File Could Not Be Found ???

MDM sent me . . .

1. Copy your images from card to folder on your hard drive. 
2. Import into Lightroom Classic 
3. Do whatever you do with your raw files. 
4. Now go Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2021 (instead of exporting to your desktop as Tiffs)
5. Do whatever it is you do in Photoshop. 
6. Now save the files back Into the same folder on your hard drive as Tiffs using Save As to make sure you know where they are going. 
7. Export as JPEGs for Alamy etc. 

I'm in an after-lunch with a two-drinks fog, but I'll try to answer this.

4. Now go Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2021 (instead of exporting to your desktop as Tiffs)

Am I supposed to be send and edit my RAW files here? I looked and looked but I don't see a way to do this. And can I edit RAW files in PS now?

I think I got the file (a jpeg) from iCloud.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

MDM sent me . . .

6. Now save the files back Into the same folder on your hard drive as Tiffs using Save As to make sure you know where they are going. 
7. Export as JPEGs for Alamy etc. 

Am I supposed to be send and edit my RAW files here? I looked and looked but I don't see a way to do this. And can I edit RAW files in PS now?

I think I got the file (a jpeg) from iCloud.

I think even I can answer this. Do your work In Lightroom then go to the top of the screen and Photo. The dropdown menu will give "Edit in.." and when you go there a side menu will show you the choices.. Photoshop, Nik filters, whatever is installed. Then the photo goes there with your Lightroom changes in it.

Paulette

PS. There is a step after you make your choice of programs in which you can choose whether to send a copy with the Lightroom adjustments. That choice is on top and checked by default (at least is is for me.). I believe it will send a TIFF.

Edited by NYCat

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

MDM sent me . . .

Do as Paulette says: Photo - Edit in and choose Adobe Photoshop 2021. You can also just hit command - E on the keyboard or right click and you get the same option.

You are not editing the raw files in Photoshop - you are converting first but as you have not yet saved them it doesn't matter what form they are in. All you need to do is go Photo - Edit in and choose Adobe Photoshop 2021. After that you can work on them and save them in whatever format (TIFF, JPEG, PSD etc) you like and wherever you like. I recommend saving them on your hard drive. 

It has always been the same - nothing new. Exporting as TIFF as a first step is and always has been completely unnecessary. It is adding unnecessary complication. 

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I think even I can answer this. Do your work In Lightroom then go to the top of the screen and Photo. The dropdown menu will give "Edit in.." and when you go there a side menu will show you the choices.. Photoshop, Nik filters, whatever is installed. Then the photo goes there with your Lightroom changes in it.

Paulette

PS. There is a step after you make your choice of programs in which you can choose whether to send a copy with the Lightroom adjustments. That choice is on top and checked by default (at least is is for me.). I believe it will send a TIFF.

The first part is true. The second is true as well but not editing raw files which should simply open without that dialog. 

Finally and I have kept this separate to keep things as simple as possible, you set the external editor in Lightroom Classic  - Preferences - External Editing. This will have already got default settings which can be changed if required.

You can choose from File Format, Color Space,  Bit Depth and Resolution.

Edited by MDM

Aha. I don’t use Photoshop so my experience is with going to ColorEfexPro. So nice to have you for a resource. If I ever go to the subscription I’m sure I will need help. 

Paulette

32 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Aha. I don’t use Photoshop so my experience is with going to ColorEfexPro. So nice to have you for a resource. If I ever go to the subscription I’m sure I will need help. 

Paulette

Happy to offer basic advice anytime. If you have never used Photoshop, then you will need a good book and/or online tutorials. It can be as simple or as complicated as you like. I am guessing you would have no problem with it. 

• Love 1

To reiterate the Seven Simple Steps. 

6. Now save the files back Into the same folder on your hard drive as Tiffs using Save As to make sure you know where they are going. At step 6 The saved files should be in the same folder as the original raws and should be automatically imported back into Lightroom. If not, then just import them as you did with the original raws.
7. Export as JPEGs for Alamy. Do everything from Lightroom Classic. Forget about working from iCloud, Adobe Cloud etc.

EDIT: Step 0. Go to Lightroom Classic - Preferences - External Editing and check or set your external editing preferences before you start. 

Edited by MDM

Okay. I did everything you and the big bear hugger suggested, Michael. It all worked. (Well, after some missteps it did.) I find the problem in following 'simple' instructions is that some steps are considered obvious, but to me they're not. I'll try a new A to Z edit tonight. (Or tomorrow.) 

Tomorrow the forecast is for sunshine and warmer temps. There is a bunch of new temporary street art here: River of Light Trail. Maybe I'll be able to get some new snaps, something other than pics of my lunch. 

Mercee bow ku

The simple is not always obvious Edo. There is a tendency to stick with what works and I understand that. I do the same myself. But the extra step of exporting TIFFs complicates things and is unnecessary.

Keeping all the images together in the same folder ensures they all stay together and should avoid any confusion especially if you continue to do everything from within Lightroom Classic. The files can even be transferred to your external drive as well but move them from within Lightroom for simplicity. The external drive does not need to be permanently connected once you have moved the files. Lightroom will find them as soon as you reconnect the drive. 

It's a change in your work flow but it is not huge and should make for a flow rather than a jam. 

Edited by MDM

31 minutes ago, MDM said:

Happy to offer basic advice anytime. If you have never used Photoshop, then you will need a good book and/or online tutorials. It can be as simple or as complicated as you like. I am guessing you would have no problem with it. 

I made a mistake when I was first learning to use a computer. I had resisted owning one until a friend gave me her old Windows laptop. Since I was not working in an office and trying to learn it all by myself I finally realized it would make sense to get a MacBook since the Apple stores were doing a lot of teaching and I knew I would probably want a Mac eventually. That was in the days when Macs were easier but nowadays I think they have complicated themselves. I hit the Apple store when they had stopped their little hands-on classes but a teacher had convinced them to let him do one-on-one. What a lucky thing for me. He was a very good teacher and I still think of him when I get into trouble. He always said..."Stop. Don't do anything right away."...Things do tend to be easier to sort out if I haven't done a bunch of things in a panic. So this is the good part of my journey. The mistake was to take a class in Photoshop at the International Center of Photography before I was proficient on my computer. The teacher there was teaching for the first time and I'm afraid she was a bit lost with a couple of us needing computer help as well as Photoshop help. I did learn quite a bit anyway and I have used Photoshop Elements a few times. I know you like Martin Evening and I use him as a resource but the Scott Kelby books are "dumbed down" enough for me to learn from them. The PhotoExpo here once a year used to offer seminars and I would take them. A rather wonderful one with Jay Maisel on photography in general and a few on Lightroom with Katrin Eismann. The Nik people had demonstrations and you could see the filters in action and ask questions. I think there aren't as many free resources as there used to be. We all go online for it now but in person was nice.

Paulette

22 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I made a mistake when I was first learning to use a computer. I had resisted owning one until a friend gave me her old Windows laptop. Since I was not working in an office and trying to learn it all by myself I finally realized it would make sense to get a MacBook since the Apple stores were doing a lot of teaching and I knew I would probably want a Mac eventually. That was in the days when Macs were easier but nowadays I think they have complicated themselves. I hit the Apple store when they had stopped their little hands-on classes but a teacher had convinced them to let him do one-on-one. What a lucky thing for me. He was a very good teacher and I still think of him when I get into trouble. He always said..."Stop. Don't do anything right away."...Things do tend to be easier to sort out if I haven't done a bunch of things in a panic. So this is the good part of my journey. The mistake was to take a class in Photoshop at the International Center of Photography before I was proficient on my computer. The teacher there was teaching for the first time and I'm afraid she was a bit lost with a couple of us needing computer help as well as Photoshop help. I did learn quite a bit anyway and I have used Photoshop Elements a few times. I know you like Martin Evening and I use him as a resource but the Scott Kelby books are "dumbed down" enough for me to learn from them. The PhotoExpo here once a year used to offer seminars and I would take them. A rather wonderful one with Jay Maisel on photography in general and a few on Lightroom with Katrin Eismann. The Nik people had demonstrations and you could see the filters in action and ask questions. I think there aren't as many free resources as there used to be. We all go online for it now but in person was nice.

Paulette

I think Scott Kelby is excellent. I have a few of his books on lighting and retouching and they are brilliant. I also have a great old Katrin Eismann book on retouching. Martin Evening is great for reference stuff but definitely I would use Scott Kelby if I was learning. You are fortunate being in New York for hands on stuff when it happens again. I am about an hour out of London so not too bad. When things open up again, one of the things I want to do is visit some photography galleries. I find that very inspiring and have not done it half often enough in the past. If there is one thing my experience over the last year has taught me, it is not to put things off until tomorrow. It may never come 😎.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 3

One thing to do when trying to solve a problem is get pen and paper.  Date each overall issue and write down how the problem originally presented.  Write down everything you do, and everything you try, including why and what resource suggested that you try it.   Figure out (on line or in the manual) how to reset things.   If you customize your camera or computer, write down what you've done.  

It's easier to look at a notebook than a screen if you only have one computer.  Tablets are useful things to have, but no better than paper.   I don't use this all the time, but have when I had a particularly sticky problem. 

Scott Kelby was brilliant for me. PS for Dummies was probably the first. He listed how-tos in easy-to-understand steps that any “Dummy” could follow. It got me started doing a few vital things like white balance (cleared up muddy blue skies) and levels. A few other things I used immediately. I tried to not bite off more than I was ready to chew, but digest it bit by bit until it was easy. Then I’d move on to something new to me.

I probably bought 3 or 4 of his books. I always learn best by book rather than video.

• Love 1

Thanks to MDM and Paulette and others, my editing path to Alamy is functioning again.

There are only a few changes. I'm looking forward to a large (for me) edit to see how that will work. I'm using the shortcut (command & e) that Michael suggested to move from LrC to PS, and I'm encouraged to learn some other shortcuts. 

• Love 3

22 hours ago, MDM said:

To reiterate the Seven Simple Steps. 

6. Now save the files back Into the same folder on your hard drive as Tiffs using Save As to make sure you know where they are going. At step 6 The saved files should be in the same folder as the original raws and should be automatically imported back into Lightroom. If not, then just import them as you did with the original raws.
7. Export as JPEGs for Alamy. Do everything from Lightroom Classic. Forget about working from iCloud, Adobe Cloud etc.

EDIT: Step 0. Go to Lightroom Classic - Preferences - External Editing and check or set your external editing preferences before you start. 

I do everything exactly as you’ve listed, except 7. Once I’ve finished the develop in LR, finished off in PS, I keyword them in Bridge, then save the jpegs to a separate desktop folder to upload, and a second jpeg copy to reside by the RAW in my desktop folder. Then I delete the Tiff. Then I move the finished folder to my desktop hard drive, freeing up my computer.

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I do everything exactly as you’ve listed, except 7. Once I’ve finished the develop in LR, finished off in PS, I keyword them in Bridge, then save the jpegs to a separate desktop folder to upload, and a second jpeg copy to reside by the RAW in my desktop folder. Then I delete the Tiff. Then I move the finished folder to my desktop hard drive, freeing up my computer.

I keep the Tiff with the RAW just in case I need it again.

Allan

All my image-editing problems have returned . . . plus a new one. It seems that my RAW folders do not stay live on my desktop. The images must be recalled, one by one, from iCloud for me to open them in LrC. I'm working on it. 😜 

Edo - It is not clear what is happening but why are you allowing your photos to upload to iCloud at all? Turn this off by going into your AppleID in System Prefs - AppleID - iCloud - Photos. You should then get an option to download all Photos to your desktop which you can do. Once you have done that, then keep it turned off and work locally only on your computer from within Lightroom Classic as I suggested above. If that doesn't work and you keep getting problems with cloud images, then perhaps you are using Adobe Cloud not iCloud?

Michael, "why" is not a word in my vocabulary. I'm trying to solve these problems; it's one step forward and one step back. Yes, I shall turn off iCloud. 

At the moment, there is a burst HOT water pipe on my flood that has captured my full attention. Poco a poco a poco.

11 hours ago, MDM said:

Edo - It is not clear what is happening but why are you allowing your photos to upload to iCloud at all? Turn this off by going into your AppleID in System Prefs - AppleID - iCloud - Photos. You should then get an option to download all Photos to your desktop which you can do. Once you have done that, then keep it turned off and work locally only on your computer from within Lightroom Classic as I suggested above. If that doesn't work and you keep getting problems with cloud images, then perhaps you are using Adobe Cloud not iCloud?

Since the last LRC/PS/CC update I've run into some "issues" too. I noticed that my CC logo on the top menu bar was showing a synch symbol which I'd never noticed before. I've never asked CC to synch anything and I don't use Adobe Cloud. I looked in preferences for the CC app and it was showing that it was trying to synch my Documents folder. I've no idea why. So I paused the sync process. I also found a now folder called "Library" had appeared in my Documents folder with Adobe stuff in it. Seems I can't disable the Synch feature, so I left it paused and deleted the Library folder. Seems OK so far.... Maybe it will come back when I restart...

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman