little door you mentioned is still fully functional on my mk 1 but on the mk 3 is broken.

ITMA

Many thanks Allan very much appreciated indeed.  I tried emailing you but it says email incorrect, never mind.....

I have googled and found this one also, it also comes with a spare Sony battery - I find the battery life to be excellent but really know I should get a spare, unlike me not to !

https://www.parkcameras.com/shop/sony-acctrdcx-usb-battery-kit-includes-np-bx1-and-bc-dcx_7150109j

Thought the link may be useful also for anyone else who needs it and wonder if anyone has got.....

Carol

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

That's what black electrical tape is for. Just over the cavity, not stuck to the actual socketry of course.

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks Allan very much appreciated indeed.  I tried emailing you but it says email incorrect, never mind.....

I have googled and found this one also, it also comes with a spare Sony battery - I find the battery life to be excellent but really know I should get a spare, unlike me not to !

https://www.parkcameras.com/shop/sony-acctrdcx-usb-battery-kit-includes-np-bx1-and-bc-dcx_7150109j

Thought the link may be useful also for anyone else who needs it and wonder if anyone has got.....

Carol

You did change the () words for characters I hope. (dot) = . and (at) =@ 

That one you googled still requires you to charge the battery in camera.  The one I have takes the battery then plugs into the mains while you put another fully charged battery in the camera.

I thought you wanted to charge the battery out of camera.

Allan

22 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That's what black electrical tape is for. Just over the cavity, not stuck to the actual socketry of course.

Actually it does not bother me that it is flopping loose. I would not mind if it broke off to be truthful.

Allan

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I do however wish there was a battery charger for my Sony RX as I would find it easier than plugging it in directly to the camera but I've got used to it now😉

Carol

I lost my RX100 battery charger. I took all my chargers away with me on a trip just over month ago, and haven't seen it since. Eventually I ordered 2 more batteries with a charger from Amazon last week, they work well. The charger can charge 1 or 2 batteries, and has displays showing charge status. I paid about £19.

Not sure what happened to my other post on this today but anyway I do have a dedicated XQD card reader, maybe it's gone on the blink a bit and/or maybe the card.  Anyway I've ordered another 64gb XQD card from Wex and another card reader.  As said it downloaded the 32GB card quickly as it normally does but not so the 64GB.  Anyway will see what happens when the replacements arrive in a few days.  Thank you Wim for responding although not sure where the post has gone🙃

Carol

17 hours ago, NYCat said:

I think one of my posts... in another thread... disappeared too. Nice to know it is not just my absent-mindedness. 

Paulette

Always good to know it's not just me - probably gremlins in the system !

I was just copying some folders on my iMac to external hard drive and noticed that the lead was the same as the one for the XQD card reader so I thought I would try it.  It fitted perfectly though as before the 32GB card started straight away while the 64GB did not though it did download.  I know it's a bigger card but only has about 50 images on it.  Maybe I'm just getting paranoid now🙃

Carol