Jump to content
  • 0

Can I upload scanned analog pictures ?


Question

Hi everyone, I'm new in Alamy, and I want to make sure if I can upload scanned analog pictures.

Can someone help me from some similar past experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards !

Edited by jordicubells
typing mistake
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Well you could search the forum...

 

 

For the benefit of the anonomous Robin Hood and his red arrow...

 

From the forum guidelines...

 

"Before posting, it’s always good to search to see if a similar topic or question has been posted before. You might find that your topic has already been covered"

 

Edited by Mr Standfast
Ire!
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Click on my blue link and scroll around to see some uploaded to Archive. A few have gone into Stock but most wouldn't pass QC hence the Archive route. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi jordicubells - welcome to the friendly Alamy forum 😀. I am guessing English is not your first language so it can be difficult especially because there is no direct guidance from Alamy related to your question.  You really need to provide more detail if you want any information that is likely to actually help you. Are you talking about scanning film (slides or negatives) or prints?  What device are you scanning with? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Scanned medium format (assuming it is sharp) is not a problem - I have over 1000 (rough guess) in my port - scanned on drums or flextights but you can duplicate that with shooting it on a good digital camera. I sell dozens a month between here and elsewhere, so clients still like the look of film (mainly RVP120)

 

35mm slides are much more difficult - the relative level of sharpness is much less (their original size for starters etc).  As Ian has said the archive route is ideal for this.

 

Personally I remember being very surprised how soft many of my 35mm slides were when compared to modern digital (Canon 1DS I think was my camera at the time). The agency which scanned many of them downsized to their minimum, in order to make them useable.

Edited by GeoffK
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, jordicubells said:

Hi everyone, I'm new in Alamy, and I want to make sure if I can upload scanned analog pictures.

Can someone help me from some similar past experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards !

The short answer to your question is YES.

 

More than 50% of the images that I have on Alamy are scans from 35mm chromes, few negatives as well.

It is  a lot of work, but depending on the images it is worth the effort.

 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

 

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Hi jordicubells - welcome to the friendly Alamy forum 😀. I am guessing English is not your first language so it can be difficult especially because there is no direct guidance from Alamy related to your question.  You really need to provide more detail if you want any information that is likely to actually help you. Are you talking about scanning film (slides or negatives) or prints?  What device are you scanning with? 

 

 

now i'm curious.  Does anyone ever effectively scan prints?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

 

now i'm curious.  Does anyone ever effectively scan prints?  

 

I take it effectively means of sufficient quality to pass normal QC. I'm sure that would be possible if the original prints were good enough and one had a half decent flatbed scanner plus a bit of skill in post but I am not intending to try it myself as I have no reason to do so. 

 

I only asked about prints because the original question was vague (scan analogue pictures?). I think a lot of people do copy printed material for uploading by the archival route (or possibly from other agencies). This could be scanned or photographed. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Well you could search the forum...

 

 

For the benefit of the anonomous Robin Hood and his red arrow...

 

From the forum guidelines...

 

"Before posting, it’s always good to search to see if a similar topic or question has been posted before. You might find that your topic has already been covered"

 

 

In my opinion, it is not in the spirit of the forum to tell newcomers who clearly do not have English as a first language to search the forum. The question was asked in good faith and the OP may have great difficulty finding the answer to what was a vague question, again presumably because English is not his first language.  I am not the giver of the red arrow as I really don't like them but I did give you a sad face. I am unafraid to tell you that and would do so to your face just as well as on a forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 13/01/2021 at 18:21, MDM said:

 

In my opinion, it is not in the spirit of the forum to tell newcomers who clearly do not have English as a first language to search the forum. The question was asked in good faith and the OP may have great difficulty finding the answer to what was a vague question, again presumably because English is not his first language.  I am not the giver of the red arrow as I really don't like them but I did give you a sad face. I am unafraid to tell you that and would do so to your face just as well as on a forum.

 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. So welcome.

 

 

So how the hell was I supposed to know english was not his 1st language,

 

Goodnight.

 

 

 

Edited by Mr Standfast
I was rude
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, MDM said:

 

In my opinion, it is not in the spirit of the forum to tell newcomers who clearly do not have English as a first language to search the forum. The question was asked in good faith and the OP may have great difficulty finding the answer to what was a vague question, again presumably because English is not his first language.  I am not the giver of the red arrow as I really don't like them but I did give you a sad face. I am unafraid to tell you that and would do so to your face just as well as on a forum.

 

... but wearing a mask while keeping proper distance based on your local guidelines.  😉😷

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 13/01/2021 at 18:00, meanderingemu said:

 

 

 

now i'm curious.  Does anyone ever effectively scan prints?  

 

 

Yes very often and they are no problem.  The only real bind is keeping the scanner constantly free of dust and the print then spend a little while cleaning any stray dust off the scanned image.

 

I use an Epson V550 does the job.

 

Here's one of my Grandfather's photos I inherited that I scanned from a small 2x3 inch print submitted via the archive route

 

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Barton Wright LYR Class 23 0-6-0ST tender engine introduced 1891.  Used for Stock Photo

Edited by David Pimborough
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I photograph my old slides. I use a macro lens, lightbox and film holder. It produces excellent results and have always passed QC but takes a lot of effort to set up and clean in post.
I only scan slides that are unique and can't be re-shot on digital.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Flash68 said:

I photograph my old slides. I use a macro lens, lightbox and film holder. It produces excellent results and have always passed QC but takes a lot of effort to set up and clean in post.
I only scan slides that are unique and can't be re-shot on digital.

 

 

That's what I am doing. I have had QC passes for 35mm Kodachrome copies but in general it is easier to use the Archive route - then I tend to dust bust at 100% but not worry about every single minuscule speck, though must admit that I find it hard to stop when I start! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.