Submitting images to multiple agencies

Hi folks

I'm new to stock and was wondering if I could ask for a little bit of advice.

I'm considering contributing to Alamy and am also looking at the possibility of becoming a contributor at a micro stock agency (Shutterstock).

Am I right in thinking it's not the best idea to submit identical images to both of these libraries? After all, a buyer could simply go to the Micro Agency to purchase the same image at a fraction of the cost. That doesn't help Alamy and it doesn't really help me either.  

Is it best to just stick with a single agency? Or do you have separate portfolios (i.e. one for a traditional library and one for a micro library)?

Bear in mind, my collection is currently quite small. I reckon I have around 50-75 saleable images at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

I find it better to submit to one agency.

If you have images better suited to micro then send them there.

Most contributors have gone through this thought process, have tried several and have chosen the agency (ies) which best suit their style, subjects etc.

dov

"Am I right in thinking it's not the best idea to submit identical images to both of these libraries? After all, a buyer could simply go to the Micro Agency to purchase the same image at a fraction of the cost. That doesn't help Alamy and it doesn't really help me either."

Definitely. By submitting the same images too both agencies, you would only be undercutting yourself (i.e. competing with yourself) IMO. Also, one of the reasons why traditional stock photo prices are now so low is that people have flooded microstock agencies with images that shouldn't have been placed there in the first place. 

I'm also with AgeFotostock (not a micro) and it's interesting to see which images they take as it's an edited agency.

It would be interesting to know what you find is your ratio of sales from your two agencies - for similar numbers.

I find Alamy is a clear winner for numbers but lower prices - and with a seeming willingness to re-write their sales contracts on the hoof....

I can add from my experience...

I think it depends what you shoot indeed. I was first for many years at microstock and for me somehow my kind of images work far better there. But on the other hand there are many photographers here that makes lots of revenue.

When you will start submit to shutterstock you will notice sales on the same day that they are accepted. It will be small revenues like 0,33 cents up to 56 dollars(could be few per month).

But this forum is about Alamy. Choice can be also affected by if you shoot editorial. When you shoot editorial and want to have the same images on more agencies then you have to choose OR Microstock OR Alamy. For me it feels that the fight for part of revenue is more easier in microstock. My brother for example started like half year ago and is making allready revenue of 200 dollars per months what i think is very good for somebody that is just half year in stock. Alamy is a harder game,

As long as you realise that AGE Fotostock images are also placed, by them, on Alamy.  So you will be competing with yourself in this instance (so your commission will be split three ways instead of two - and if you are still in the distributor scheme, distributor sales will be split four ways instead of three!).

I'm also with AgeFotostock (not a micro) and it's interesting to see which images they take as it's an edited agency.

Chris

As long as you realise that AGE Fotostock images are also placed, by them, on Alamy.  So you will be competing with yourself in this instance (so your commission will be split three ways instead of two - and if you are still in the distributor scheme, distributor sales will be split three ways instead of four!).

Chris

As far as I know AGE images aren't placed on Alamy as I only chose to submit to agencies that aren't on Alamy too.

John.

As far as I know AGE images aren't placed on Alamy as I only chose to submit to agencies that aren't on Alamy too.

John.

I don't know if any of yours are there, of course,, but

http://www.alamy.com/search/Imageresults.aspx?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=&qn=age&lic=6&lic=1&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=0x00&selectdate=1&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

John.

http://www.alamy.com/search/Imageresults.aspx?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=&qn=age&lic=6&lic=1&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=0x00&selectdate=1&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

Well I never!

I did a search for Age fotostock and it didn't return any images! I also searched for Age fotostock John Keates and no images came up either.

I've also never seen any of my images side by side in searches.

It was a few years ago when I signed up to AGE and there might have been an opt out option to put images with other agencies but I can't remember!!

John.

PS looks like the editor is playing up.

"Am I right in thinking it's not the best idea to submit identical images to both of these libraries? After all, a buyer could simply go to the Micro Agency to purchase the same image at a fraction of the cost. That doesn't help Alamy and it doesn't really help me either."

Definitely. By submitting the same images too both agencies, you would only be undercutting yourself (i.e. competing with yourself) IMO. Also, one of the reasons why traditional stock photo prices are now so low is that people have flooded microstock agencies with images that shouldn't have been placed there in the first place. 

I’m not so sure.  The flood of images overall in the market is really the result of  photography being so much more accessible, no expensive film and the need to get it right first time in camera, editing tools, the much easier learning curve needed and the Internet providing a no hassle, available market.  The micros are simply an inevitable .com response to a market opportunity (wish I thought of it some years ago).  High supply = low prices no matter what your product is.

John.

AGE very recently entered into a contract with Alamy.

John.

Well I never!

I did a search for Age fotostock and it didn't return any images! I also searched for Age fotostock John Keates and no images came up either.

It was a few years ago when I signed up to AGE and there might have been an opt out option to put images with other agencies but I can't remember!!

John.

Age have recently announced that they have signed an agreement to put their exclusive images on Alamy (bit of a contradiction?). Some non-exclusive contributors have complained that their images have also found their way here and that is being sorted out, I believe. I may have to reassess my understanding of the word 'exclusive'.

(Oops, how did I miss the above post?)

all of the agencies sending their images thro distribution makes money for the agencies but does not make money for the photographers as two agencies take a slice of commission. I have opted out of distribution on alamy for this reason.

John.

Well I never!

John.

Age have recently announced that they have signed an agreement to put their exclusive images on Alamy (bit of a contradiction?). Some non-exclusive contributors have complained that their images have also found their way here and that is being sorted out, I believe. I may have to reassess my understanding of the word 'exclusive'.

(Oops, how did I miss the above post?)

Ah, that explains it, thanks.

It does seem a strange definition of exclusive though!

John.

Archived