File Could Not Be Found ???

23 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Same here. Plenty of room for the camera on the desk next to my iMac and download of images takes less time than it takes to brew a coffee while waiting......and less chance of damaging a card.

Apologies all, my statement 'same here' not entirely true; me being a dummy and not paying attention. My Nikons don't charge from the connecting cable. I have the charger next to the computer and simply remove and re-charge the camera battery if necessary after I've completed image download.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Apologies all, my statement 'same here' not entirely true; me being a dummy and not paying attention. My Nikons don't charge from the connecting cable. I have the charger next to the computer and simply remove and re-charge the camera battery if necessary after I've completed image download.

Good on ya Dave for correcting what you said. You could have said nothing more and nobody would have said anything as you didn’t say what camera you have. As far as I know, the only Nikon cameras that can be charged by USB are Z series cameras. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Files Could Not Be Found" is back. This time it's in PhotoShop. And there are a half dozen other odd, negative things going on with my CC Adobe apps. I don't know if it's Adobe or my MacBook. I'm not asking for help right now. I'm not going to try to deal with this until morning. 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

"Files Could Not Be Found" is back. This time it's in PhotoShop. And there are a half dozen other odd, negative things going on with my CC Adobe apps. I don't know if it's Adobe or my MacBook. I'm not asking for help right now. I'm not going to try to deal with this until morning. 

Strange that Photoshop is reporting missing files as it doesn't actually keep tabs on files unless I am missing something. When does this happen? Have you been (inadvertently) saving them to the Adobe Cloud rather than your hard drive? Photoshop has an option for this but I always turn if off permanently along with the Home Screen thing which I find really annoying. 

Other possibilities include  accidentally deleting files or opening them into Photoshop from an SD card or external drive that is not connected?

Strange indeed, Michael. And things keep changing and getting stranger. 

I took some test snaps this morning using both RX100 Sonys and two memory cards. The first small batch was not recognised by LR Classic. On the next three batches, everything went fine. I don't think I've deleted any files. And I've not opened any original files into PS or an external drive. 

This is the step by step of my editing: 

I import my images from the memory card onto my desktop. Then I drag and drop the file folder (RAW or jpegs) into LR Classic. After making any changes needed in LR-C, I export as tiffs to the desktop. One by one, I drag and drop the tiffs into PS, finish editing, save and save-as jpegs to be submitted to Alamy. In the last few days, I've had trouble with each and every of these steps. As of the moment, everything is working. An hour or two from now, who knows? 

Edo

I don't know why files from the RX100 should not be recognised unless there is some file corruption happening. That seems like a pretty straightforward workflow Edo although there are so many ways of getting the same end result. You appear to be adding an unnecessary step though by exporting the TIFFs and then dropping them into Photoshop which may be related to the missing files message. 

Here is my general workflow simplified a bit. I do the initial editing in LR (classic), open the raw images straight into Photoshop (Edit in PS), work on them and then save them (as PSDs which is the equivalent of you saving TIFFs) so they appear straight away in LR. It would be the same if it was a JPEG although I never shoot JPEGs. The PSD files are saved automatically in the same folder as the original raws so there is no chance of them going astray. I then export from there as required - full size JPEGs for Alamy or clients, low res for my website or social media etc. 

The thing is, I've been doing my stated system of editing for a very long time (without problems) and I have a 5-star QC rating with Alamy. Alamy is my only agency. So I don't see my using tiffs as a problem. Why are things working one time, and then not working, and then working again? It is a puzzlement. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

The thing is, I've been doing my stated system of editing for a very long time (without problems) and I have a 5-star QC rating with Alamy. Alamy is my only agency. So I don't see my using tiffs as a problem. Why are things working one time, and then not working, and then working again? It is a puzzlement. 

Nothing to do with Alamy at all Edo and I didn't mean there was a problem using TIFFS - I meant exporting them to the desktop and then opening them in Photoshop is an unnecessary step. You can just open the raw images straight into Photoshop and then save them as TIFFs from there, then export your JPEGs from Lightroom (the PSD thing is just a distraction here- ignore). That way it is less likely that files will go astray. But there is nothing wrong with your workflow. However, it is impossible to know what is going on from here as there are so many variables. 

Try running the Disk Utility App's First Aid, then, if there appear to be problems, take the machine in to your Apple Store if they're open.  The other thing is checking for the image with Finder (I believe you're using a Mac, so these are Mac-centric suggestions).   The other thing to do if you suspect your SD cards are corrupt is use SDFormatter.app and format the card in the computer.  This will block off bad sectors.  Been a while since I did this, but the camera will have to rebuild its file structure on the card after this is done.

MDM, I'm aware of what you say and suggest. When I'm shooting, I work very fast, make fast decisions. I've tried to slowdown my editing by working in sections. I deal with each image in turn and have no presets. Poco a poco. 

I have to digest and check out your advice, MizBrown. Yes. I'm on a MacBook Pro. I've also been about to offer some thoughts about your port, in that other thread. Poco a poco a poco. (My Spanish will get me a beer and some tapas--nada mas). 

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have to digest and check out your advice, MizBrown. Yes. I'm on a MacBook Pro. I've also been about to offer some thoughts about your port, in that other thread. Poco a poco a poco. (My Spanish will get me a beer and some tapas--nada mas). 

I'm a firm believer in ruling out hardware issues first.   Will appreciate more thoughts about my port.  One issue was that at least one of my cameras' meters underexposes.  Mi español es suficiente por comprar comeda para mi y mis mascotas, no por hablar o la filosophia.  Not checked in Google Translate.

My workflow

Create a folder on my desktop and title and date it.

using a card reader, select all images from the reader pop up and using the mouse, drag them in the created folder.

Open LR classic

Select “import photos” and navigate to the folder on my Mac’s desktop

When import is complete, I eject the card, remove it. I only reformat in the camera.

Develop each image one at a time in LR Classic then choose “edit in PS” which opens them up bypassing ACR.

Tweak anything involving layers, spot, crop and save as an 8 bit Tiff in the same desktop folder the RAW resides in. One by one, no developing batches or using presets.

When the folder image choices are complete, I delete all rejects. Then I tag in Bridge. Once that is done, I save a jpeg to a newly created Alamy folder for only that shoot, “Alamy 521” the number indicates that is my 521st upload to Alamy. I do this until all images are in the upload folder. I save back a jpeg copy to the RAW folder, and delete the Tiff. I never go back to Tiffs later on to redevelop, I prefer reopening the RAW, but find I’ve only ever redeveloped old images lately, 10 or more years old.

Then I save two copies of that folder to my two desktop hard drives along with that Alamy upload folder and delete them from my computer desktop.

My only ever “glitch” was after an update, when importing to LR, I was using “add” to the wrong LR app. (Thanks, MDM) Michael can usually get me going down the right road.

My workflow is probably different than anyone else’s. And that’s okay. We all do what we’ve figured out to do on our own, usually going back some years. Once we are comfortable with that workflow, it becomes easy and automatic. We, or at least I, am loathe to change what works perfectly fine...for me.

I find if problems crop up, I can directly lay the blame at the feet of the updates. I change nothing on my own, but often find the update has changed something. Since I’m not technical, I find it hard to track the problem down and getting it to work like it did pre-update.
Like now...always before when I saved a Tiff or jpeg back to the folder containing the RAWS, they saved next to the RAW. After the last update, they are saving at the end of all the images in the folder. I have to physically select them and move them up next to the RAW.

What a pain!!  I’ve tried changing things in the “sort” option but nothing seems to fix it. It’s enough to make me dread the updates.

Again my tech troubles are back. Not one or two problems but closer to ten that come and go and come back again. 'Files can not be found' is one. Again. 'Can not complete . . . scratch disks are full' is another. Nothing can be relied on to work. 

Since there are so many problems, I think the culprit must be my MacBook or the fact that I have no functioning WiFi in my building at the moment. To connect to the Internet, I use the Personal Hotspot on my iPhone 7. However, Adobe CC sits on my Mac and does not need a connection to the Net. I'm a very confused and unhappy camper.

It is nothing to do with WiFi.if you are using Lightroom Classic. It could be just that your hard drive is getting too full and/or it could be a warning  of impending drive failure. First thing quit all applications, then back up any files that are not already backed up to an external drive. I assume you back up your images to an external drive. You then need to make room on your drive by deleting some files. You should then run Disk Utilities repair to see if there is a problem with the drive and if it can be repaired. The scratch disk thing should not be a problem if you make space on the drive. But the urgent thing to do is to back up any images you have not backed up yet as well as any other files on the drive. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Thanks, Michael -- that all makes sense. If it were not for the lockdown, I'd have bought a new M1 Mac mini by now. The MacBook Pro is the one that had the recall on it in 2019. I did take it into Apple in Seville at the time. 

I feel as if I've been boring the forum with my techno problems. I apologise. 

As the weekend begins, my Adobe apps are working again, if slower than normal. I deleted a ton of stuff, image files and other files, to make space on my scratch disks. At first, that made no difference, but last night and now this morning, I've not been getting the 'no room message.' Maybe these things have a delay? Will my next post here be about problems that have returned. I hope not. 

My last order from Amazon Prime? They have still not been able to deliver anything I've ordered to their own locker in the train station lobby next to me. Thank God the Liverpool John Lewis is not one of those stores that's been targeted for closer. 

Thank you again for all your advise. Much of it has proven helpful. 

Edo

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I feel as if I've been boring the forum with my techno problems. I apologise. 

As the weekend begins, my Adobe apps are working again, if slower than normal. I deleted a ton of stuff, image files and other files, to make space on my scratch disks. At first, that made no difference, but last night and now this morning, I've not been getting the 'no room message.' Maybe these things have a delay? Will my next post here be about problems that have returned. I hope not. 

My last order from Amazon Prime? They have still not been able to deliver anything I've ordered to their own locker in the train station lobby next to me. Thank God the Liverpool John Lewis is not one of those stores that's been targeted for closer. 

Thank you again for all your advise. Much of it has proven helpful. 

Edo

Edo you are not boring people on this forum. It makes for interesting thoughts and discussion figuring out other peoples problems and how to help.

I know I have not had an input into your problem on here but the discussion is/was interesting and could help me should I have a similar occurrence in the future.

We are all learning all the time.

Sorry your Amazon order has not been delivered.

Keep posting.

Allan

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Allan -- I'll keep complaining. 😉

Here's the latest twist. I did a few captures today. They all uploaded onto my MacBook okay. I edited the RAW images in LR Classic and exported tiffs of them to a folder. I moved them from the folder onto my desktop and one by one finished my editing in PS CC. The first two images went okay. Then the fun began.

When I tried to drag the third image into PS, I got the message "File Could Not Be Found" message. I tried all the other images and got the same message on each. I clicked on an image to get a look at it in Preview. That didn't work either. Sitting there scratching my head in wonder . . . when suddenly the Preview opened. Hmm. At that point, I was able to drag and drop the image into PS and finish the edit. 

Here's what seems to be happening, although it's not happened before (meaning before this trouble began). When I convert and save as a tiff to a folder or my desktop, it gets saved to iCloud also. But then it seems that it's not live on the desktop and has to be recalled and exported from iCloud. This is nuts and makes for very long, slow editing. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

On 10/03/2021 at 09:50, Nigel Kirby said:

Ed have you tried this company for cards etc (No VAT to pay on items)

https://www.picstop.co.uk/

Nigel

Nigel and Mark C, I didn't mean to ignore your suggestions but my problem with ordering things online is no-one can get into my lobby. When I moved into this building, there was a management person at a reception desk. The lobby is no longer staffed. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Allan -- I'll keep complaining. 😉

Here's the latest twist. I did a few captures today. They all uploaded onto my MacBook okay. I edited the RAW images in LR Classic and exported tiffs of them to a folder. I moved them from the folder onto my desktop and one by one finished my editing in PS CC. The first two images went okay. Then the fun began.

When I tried to drag the third image into PS, I got the message "File Could Not Be Found" message. I tried all the other images and got the same message on each. I clicked on an image to get a look at it in Preview. That didn't work either. Sitting there scratching my head in wonder . . . when suddenly the Preview opened. Hmm. At that point, I was able to drag and drop the image into PS and finish the edit. 

Here's what seems to be happening, although it's not happened before (meaning before this trouble began). When I convert and save as a tiff to a folder or my desktop, it gets saved to iCloud also. But then it seems that it's not live on the desktop and has to be recalled and exported from iCloud. This is nuts and makes for very long, slow editing. 

Edo I have not "joined" iCloud and do not have any problems like you are having with it. If you do not need iCloud can you disconnect. Sorry I do not know how to do that though.

Someone will I expect.

Allan

Looking for answers, I just tried something that worked. I recalled an image from iCloud and was able to work on it in both LR C and PS . . . without the original RAW image anywhere. 

Stumbling around hit and miss, is catching up to me. Perhaps someone can suggest an online site where I can learn Adobe LR Classic and PS? 

I am guessing it is not iCloud but Adobe Cloud your images are being saved to. When saving your images in Photoshop you need to choose where they are being saved to. If you simply go Save As from Photoshop rather than Export or Save then you can choose where you save your files to.  Choose a folder on your hard drive. That should solve immediate problems. 

Trying to sort out the current mess is too difficult or impossible without being hands on. Here is a very simple workflow that should solve all of your problems. It is a minor change from your current workflow but the simplification should sort out the missing files problem. 

1. Copy your images from card to folder on your hard drive. 
2. Import into Lightroom Classic 

3. Do whatever you do with your raw files. 
4. Now go Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2021 (instead of exporting to your desktop as Tiffs)

5. Do whatever it is you do in Photoshop. 
6. Now save the files back Into the same folder on your hard drive as Tiffs using Save As to make sure you know where they are going. 
7. Export as JPEGs for Alamy etc. 

A further note. You don’t need to save the files as Tiffs at all if you are not concerned about keeping them (which you said you were not in an email to me). In step 6 you could forget about saving them as Tiffs and just save them as JPEGs. In the Save As dialog, just make sure you choose a folder on your hard drive.