File Could Not Be Found ???

I just did a test upload from my RX100/5 using a cable. That has changed some since the last time I did it, but with a bit of stumbling, it worked. In the last few year, I've been using a card reader to move the images from a camera to my Mac. That worked fine. I have CC LR Classic 10.1.1 now. 

With the stores closed, I have to use Amazon to buy a new card reader. That's another set of problems. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I just did a test upload from my RX100/5 using a cable. That has changed some since the last time I did it, but with a bit of stumbling, it worked. In the last few year, I've been using a card reader to move the images from a camera to my Mac. That worked fine. I have CC LR Classic 10.1.1 now. 

With the stores closed, I have to use Amazon to buy a new card reader. That's another set of problems. 

If you are having problems getting packages delivered, a card reader should not be a problem as it would come in a small envelope as with ordinary mail (I assume you are able to get mail delivered). The low value Amazon deliveries don't usually require a signature if they can drop it in a letterbox. Also some of the Amazon deliveries offer a choice of collecting in a drop off store. Or you could always try Argos click and collect. There must be an Argos in central Liverpool. You buy online and collect it at the store. They do sell card readers. 

• Like 1

Yes, Michael, in theory you're mostly right. But I've bought 4 items from Amazon Prime this past month, and although all were delivered, each was an anxious event. The one that went smoothest was the lumbar support I sent to an old pal in Tuscany. It was delivered in a week and the postage to Brexit EU was just £6. When they delivered my two tiny memory cards, the package was too big to fit in my large mailbox. They left in the empty lobby. 

I've been trying to sort out having my Amazon orders delivered to the Amazon Locker next door at the entrance to Moorfields Train Station. It took me three phone calls to  get them to correct the postal code. With the last item, the delivery man couldn't put the package in the locker. 

I will order a card reader today. Many I'll order one from Amazon and another from Argos. The adventure continues.

Tio Edwardo

11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, Michael, in theory you're mostly right. But I've bought 4 items from Amazon Prime this past month, and although all were delivered, each was an anxious event. The one that went smoothest was the lumbar support I sent to an old pal in Tuscany. It was delivered in a week and the postage to Brexit EU was just £6. When they delivered my two tiny memory cards, the package was too big to fit in my large mailbox. They left in the empty lobby. 

I've been trying to sort out having my Amazon orders delivered to the Amazon Locker next door at the entrance to Moorfields Train Station. It took me three phone calls to  get them to correct the postal code. With the last item, the delivery man couldn't put the package in the locker. 

I will order a card reader today. Many I'll order one from Amazon and another from Argos. The adventure continues.

Tio Edwardo

Ed have you tried this company for cards etc (No VAT to pay on items)

https://www.picstop.co.uk/

Nigel

I'd use Ebay over Amazon even though we've got Amazon Prime, especially for something like a card reader. That said the packaging on my recent hard drive from Amazon was impeccable, not too big but ingeniously designed to give maximum shock protection, they call it 'Frustration Free' packaging which was standard for that item:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G3FR4KS7LPQG7H26

Yet another update! On my activities, I mean.

I ordered two different cards from Amazon, one to be sent to my address, the other to the mysterious Amazon Locker next door. I also tried to order one from my nearby Argos, but the site was not working.

Let the games begin!

What a ridiculous situation this is. 

1. Both card readers were delivered this morning. Very fast; I ordered them late last night.

2. I've tested both readers and they both work. I also retested my old card reader and that is now working again too. ???

3. Both small packagers were delivered to me by a helpful Turkish young man who has delivered to me before. He couldn't get into the lobby to have access to my mailbox. He phoned me and I came down and let him in. (The Royal Mail man has access to the lobby.) 

4. The Amazon delivery man could not leave my package in the Amazon Locker in the Moorfields Train Station next door. That is what I want to happen!

5. I've phoned and complained to Amazon about this situation twice. They did change the post code, which they had wrong. 

So . . . around and around we go. Very frustrating. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

Talking of around and around we go ----- DON'T get me started on the shenanigans of trying to get my faulty in warranty washer/dryer mended/replaced.

Phone calls to robots, web chats, emails, Arrrrg!  -----   All I want to do is talk to a person, (A sensible one would be nice), who can organise the whole thing for me.

Been going on for two weeks now.

Allan

Sorry just had to get that off my chest.

Back to the subject.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
added apology.

48 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That is the subject, Allan. Amazon invites me to fill out a sheet to approve or disapprove their deliveries -- but the questions have nothing to do with the problems I'm having. 

I would not have my problem if we were not in covid lockdown as I could have visited the outlet where I bought the machine and it would have been done in one fell swoop.

Your problem cannot be solved by lifting the lockdown as far as I can see.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Your problem cannot be solved by lifting the lockdown as far as I can see.

Allan

Which problems? I solved the missing files problem. I can upload and edit in LR and PS CC. The problem of getting stuff delivered from Amazon? If the stores were open, I would not be using Amazon. 

On 10/03/2021 at 10:13, Harry Harrison said:

I'd use Ebay over Amazon even though we've got Amazon Prime, especially for something like a card reader. That said the packaging on my recent hard drive from Amazon was impeccable, not too big but ingeniously designed to give maximum shock protection, they call it 'Frustration Free' packaging which was standard for that item:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G3FR4KS7LPQG7H26

Re eBay/Amazon

I just had a new experience. I wanted to buy an item. I looked on Amazon it was £10.99. I didn't want anything else and I don't have Amazon Prime so I would also have to pay £4.99 postage making £15.98 in total. So I went to eBay and found the same item from a business seller for £13.62 including free postage, so I bought it. When I checked out I got a message saying that the seller reserved the right to use one of their "business partners" to fulfill my order if they didn't have it in stock. Next morning the item arrives from Amazon with a "gift message" from the seller.

Is this a way to make a fast buck? ie. Take out an Amazon account and Amazon Prime (to get free next day delivery). Then list Amazon stocked items for sale on eBay, priced lower than the Amazon price with delivery added, but high enough to cover your costs (Amazon price + eBay + Paypal fees) with a small profit? No need to carry stock, and Amazon provides the delivey service and warranty returns. Mmmm....

Or... are Amazon now taking out eBay accounts and selling through there as well to maximise sales channels? Are Amazon taking over the world???

Or maybe it was just this?

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Selling-on-Ebay-via-Amazon/qaq-p/6413339?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5337590774&customid=&toolid=10001

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

47 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I just had a new experience.

I've never come across anything like this I must say, I just thought that eBay would be easier and less likely to arrive in a giant cardboard box, but it looks like that happened for you anyway! I've never had a problem buying anything on eBay, nor selling come to that, but I know some people are wary. There are still scams but I probably don't buy the kind of things that attracts them and ebay seem very quick to take them down now. The ones to definitely avoid are high value items at a cheap 'Buy it now' price, you'll usually find that one of the photographs contains direct contact details. I just report them.

8 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Is this a way to make a fast buck? ie. Take out an Amazon account and Amazon Prime (to get free next day delivery). Then list Amazon stocked items for sale on eBay, priced lower than the Amazon price with delivery added, but high enough to cover your costs (Amazon price + eBay + Paypal fees) with a small profit? No need to carry stock, and Amazon provides the delivey service and warranty returns. Mmmm....

Or... are Amazon now taking out eBay accounts and selling through there as well to maximise sales channels? Are Amazon taking over the world???

Or maybe it was just this?

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Selling-on-Ebay-via-Amazon/qaq-p/6413339?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5337590774&customid=&toolid=10001

Mark

On Tuesday I had a similar experience. I had ordered a USB-C power adapter via eBay, and I was surprised when it arrived from Amazon. Inside the box was a note from the seller and another from Amazon stating 'Enjoy your gift'. Was a first time for me. Mark, your link made interesting reading.

Edited by sb photos

I've seen all the talk about card readers but don't fully understand why they are necessary for importing images from camera to computer.

My cards never leave my cameras, I simply connect the camera (I use Nikon) to computer and download to ViewNX 2. Maybe things are different for other camera makes.

5 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

I've seen all the talk about card readers but don't fully understand why they are necessary for importing images from camera to computer.

My cards never leave my cameras, I simply connect the camera (I use Nikon) to computer and download to ViewNX 2. Maybe things are different for other camera makes.

Convenience. Reading from cameras can be slower, you have to put them somewhere, and of course you drain the battery. Since my card slot developed a mechanical fault I now have to leave the card in the camera. It's reminded me how handy readers are. Especially the one built in to my computer.

Edited by spacecadet

3 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

I do something similar on my iMac desktop. Connect camera to iMac turn on Apples "Image capture" and download to a "temporary holding file" for that camera. I use various cameras and have a file for each.

Allan

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Convenience. Reading from cameras can be slower, you have to put them somewhere, and of course you drain the battery. Since my card slot developed a mechanical fault I now have to leave the card in the camera. It's reminded me how handy readers are. Especially the one built in to my computer.

After down loading my images I leave the camera plugged in so the battery is charged from the connection.

Allan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

After down loading my images I leave the camera plugged in so the battery is charged from the connection.

Allan

Same here. Plenty of room for the camera on the desk next to my iMac and download of images takes less time than it takes to brew a coffee while waiting......and less chance of damaging a card.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Never had a camera that charged the battery in-situ.

9 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

and less chance of damaging a card.

.......or damaged a card in 15 years of using a reader.

Dave, the reason I stopped uploading my images from the camera (RX100/3) to the Mac was that the flap that covered the cable input began showing damaged and then broke off. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Never had a camera that charged the battery in-situ.

I use Sony and thought you did too. All my Sonys charge battery in -situ.

Allan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Dave, the reason I stopped uploading my images from the camera (RX100/3) to the Mac was that the flap that covered the cable input began showing damaged and then broke off. 

Mine is the same but is still on. Just sticks out a bit. Never been a problem for me. The Mk 1 flap is stronger and still works as it should. I think the fastening arrangement is a bit different to the mk3.

Allan