Can I upload scanned analog pictures ?

jordicubells

Question

Hi everyone, I'm new in Alamy, and I want to make sure if I can upload scanned analog pictures.

Can someone help me from some similar past experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards !

Edited by jordicubells
typing mistake

33 minutes ago, jordicubells said:

Thanks to everybody !!!

I have pictures scanned from slides,   because pics was taken before that digital cameras appear.

I just want to know from Alamy contributors how difficult can be to pass QC by Alamy. Thanks to everyone who explains their experiences. 

PS: sorry if I make some mistake, do the fact that english is not my native language.

It depends on how you digitise the slides which is why I asked you what device you are using. Also of course it depends on the quality of th originals as well as the format (35mmm, medium format). The vast majority of photographers digitising 35mm nowadays advocate copying to a camera rather than scanning as, done properly, it gives superior results. 

By the way, are the images you have in your port really public domain as marked? 

• Love 1

Well you could search the forum...

For the benefit of the anonomous Robin Hood and his red arrow...

From the forum guidelines...

"Before posting, it’s always good to search to see if a similar topic or question has been posted before. You might find that your topic has already been covered"

Edited by Mr Standfast
Ire!
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Hi jordicubells - welcome to the friendly Alamy forum 😀. I am guessing English is not your first language so it can be difficult especially because there is no direct guidance from Alamy related to your question.  You really need to provide more detail if you want any information that is likely to actually help you. Are you talking about scanning film (slides or negatives) or prints?  What device are you scanning with? 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, jordicubells said:

Hi everyone, I'm new in Alamy, and I want to make sure if I can upload scanned analog pictures.

Can someone help me from some similar past experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards !

The short answer to your question is YES.

More than 50% of the images that I have on Alamy are scans from 35mm chromes, few negatives as well.

It is  a lot of work, but depending on the images it is worth the effort.

Chuck

• Love 1

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Hi jordicubells - welcome to the friendly Alamy forum 😀. I am guessing English is not your first language so it can be difficult especially because there is no direct guidance from Alamy related to your question.  You really need to provide more detail if you want any information that is likely to actually help you. Are you talking about scanning film (slides or negatives) or prints?  What device are you scanning with? 

now i'm curious.  Does anyone ever effectively scan prints?  

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

now i'm curious.  Does anyone ever effectively scan prints?  

I take it effectively means of sufficient quality to pass normal QC. I'm sure that would be possible if the original prints were good enough and one had a half decent flatbed scanner plus a bit of skill in post but I am not intending to try it myself as I have no reason to do so. 

I only asked about prints because the original question was vague (scan analogue pictures?). I think a lot of people do copy printed material for uploading by the archival route (or possibly from other agencies). This could be scanned or photographed. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Well you could search the forum...

For the benefit of the anonomous Robin Hood and his red arrow...

From the forum guidelines...

"Before posting, it’s always good to search to see if a similar topic or question has been posted before. You might find that your topic has already been covered"

In my opinion, it is not in the spirit of the forum to tell newcomers who clearly do not have English as a first language to search the forum. The question was asked in good faith and the OP may have great difficulty finding the answer to what was a vague question, again presumably because English is not his first language.  I am not the giver of the red arrow as I really don't like them but I did give you a sad face. I am unafraid to tell you that and would do so to your face just as well as on a forum.

• Love 1

On 13/01/2021 at 18:21, MDM said:

In my opinion, it is not in the spirit of the forum to tell newcomers who clearly do not have English as a first language to search the forum. The question was asked in good faith and the OP may have great difficulty finding the answer to what was a vague question, again presumably because English is not his first language.  I am not the giver of the red arrow as I really don't like them but I did give you a sad face. I am unafraid to tell you that and would do so to your face just as well as on a forum.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. So welcome.

So how the hell was I supposed to know english was not his 1st language,

Goodnight.

Edited by Mr Standfast
I was rude
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

... but wearing a mask while keeping proper distance based on your local guidelines.  😉😷

I photograph my old slides. I use a macro lens, lightbox and film holder. It produces excellent results and have always passed QC but takes a lot of effort to set up and clean in post.
I only scan slides that are unique and can't be re-shot on digital.

1 hour ago, Flash68 said:

I photograph my old slides. I use a macro lens, lightbox and film holder. It produces excellent results and have always passed QC but takes a lot of effort to set up and clean in post.
I only scan slides that are unique and can't be re-shot on digital.

That's what I am doing. I have had QC passes for 35mm Kodachrome copies but in general it is easier to use the Archive route - then I tend to dust bust at 100% but not worry about every single minuscule speck, though must admit that I find it hard to stop when I start! 

• Love 2

Thanks to everybody !!!

I have pictures scanned from slides,   because pics was taken before that digital cameras appear.

I just want to know from Alamy contributors how difficult can be to pass QC by Alamy. Thanks to everyone who explains their experiences. 

PS: sorry if I make some mistake, do the fact that english is not my native language.

Edited by jordicubells

Taken in 1985 and one of mine. 

http://c7.alamy.com/thumbs/4/7CE360BD-5D6C-4BAA-BC65-B2D3FE7B8BFE/AJDXA8.jpg AJDXA8 IDMTHAI023 geogphotos 22 December 2020 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 22 December 2020
Duration: In perpetuity all media, worldwide, in perpetuity
$ 273.12
Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, jordicubells said:

Hello MDM,

I took my pics to digitize to a specialized lab, the digitization was in high resolution. Many 35 mm, and some 120 mm from Hasselblad camera.

Yes I marked public domain. 

OK but marking them as public domain means anyone can use them copyright free for no fee so there is no point in putting them on Alamy. That public domain field is primarily for images that people have downloaded from the public domain and put on sale here, presumably with some modifications (e.g. Wikipedia, NASA images etc). 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jordicubells said:

Hello MDM,

I took my pics to digitize to a specialized lab, the digitization was in high resolution. Many 35 mm, and some 120 mm from Hasselblad camera.

Yes I marked public domain. 

If these pictures were taken by you then you should not mark them as Public Domain. Public Domain means that they were taken by somebody else - eg) NASA, Creative Commons, art galleries such as the Rijksmusem and made available for anybody to use free of charge and without copyright restrictions.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1