Cleared balance not as it should be??????

Phil Robinson

Question

23 hours ago, spacecadet said:

As I said somewhere else (I can't quote where- Alamy seems to have been deleting posts) I don't think that's good enough. After all in December they had "no plans" to cut our commission. Those non-existent plans were executed (I choose the word advisedly) last week, of course.

This is nothing to do with future plans - it's quite the opposite.

When moving over to a new internal system, some older dormant code was mistakenly reinstated (many, many years ago we had some commission models with storage fees). 

This was quickly spotted, fixed and any fees were refunded. In total this affected no more than 160 contributors. 

Apologies to any of you who were left confused by this. 

Best,

James A

Head of Content

• Love 1

It's clearly an error, but I wonder if they have let the cat out of the bag and are testing something.

I smell a big fat commie rat. If we're told that there are no plans for storage fees then it will be hard to conclude that it's anything but an outright lie. This didn't come out of nowhere. It can be a mistake that it appeared now, but that's all.

I haven't had the "fee", but I'm going to take a lot of convincing not to leave before this comes in. No way is even 10c/ image/ year economic.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tim Gainey said:

Yes i realise that ..... I have just looked in my account balance and it says .... 

01 August 2021.   Image Storage Fee !!!!!

Good grief - yes that's appeared for me.

In the contract:
"Storage Fees"

means the Alamy fee per item of Content per month, or part thereof, levied in advance every month. This fee came into effect on 1 March 2003. These fees apply to the discontinued Alamy Green and Red commission schedules only.

24 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Good grief - yes that's appeared for me.

In the contract:
"Storage Fees"

means the Alamy fee per item of Content per month, or part thereof, levied in advance every month. This fee came into effect on 1 March 2003. These fees apply to the discontinued Alamy Green and Red commission schedules only.

Strange - according to my Balance of Account the submission fees ($2.00 per image) were in effect when I joined Alamy in November 2001.  The account was reset to zero and moved to 'alamy blue' on June 16 2002.

My cleared balance hasn't changed - I expect it's just another temporary glitch like we had the other day

Edit - just realised that 'Submission fees' and 'Storage fees' might be something different so ignore above.

Edited by Vincent Lowe

I can understand mistakes being made in percentages charged or a sale being wrongly ascribed as distributor or affiliate, because those things are in the system, but I wasn't aware that 'image storage fees' would be something that could even exist. The term can't have just appeared from nowhere.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

If you look at the https://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor-contract-changes.aspx for 2nd May 2002, there is the introduction of a new Image Storage Fee 

10c "Storage Fee per Image per month, or part thereof, levied in advance of the first day of the month. This charge will come into effect on 1st March 20d3"

that's PER MONTH

in the definitions listed in the current contract it clearly says this applies to long-dead contract models only. Why it has suddenly reappeared is anyone's guess.
Anyway, though we can be pretty confident it will be reversed on Monday it's led to a far less relaxing Sunday than I had been hoping for.

Edited by Phil Robinson

Here you go - https://web.archive.org/web/20030422045000/http://www.alamy.com/terms.asp

From March 2003 the 'storage fee' was 10c per image for alamy  red and green, zero for 'alamy blue'.  Did people have a choice at the time whether to switch to blue?  I can't remember.

10 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

My Balance is as it should be. I joined in late 2008 and I am sure I was under Blue commission. 

Allan

Oh it's not anything normal. Either someone has fired up the Windows XP version, or it's a test that's got out of its cage and gone VERY wrong.