Somebody kindly asked about me

geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

This is what I was up to. 

Spain trip autumn 2021 - Day 1 was mainly cloudy

https://blog.geographyphotos.com/2021/11/18/spain-trip-autumn-2021-day-1-was-mainly-cloudy/

We've taken the Santander ferry a couple of times, with the caravan. Crossing the Bay of Biscay can be an interesting experience, not in a good way, but we were lucky both times, spotting whales on one trip and dolphins on another. The north west corner of Spain is quite different to most other parts of the country that we have visited, being wetter and hence greener, there is much to like. 

Thank you for allowing us to see your blog and photos.

The following is NOT a comment on your images, which are fine and, as you say, were taken and make the best of the weather conditions.

Most of the images appear, to me and this is only me, BROWN. Alongside other images I see of Spain generally they seem to convey the message that Spain is brown and that is why I have never visited that country.

Again I will say that it is me and my observations and feelings.

Now for the reactions.

Allan

PS: Pleased to see you were ok and now back alive and kicking.

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Most of the images appear, to me and this is only me, BROWN. Alongside other images I see of Spain generally they seem to convey the message that Spain is brown and that is why I have never visited that country.

You are very much missing out by relying on such an odd criterion by which to choose your destinations! Spain's huge fun. Cheap drink too.

Incidentally, the brown parts are indeed brown- it's 'ot, yer know- the green parts, however, and I'm thinking particularly of Asturias, are quite green.

45 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You are very much missing out by relying on such an odd criterion by which to choose your destinations! Spain's huge fun. Cheap drink too.

Incidentally, the brown parts are indeed brown- it's 'ot, yer know- the green parts, however, and I'm thinking particularly of Asturias, are quite green.

Colour is not the criterion I use normally I am just saying that, to me, Spain is a brown country and for other reasons too I would not go there. Have been to other places and the one I liked most was Italy.

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Spain is a brown country

Allan

This is simply not true except in your mind Allan. There is a huge area of north-western Spain stretching from Galicia into the Basque Country (called Green Spain funnily enough) that has a temperate climate and the predominant landscape colours are certainly not brown. A  vast area of north-eastern Spain  from the Basque Country to Catalonia, which borders France and includes the Spanish Pyrenees, is also verdant, has huge areas of forest and is certainly not predominantly brown. If you check out my portfolio with search terms such as Aragon, Leon, Catalonia you will see that what I am saying is true. 

• Like 2

Spain is a vast, varied, hugely rich country. It has as many colours, flavours, and textures as you can imagine. The particular joy to me is its historic villages and towns. Settlements that did not go through the industrial revolution, massive wartime bombing, 1960s comprehensive redevelopment, and have retained their medieval nature. You don't need to seek out the tourist hotspots, just ordinary run of the mill places have much going for them. The countryside too is amazing in its variety and splendour. The people are warm, friendly, helpful. It is civilised, and everything seems easy ( transport, roads, food).

And on the trains everybody was wearing masks with a guard going around reminding them. What a contrast with the train coming back from Stansted!

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1