Facebook News Pages

Facebook today announced the imminent launch of Facebook News - a personalised news service offering users articles reprinted fron the major newspapers including the Times, Telegraph, Mail, etc. The newspaper will be paid for the right to reprint articles.

What about the photographs within them? Will we photographers be paid for their reuse? What about image theft, much easier from Facebook? How does it affect the duration of a licence? Will editorial restricions still apply? I'm sure this plan will raise a myriad of questions.

I'm keen to know if Alamy has given any thought to this massive shake-up in the publishing model.

I don’t think this is any different to Apple News on iPad and iPhone which pulls newspaper and magazines articles from the web. This has been there for quite a few years. A suspect there is a Google equivalent app. Is Facebook doing something different to Apple?

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Life sure was a lot simpler (and probably saner) before there was a huge, voracious "news industry" -- when there was a fifteen minute TV newscast every night and the paper boy (or girl) delivered the daily newspaper.

Too much news not enough information.

Allan

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Seems to be the same problem with Yahoo news. I had an image of a comedian used on the BBC website last week and next thing there are nearly 20 other copies of the entire article plus image on Yahoo pages

10 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Too much news not enough information.

Allan

That's for sure. News, like just about everything else, has become a commodity to be bought and sold by super-rich organizations rather than information that benefits the common good.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

I have the BBC app on my iPad and watch BBC World through Claro.  Google News tends to be right wing propaganda sites when it's about Latin America.  BBC tends to be more broad-ranging.   For Apple, Google, and Yahoo to stripmine news providers without pay is theft.  The ads on Facebook, Google, and such aren't benefiting the news producers, aren't paying for reporters.  If they don't want to be in Australia, fine.  At least one country isn't letting them steal from sources that develop their own news. 

And if I could ever fly again and could afford it, I'd go Turkish Airlines since they pay for the BBC Travel Show. 

If Google was bringing over the ads from the news developers, then that would be one thing, but that isn't what they really want to do. 

• Love 2

If news is worth hearing it will find a way. When 9/11 happened I was a young lad and first heard about it getting on the school bus not long after it had happened. The driver, who was one of those happy go lucky joker types, was sat in the cab expressionless listening to a handheld radio. It didn't really hit me until I got home and then I knew for sure.

Agree on the above comments about the over abundance of news media. There's that much of it now that those involved in pumping it out have to do so much to fill and sensationalise it to keep the viewer's attention. Whether right or left (I pledge allegiance to neither) it is obvious there is bias and serious editorialising on both sides and it makes it hard for me to take any of it seriously. I don't need to be preached to or told what is right or wrong, I just want to know what's current. Good quality journalism where the reporter only goes by fact and doesn't make brazen assumptions - even when the conclusion seems an obvious one - is becoming rarer by the day.

• Love 1