Source of news information

Hi,

I occasionally contribute to local news over the last few years, but most of it on the basis on me being in the right place by coincident. Rarely have I actually planned to be in a place where a newsworthy event was happening. I would like to change this and plan more visits to newsworthy public events. Can you tell me what sources of information you use to find out what newsworthy (protests, grand openings, emergency responses etc) is going to be happening in your area?

Thank you

I'd say make friends with your local police and fire services. I have a photographer friend who has done that and I can pretty much predict when I'm reading local news the pictures are by him. He is well known by his local emergency services and much respected for behaving professionally and he provides drone imagery as well.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

Hi,

I occasionally contribute to local news over the last few years, but most of it on the basis on me being in the right place by coincident. Rarely have I actually planned to be in a place where a newsworthy event was happening. I would like to change this and plan more visits to newsworthy public events. Can you tell me what sources of information you use to find out what newsworthy (protests, grand openings, emergency responses etc) is going to be happening in your area?

Thank you

Depends of your interest, I Try to find and follow local activists on Twitter.  Some searches for "XXXXX march",  "XXXXX rally" even quick "XXXX saturday" to see if anything coming up. 

That said Alamy's recent actions have reduced my current spirit in looking for these. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

That said Alamy's recent actions have reduced my current spirit in looking for these. 

I could not agree with you more. I was not aware that the 60% also applies to news images, until I got a painful surprise looking at the account balance 😕

I am re-evaluating the options, but still would like to find out what everyone uses.

Thank you

• Like 1

Just now, Pietrach said:

I could not agree with you more. I was not aware that the 60% also applies to news images, until I got a painful surprise looking at the account balance 😕

I am re-evaluating the options, but still would like to find out what everyone uses.

Thank you

yep, and then when i asked if i could get access to using Reportage as an alternative, as the cost of rushing upload made it non profitable for more non-UK based news which get more traction in that market, Alamy Contributor "Support" just denied the request, which didn't help my spirit. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

yep, and then when i asked if i could get access to using Reportage as an alternative, as the cost of rushing upload made it non profitable for more non-UK based news which get more traction in that market, Alamy Contributor "Support" just denied the request, which didn't help my spirit. 

I am not familiar with the Reportage route. What is this if you don't mind? I usually cover the news event and upload to live news within minutes using mobile phone. Why would this not be suitable for non-UK based media? 

3 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

I am not familiar with the Reportage route. What is this if you don't mind? I usually cover the news event and upload to live news within minutes using mobile phone. Why would this not be suitable for non-UK based media? 

Reportage just goes straight to Stock, no Live News Feed, with similar QC requirement to News so tougher images to get (low light), and hits the search overnight so no 2-3 days wait for searches, and no no man's land limbo.

The main issue for non UK/European based news, is that Alamy is not a major source for local news editors, so if I have an event that is unlikely to hit international News Wire, I have little need to upload in 10 minutes, but they have gotten decent fees on the Stock side, many times in next few weeks, images that were too soft for me to feel comfortable uploading through QC, 

It was also issue to help out Alamy.  LN requires more work for them, so i was trying to cooperate with them, and not force them to have to handle stories they really had little chance of selling, but now this remains my only option, so I will continue as per Their request.  

I used to only contribute to Live News before the grand cull. Then, and now with reportage,  I do the following. Follow likely organisations on Twitter, check their Facebook pages, sign up for newsletters, check their websites. I often search for nearby towns on Twitter, and sometimes expanding the search terms a little. Many marches, protests and carnivals are annual events. I put these in my diary anything up to a year in advance. If the date isn’t known, then at least the month. Search the internet with terms relating to places where protests or rallies are regularly held. Now I spend very little time in London as now the financial benefit compared to Covid risk isn’t worth it. The big cities often have multiple events every day of the week. I used to receive newsletters from London Boroughs that would often give me leads. It all takes time, but I usually rise around 5am. The effort I put into searching depends upon how much free time I have. Depending upon what I am shooting, I’ll often carry a small and light 11” MacBook Air iin my shoulder bag or backpack for quick uploads either direct, or to other angencies, but with mixed success. Reportage sells, but is far too late for news, and at stock prices. Additionally you have the same 600 characters max as with Live News. Hope you pick up more work.

Just read Kay’s mention of road closures, which reminded me I used to read TFL’s list of road closures and possible delays. That would often indicate events I had missed. I suspect Glasgow's list will be just as useful.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kay said:

Hi Pawal

I see you are in Glasgow too :)

'Glasgow live' tend to have their finger on the pulse and is worth following, and Glasgow City Council website list road closures for filming/processions/protests etc

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/forms/futureprocessions/FutureProcessions.aspx

If you have news access and are working in Glasgow and/or are there anyway weather photos of Glasgow are used almost daily . . .

Great tip, thank you

22 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

Would they really be keen on supporting direct competition?

In my experience, they did not always provide information, but sometimes they said something. I knew them before I set out on a journey of stock photography. I used to be one of them. It's probably not advice on a quick way to find out. I am sorry.

2 hours ago, Radim said:

I think it would be good to make friends with some local agency photographers

Doubt it - they won't give any info. as they're competition.

Edited by Colblimp
Typo

I wish there was an easy answer to your question, but it's largely a case of snuffling through social media for future or happening events. Pre-Covid there would often be a quantity of events on a day in London that make the journey well worth the cost, and once there you'd benefit from it being a bustling city with a high chance of ad-hoc news occurring. Now there are fewer events, saturation of photographers and the consideration of travel costs against diminishing returns. I keep an eye now more on local events in the same manner, but it really is down to being proactive.

• Like 1

Twitter and other social media are your friend. Read all the national newspapers (use Press Reader) because sometimes they have press releases about forthcoming events. Cultivate local contacts. It’s a lot of hard work; but for me it’s beginning to pay off after several years.

Twitter and travel updates works well in London although often one finds the same faces of photographers at each event.... so can be at one protest at 4pm, another at 5pm and another at 6pm and find the same faces and the same competition.

Contacting press offices at big locations such as zoos and museums useful.

• Like 1