Ideas on removing an unwanted lodger inside camera

Anyone got any idea how to get an unwanted visitor out of my camera?  Just picked it up to shoot and I have a spider crawling around inside. Doesn't appear in any photos and doesn't affect focus, but a little distracting having him that close to my eyeball!

If he's in focus he must be on or near the focussing screen. On a DSLR you may be able to spot him with the lens off. Then maybe give him something to crawl onto, or suck him out with a straw as a last resort (maybe a tissue or hanky your end so you don't eat him:D)

22 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

No idea. But how is a lens off the camera body long enough for a spider to walk in?

I never have my camera without a lens on, but I did leave it on a table this weekend with the rubber connector covers open, that must be how he got in.

1 hour ago, SRJUK said:

He inside the viewfinder I think, looking inside from the front I can see a shadow on the other side of the plate (with the focus dots) at the top/inside.

https://ibb.co/S6tQCbm
https://ibb.co/BKV0xrP

pics taken on mobile!

If you can see him/her on the screen from here: https://ibb.co/BKV0xrP , just pick him up or blow him out. If not he/she is walking on top of the focus screen. See that little black lever just above your screen in your image? Click it upwards and your screen will pop down in it's cradle. Take the screen out with it's dedicated clip if you have one, otherwise with a fine pair of tweezers. Some people with very nimble fingers or in a hurry get away with just using their fingers. Very clean hands help. Scratches are forever and very annoying so take care. Just blow anything off. Do not touch the matte side and try not to touch the other side either.

Here's a how-to video.

wim

edit: Do not touch: not as in never ever!

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

So I can't see him walking around today... However, there are 7 of the tiniest little deposits in there now.... I suppose I should just be happy it isn't affecting photos! 

He is likely still somewhere inside as there appears to be no way out. 

4 hours ago, SRJUK said:

So I can't see him walking around today... However, there are 7 of the tiniest little deposits in there now.... I suppose I should just be happy it isn't affecting photos! 

He is likely still somewhere inside as there appears to be no way out. 

Better hope that it's not female.

BUG!!!

wim

• 4 weeks later...

When I bought my first film SLR in about 1980, I found tiny bugs walking around, which I could see in the viewfinder.  No sensor to affect then!  The dealer suggested putting the camera in the freezer, to kill them off.  I stood my ground and insisted on a replacement, so never got to try it out, but may be worth a try if there is no other way to get rid of the spider.

Graham

5 hours ago, Graham said:

When I bought my first film SLR in about 1980, I found tiny bugs walking around, which I could see in the viewfinder.  No sensor to affect then!  The dealer suggested putting the camera in the freezer, to kill them off.  I stood my ground and insisted on a replacement, so never got to try it out, but may be worth a try if there is no other way to get rid of the spider.

Graham

Have never found any bugs, alive or dead, in a camera, although I once had ants in a backpack I set down too close the the ants nest. I have in computer equipment, but not mine. I remember massaging the LCD screens on PowerBook G3's assisting storm flies to move to the edge before dying, and blowing out all sorts of dead bugs from MacBooks. Some time back the biggest visitor I dealt with was a dead mouse that had squeezed through the fan ventilation slots on a Power Macintosh 8500 or 9500. It was electrocuted by the potential difference between 2 heatsinks, there was a hole where its stomach should have been, its stomach contents had eaten into the surface of the PCB. Certainly more interesting than camera bugs.

Edited by sb photos