Can I upload scanned analog pictures ?

jordicubells

Question

Hi everyone, I'm new in Alamy, and I want to make sure if I can upload scanned analog pictures.

Can someone help me from some similar past experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards !

Edited by jordicubells
typing mistake

49 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

If these pictures were taken by you then you should not mark them as Public Domain. Public Domain means that they were taken by somebody else - eg) NASA, Creative Commons, art galleries such as the Rijksmusem and made available for anybody to use free of charge and without copyright restrictions.

Just to confirm, if you make a copy of an old photograph / postcard that's fallen out of copyright, this is to be marked as public domain?

17 minutes ago, RyanU said:

Just to confirm, if you make a copy of an old photograph / postcard that's fallen out of copyright, this is to be marked as public domain?

Yes, but it needs to be very old. 70 years after the death of the photographer is a long time.

Even though the period used to be shorter, I wouldn't personally be happy marking anything after about 1920 as being out of copyright without knowing for sure. The last war is certainly not long enough.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RyanU said:

I'd definitely say that a postcard is public domain because there are by definition other copies out there ( you do need to be sure that copyright has expired). With a photograph the  important consideration is copyright but assuming that you have that covered and if the photo is a unique original it would not need to be public domain. ( my opinion only)

The difficulty with images out of copyright is that it is hard if not impossible to control usage. Most Alamy clients seem to play fair and pay for the use.  And I am not going to spell out anything further. 

Personally I label images as Public Domain only when I have found them on NASA, or Creative Commons, or similar and I know that anybody else could do exactly the same. 

Edited by geogphotos

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That doesn't make it out of copyright!

Do you mean "exclusive"?

I didn't say that it did. Apologies if I seem to suggest as much. 

I've edited my post to try and make it more clear.

Edited by geogphotos

10 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I have some old greetings cards and photos my Dad took during his time in the merchant navy, would they be better to upload through normal channels or apply for archive privileges.

I doubt a small scanned print could pass QC.

7 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I was thinking to use a copy stand and a macro lens on a full frame Canon, but sounds like archive is the way to go.

There's no doubting the copy would be sharp, but the original probably won't be at postcard size.

Edited by spacecadet

On 13/01/2021 at 13:14, MDM said:

I take it effectively means of sufficient quality to pass normal QC. I'm sure that would be possible if the original prints were good enough and one had a half decent flatbed scanner plus a bit of skill in post but I am not intending to try it myself as I have no reason to do so. 

I only asked about prints because the original question was vague (scan analogue pictures?). I think a lot of people do copy printed material for uploading by the archival route (or possibly from other agencies). This could be scanned or photographed. 

curious what are the Size requirement for archival route?  do you still need 3000*2000 (or equivalent) ?

20 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

curious what are the Size requirement for archival route?  do you still need 3000*2000 (or equivalent) ?

I'm afraid I don't know as I have never submitted by the archival route but no doubt one of the regulars who do will be able to tell you.

• Thanks 1

I think that 5Mb uncompressed is the minimum compared with 17mb for Stock. For Archive I leave the images as they are and do not reduce the size. Click my blue link to see recent examples. But my slide holder is  homemade one ( thanks again Alan) and I do get the full frame.

When I did desktop scans of some small engravings I sometimes had to upsize slightly just to get over the 5Mb hurdle.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1